Loz, each to his own, and stay the right side of the law; but are you sure about this?
My insurers are fine?
Lots of other insurers are fine?
Lots of off road tyres carry low(ish) speed ratings but are used on very powerful Landrovers/Rangerovers/Toyota Landcruisers etc etc.
Double cab pick ups are 200bhp+ now, and they are real off roaders, often running real off road tyres
The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001
6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

and Michelins web site says:

"If a lower speed-rated tyre is selected, then the vehicle top speed becomes limited to that of the lower speed rating selected. You must be informed of the new speed restriction."

i.e. a sticker on the sun visor informing you of a new speed restriction

and Michelins web site says:

"If a lower speed-rated tyre is selected, then the vehicle top speed becomes limited to that of the lower speed rating selected. You must be informed of the new speed restriction."

i.e. a sticker on the sun visor informing you of a new speed restriction
Perfect...

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001
6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.
These regs are for manufactures guidance/approval, they are not the governing regs for operating or maintaining a vehicle. I think? imo? maybe? ;)

Need to find my MOT guidelines paper...

Sounds like a night shift job for @Thogg :)
There is pages of info on this in my Hughes guide to traffic law. Without going through it all and possibly falling asleep it uses the word "shall" a lot. This usually means there is some legislation/law/offences possible if you are not complying.
Then there's a whole bunch of subsections that use the word "unless"
In short it's probably easier to comply than not... it's only ever an issue when it all goes wrong.

There is pages of info on this in my Hughes guide to traffic law. Without going through it all and possibly falling asleep it uses the word "shall" a lot. This usually means there is some legislation/law/offences possible if you are not complying.
Then there's a whole bunch of subsections that use the word "unless"
In short it's probably easier to comply than not... it's only ever an issue when it all goes wrong.
I quite agree, comply if you can. But that would exclude a lot of cars from much safer winter tyres in some conditions; but there is obviously something that allows people to fit "non OEM" tyres. After all the law allows you to drive with only 1.6mm across most of the tyre; I wouldn't do that either.:thumbsup:

Here we go... I think the winter tyres exemption is that you are not meant to run them in hot weather.. I.e. All year, you are meant to inform your insurance when you fit them, and in the weather they are designed to address, you would be daft to exceed the speed limits they are rated at Anyways... So it is an exception to the rule under safety issues, as is a temporary measure for the adverse weather situations...

I had a TERRIBLE experience with Winter tyres on my 335d; turned the car from a fast powerful estate into a near death-trap.
After a big fight I got a refund - IMO the super soft walls and hard treads are awful.

On the other hand my Michelin CrossClimates have been brilliant and work in pretty much everything - they retain the "normal" sidewalls of a Summer tyre.

So I'd get decent snow rated All Weather tyres - not Winter ones.

It's what proper off roaders like Defenders use and they do fine in snow.

interesting subjects wheels and tyres, don't you think?:thumbsup:

Came across this on "tirereview.com" an american site giving the spelling of "tire". it's a riveting read;)

There are some tradeoffs, though. A higher speed rating is generally accompanied by a firmer ride, lower tread life and poor cold weather performance.
Recent developments, especially in tread compounds, have reduced some of the tradeoffs, but V, Z, W and Y-rated tires are usually better suited to high performance vehicles and warmer temperatures.

So it looks like if you run very high spec summer tyres in cooler weather i.e. below 7degrees C, that can also be a real problem!!!!!

I'm really into the all weather/all season tyres seem to offer pretty much everything, especially for T6 type vehicles.

This is a very interesting read albeit a bit nerdy..

Attachments

• discussion_document.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 46
This is a very interesting read albeit a bit nerdy..
Thats a great find.
I have a motorhome(fiat ducato chassis), with an aftermarket tyre pal pressure temperature gauge (screw on valve dust caps with transmitters). I have it because the rear tyres run at 80psi, with a 116 load rating and the vehicle is awfully close to the tyres max. The tyres are factory fit, and my axel weights are within the limits. Set of in the UK on a warm summers day, and the tyre temps go up and up and so does the pressure. The gauge only goes up to 99psi, and my tyre go off the limits, so god only knows????. I would love some more capacity in the rear tyres (Load wise), because it always feel awfully close to the limit. But I will have to increase the tyre width to get a higher load.

The section on sudden tyre failure resulting from heat build up is so true, got to get those pressure correct.

Re the tyre speed rating thing. I wonder if the answer looks something like this:

If you are running regular summer tyres, they must have the correct speed rating. End Of
If you are running a terrain/weather/season specific tyre you must have good reason to run that tyre, if it has a reduced speed rating; and you must ensure that all drivers of the vehicle are aware of its new speed restriction. And you must ensure that your insurers offer suitable cover for this.

I've just made this up but it seems sensible if nothing else.

Back