(Alloy) wheels seized on to (steel) hubs.

Vanlady

VIP Member
I bought a T32 Petrol TSI Kombi Highline window van 1984cc ( 2018 ) in January 2021. The local ATS removed an alloy wheel to repair a puncture and had difficulty separating it from the steel hub.
Further investigation reveals that this is a common problem with combinations of unlike metals! Would I be wise to have the remaining wheels removed, cleaned and an "anti-seize" compound applied? What did you do? Advice please.

Steel wheels do the same. My trick is to untighten all, jack up, remove wheel bolts but leave the top one 1/3 in, then drop the jack slowly until the wheel pops off the hub. Jack back up and remove wheel.

Clean the hub with wire brush then copper or silicone grease it and squish some into the hub threads while you're at it. Sorted. :thumbsup:

Surely common sense indicates that it would be wise to do the same for the other wheels..

The last thing you need is to be unable to remove the wheels if you were to have an issue with the tyres in the future.

Steel wheels do the same. My trick is to untighten all, jack up, remove wheel bolts but leave the top one 1/3 in, then drop the jack slowly until the wheel pops off the hub. Jack back up and remove wheel.

Clean the hub with wire brush then copper or silicone grease it and squish some into the hub threads while you're at it. Sorted. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I'll try that.

Surely common sense indicates that it would be wise to do the same for the other wheels..

The last thing you need is to be unable to remove the wheels if you were to have an issue with the tyres in the future.
Thanks for your reply. Boris keeps telling me to use my "common sense" and I've used it all!

Back