Alternatives To Carpet?

YIMan

VIP Member
I’m planning my T6 conversion - poptop done and Smartbeds Evo railbed on order for fitting hopefully this month. I’ve got an ICamper table panel to fit to the sliding door.

Having had acres of grey carpet in my T4, I’m not that keen on covering the whole of the interior in fluffy carpet again.

I was thinking that on the drivers side I could do without if it was all covered by furniture and a splash back.

That only really leaves the tailgate and nearside rear quarter where I could do something like cover the ply panel with vinyl or similar.

Has anyone done/seen anything different like this or am I missing the point which might be that loads of bare metal means excessive condensation so it should really mostly be covered with something?

you could always use 0.8mm laminate on some 3.6-4.0mm birch ply, that would looks quite nice.

Morning,

I was in the same boat. Carpet is great for durability and sound deadening, for sure.
But I didn’t want it everywhere.

I have fitted a Dub Plastics / TrimTech kit - it’s a plastic lining kit that comes in grey (Just Kampers do a black version).

You line the whole van with it - it’s a kicker knowing that you’ll cover half of it up with furniture but it does give you a clean finished interior.
However they don’t cater for the tailgate or the slider too well, so you’d probably end up considering retrofitting a VW trim from a Caravelle or Shuttle.

Alternatively you can line with vinyl - there’s a thread on here somewhere where some has glued vinyl straight on to metal but I can’t find it.

Deaky (self-build) and Jason (at AbsoluT5) have also done some vinyl work -
Click on the arrow of these quoted posts to see their work:

When I changed all the lower dash to black I decided to plastidye them. Unfortunately this has scratched from swivelling the seats so I thought I'd bite the bullet and cover them in vinyl.

No going back now
View attachment 43518

It all worked out good though. The other side is going to be a bit more difficult as it will need a bit sewing in around the seat belt anchor. Fortunately I know a few sewing machinists :D

View attachment 43520

I've also added a pin at the top of the upper cover. The original was removed when the roof was fitted so this will just keep the top of the cover nice and tight against the roof lining

View attachment 43521

When Colin @VWVC fitted my velle floor he kindly gave me a threshold cover, again this was light grey. They're £115 from VW so I covered this in vinyl too

View attachment 43519

Well chuffed with the result :inlove:

View attachment 43524

View attachment 43523
View attachment 43522

Last edited:
Finally got round and ordered samples from harrisons.

Need to be more decisive. Ok on tech stuff but as soon as i gotta choose colours, finishes....

Finally got round and ordered samples from harrisons.

Need to be more decisive. Ok on tech stuff but as soon as i gotta choose colours, finishes....

Colour is very subjective, one of my favourites is the one above

Having had carpet on my last 2 vans (T5 and T5.1) I’ve decided on my T6 that I’m not going for anything. We have a dog and carpet is a nightmare. I also use the van for work, camping (to carry the tent) mountain biking etc so keeping as a standard Kombi and polishing the interior metal work for ease

We started doing vinyl many years ago, as we got asked by a dog owner for easy to wipe surfaces,

And it dosent leave much carpet to clean except the arches which you can get ABS covers for ..

Also makes it more individual as colour choice is huge

Back