Altro Contrax flooring and Fat Bob Rugs

Alan Ginger

Psychiatric Nurse (retired)
T6 Guru
I have Altro Contrax flooring in the Campervan. I also bought a set of Fat Bob rugs. When I had my habitation check the person that did the check told me that having a rug down can trap damp resulting in the floor becoming stained.
Has anyone experienced this happening?
Many thanks for your advice as usual.

I have Altro Contrax flooring in the Campervan. I also bought a set of Fat Bob rugs. When I had my habitation check the person that did the check told me that having a rug down can trap damp resulting in the floor becoming stained.
Has anyone experienced this happening?
Many thanks for your advice as usual.

i would think most Carpets for vans are made of poly-propylene and also rubber backed or would slip around on the Altro flooring. They are color fast the fibers are made of the color, even bleach proof. So whether the backing would react with the floor i cant say but unlikely.

Wool carpet holds humidity and are dyed and could release its color. The dyes are either water or alkaline based.

Wool has its place. it also helps maintain a constant humidity in a house it sucks moisture in or gives it up

if you wash and seal the altro floor and just give the rugs an occasional airing. and keep them clean . which is hard in a van.

We bought some rugs at a show, not a popular supplier and after a month or so dye from the rubber backing started shading the flooring underneath, turning it yellow. Bin in this case. I would suspect a more well known brand would have either no issues or be out of business

We bought some rugs at a show, not a popular supplier and after a month or so dye from the rubber backing started shading the flooring underneath, turning it yellow. Bin in this case. I would suspect a more well known brand would have either no issues or be out of business
there's so much cheap carpet out there and how much chemical is left in the cheap backings.
The other thing to avoid is a viscous carpet or material it's made of vegetable fibers that go brown when wet like a cut apple and cant be cleaned unless acid cleaned like adding lemon juice to fruit to stop it browning . if it's cheap and shines its not silk it's viscous .

there's so much cheap carpet out there and how much chemical is left in the cheap backings.
The other thing to avoid is a viscous carpet or material it's made of vegetable fibers that go brown when wet like a cut apple and cant be cleaned unless acid cleaned like adding lemon juice to fruit to stop it browning . if it's cheap and shines its not silk it's viscous .
Viscous?

Back