TeamT

hi all, does anyone have all terrain tyres on their van? I love the look but am interested in how loud they are compared to smoother tyres and if there are any other draw backs people have encountered, thanks

I used to drive an L200 with all terrain tyres on it for work. It was blooming awesome off road, not so good on road. I crashed it on the way to an incident on blues, when a woman I was overtaking pulled out to overtake the car in front of her. Due to the way the rubber is constructed it doesn't grip too well on tarmac. So when the brakes went on, it just slid, and I slammed into her.

Thanks for reply DaveyB, something to think about, brakes are pretty useful things to have..!

hi all, does anyone have all terrain tyres on their van? I love the look but am interested in how loud they are compared to smoother tyres and if there are any other draw backs people have encountered, thanks
I ran 255/55/18 General Grabber AT on my T5
general-grabber-at-215-65r16.jpg
really good tyre 50k miles life; quiet; grippy off road
Have switched to Nokian Weatherproof do pretty much what a GG AT can do off road, but better in standing water, and ice imo (which are the high risk road conditions). But the GG AT are really tuff, look good, but the size options are limited; mine where 7.5% over sized.

I ran 255/55/18 General Grabber AT on my T5
View attachment 6177
really good tyre 50k miles life; quiet; grippy off road
Have switched to Nokian Weatherproof do pretty much what a GG AT can do off road, but better in standing water, and ice imo (which are the high risk road conditions). But the GG AT are really tuff, look good, but the size options are limited; mine where 7.5% over sized.
blimey, that's a tyre and a half.

The only all terrain I can find at the moment that fits ours that is speed and weight rated is the Michelin Lattitude Cross.

The only all terrain I can find at the moment that fits ours that is speed and weight rated is the Michelin Lattitude Cross.
Loz, have you tried LoveTyres? Have found them to be pretty good and bought my last few sets from them.

Never heard of them are they a tyre brand or a supplier?

Yep, ran them on my T5 also, in the 235/60/16 size, they last really well, better than standard van tyres in all aspects; dry/wet/off road/ longline/ snow. The only down side is that they are a summer compound, so not the best in winter. i think the all- season/all-weather tyres are better as a year round bet, no need to change tyres in winter, yet you get virtually all the benefits of a winter tyre in winter, and also very good in summer and off road.

Reactions: Loz
Never heard of them are they a tyre brand or a supplier?
They are an on-line supplier. On one purchase I bought four tyres from them for what I could get 3 tyres for from a shop, and the shop was quoting best part of £250 per tyre, so a big saving. Then had them fitted myself at £15 per wheel. Almost £200 saved. And that was for the same brand.

Got ya, I have used openeo a couple of times, they are like a market place for tyre stockists who offer their stock through the online site.

The only thing you have to watch for is the age of the tyre you receive. A member on mytreg.com received a set of tyres that were new but 4 years old according to the 4 digit manufacturing code on the sidewall.

I was looking at the cooper a/t discoverer 235/60/17, any experience with these?
Slightly oversize by 3.5% and only 102 weight rated only T rated for speed and think we need H minimum..

otherwise a nice pattern and side lug..

I thought Goodyear did a good load rated All Weather tyre?
I'll fit some soon; darned silly having sports biased tyres on a 4wd van. However they ar quiet and apparently low drag or something. So maybe we get an extra 0.001 mpg.

I want some more for toughness than anything else; already had a nail in our Bridgestones.

Mates have those GGs on their 180 4motion; a bit OTT but I like them.

Last edited:
Chris; my bro in law lives in Sweden; you see loads of Nokians there.
I like my CrossClimates on the Subaru but I reckon I'll probably look out for those Nokians for the van. How much per corner?

Chris; my bro in law lives in Sweden; you see loads of Nokians there.
I like my CrossClimates on the Subaru but I reckon I'll probably look out for those Nokians for the van. How much per corner?
I got them from
Tyres
who's a listed nokian agent, based in Buxton Derbyshire, where they get proper snow most years.
Just tried to find the invoice on my email, but struggling.
Paid about £113 each ( I think) mail order from memory about a year ago. (got the tyres months before the van even arrived:))
I had to wait a few weeks, as the Nokian had just won some European test, and there was no availability anywhere, but supply should be OK now I guess.:thumbsup:

Last night I ordered a set of Steels and Michelin Lattitude Cross.

I would have gone for BFG but nothing suitable for 17" wheels.

Back