So, in relation to a thread I posted re a droning noise, I am going to change my tyres.
I bought the van on 16k, with, I assume the original Continentals on. I`m at about 38k now, and last winter I really struggled in the snow and ice. No grip at all, and some bum gravey moments.
I don`t want full blown winter tyres, as i`m lazy, and can`t be bothered to change things summer/winter.
So, I am looking for a solid 'all rounder', which I can leave on all year, and will give me decent grip in winter, and will also be ok for summer use.
Any recommendations welcome
18” Winter Tyres

I know some people run Car or SUV versions of the Michelin Crossclimate tyre but I went for the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tyres in the end after some discussion with Michelin technical team about load ratings, compounds and wear quality. They are right from a load and robustness point of view for a van. The Agilis are chunkier that the Car/SUV versions but they are still quite. Great in soft ground but not tried them in snow yet!

They are about £140 each but the compound is better wearing than the car/SUV versions so are claimed to last longer and cost per mile cheaper. Time will tell!

Must admit I am well impressed with them so far and they are much quieter that the Continentals that came off (factory fit) and ride really nice. :)

Discover the MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on www.michelin.co.uk

dsc_8122c-jpg.25793

I know some people run Car or SUV versions of the Michelin Crossclimate tyre but I went for the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tyres in the end after some discussion with Michelin technical team about load ratings, compounds and wear quality. They are right from a load and robustness point of view for a van. The Agilis are chunkier that the Car/SUV versions but they are still quite. Great in soft ground but not tried them in snow yet!

They are about £140 each but the compound is better wearing than the car/SUV versions so are claimed to last longer and cost per mile cheaper. Time will tell!

Must admit I am well impressed with them so far and they are much quieter that the Continentals that came off (factory fit) and ride really nice. :)

Discover the MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on www.michelin.co.uk

dsc_8122c-jpg.25793
I wanted to fit these, but they don’t make a 17”. Have just ordered a set of Pirelli Carrier all season, they should be here by next week.

Just to be clear, the SUV version, which I have, is also perfectly fine for load rating etc for the T6 as I also spoke to Michelin when I got mine. The van version was not yet out then but the rep told me the only difference would be the compound, giving longer wear time at the sacrifice of a tiny bit of dry braking distance. I don't know about the van version, but the SUVs are def available in 17" as that's what I have.

And I'd agree about them being quieter than the Contis, that surprised me too!

I had the michelin crossclimate + on a 240bhp s-max. After 10,000 miles they had worn about 1.5 mm from 7-8, worked brilliantly in the 6"+ snow and ice, and were good handling, quiet and good in the dry and wet. I'm gutted I can't get them in 19" for my new 'velle wheels.
For the S-max, 16" were about £480 a year and a half ago.

wanted to fit these, but they don’t make a 17”. Have just ordered a set of Pirelli Carrier all season, they should be here by next week.
Please let us know how these work - our 66 reg T6 204 manual is just being converted to a campervan by Nu-Venture Motorhomes (to watch the conversion, see dantheman321 on YouTube) - but I digress!
The van has done only 9000 miles, but the front tyres (215/60/17) are very worn, and I need all-season replacements. The Pirelli Carriers sound good on spec., but I have seen no reviews of them, so I will be interested to hear from anyone running them.

Michelin Cross Climates for me too, seem to be good all rounders, mine have no wear after 12,000 miles really

We also have Cross Climate + on an old Fiat Doblo 120bhp (185/65/15), and have run them for 15,000 hard miles. Very little wear, (at least as far again, I reckon), good handling and good traction in snow. Only thing they don't do, compared to a VW Caddy we also have, which runs proper Winter tyres, is STOP as well in snow - need to allow considerably more room and cadence brake. But of course, the Cross Climates are vastly better than summer tyres.
If they were available in our T6 tyre size, I'd certainly buy them, but as they're not, looks like it will have to be the Pirelli Carriers.

My choice is Nokian SUV weatherproof:
Nokian Weatherproof SUV - The high-performance Nokian Weatherproof SUV can carry and manage its high wheel loads surely and firmly on ice, snow, bare roads or even the ever treacherous slush. / Nokian Tyres
There is a difference between the all-seasons, and there are quite a few to choose from:
The Michelins Climate+ seem to win out in dry/summer performance testing, so defiantly the better bet for a hot hatch. Also if you live further south in the UK, you may not need all out snow ability
The Nokians will definitely out form the michelins in snow - lots of test data to show this; also the Nokian weatherproofs can out perform some winter tyres.
My thoughts are the Nokians are closer to an all-terrain in mud/wet grass etc. I've got quite alot of experience with A/T tyres, and just looking at the tread pattern confirms this. Whilst my Vel is a 4-motion, I spent an afternoon pulling cars/caravans/motorhomes of a wet/muddy grass field, and the Nokians are very very impressive.

The Good Year Vector gen2, are between the Nokians & Michelins I believe; better than the Michelins in poor conditions; better than the Nokians in dry/summer condition.

So my opinion is it really depends to what you need the tyre to do; but given most of us don't drive vans like GTI's;); I think the Nokians offer me a better blend of abilities. You can expect 40k miles out of a set, and still have 3mm left.

But the new Agilis climate+ throws it up in the air again..... so who knows. I think they are all good tyres. Unless you need a tyre bigger than 16", which most of us do.

Last edited:
22442470-4BEA-49C8-BA40-B9DE2BE79D62.jpeg 33A385FC-9D78-4D50-BB67-153DADF8957E.jpeg ..... Nokian ... prova sulla neve, stanno bene ... meno sullo sporco o sul fango ... non sono fatti per questo ..

Just to be clear, the SUV version, which I have, is also perfectly fine for load rating etc for the T6 as I also spoke to Michelin when I got mine. The van version was not yet out then but the rep told me the only difference would be the compound, giving longer wear time at the sacrifice of a tiny bit of dry braking distance. I don't know about the van version, but the SUVs are def available in 17" as that's what I have.
Can’t find a 215/60/17 / 107-109 in either SUV or van flavour

Thanks for everyone's advice. Eventually ended up with a pair of Pirelli Carrier All-Seasons - will be having them fitted shortly, now our van's conversion has been completed. Will report on how I get on with them, once they've played on a little snow!

This post has triggered more spending :oops:

Really think i need to think about taking my eagle f1s off for winter? @Tourershine your thoughts?

You'd assume the amount of tyres i've chopped and changed recently, that i'd be a tyre Guru by now, but sadly the fact I cannot get it right seems to suggest quite the opposite.

I've finally beaten down @T6180 into letting me have his banded 18's and they are currently running Eagle F1's but i'm not sure if i'd run F1's through the winter. I've given up on the chunky 4x4 tyres now, and looking at just going full out winter tyres on potentially the banded 18s and putting my banded 19s to bed in the garage. (after Duchy re-furbs the results of a house brick left on the road:()

I stuck a set of budget jinyu full winters on my wife's Mini today, after being recommended these over some higher end brands, and they seem to drive really nice on the greasy wet roads, but only time will tell if they are any good.
In conclusion, i'm as in the dark as the rest of you with winter tyres, but the general consensus seems to be that proper winter tyres are more suited for our vans, than big off road monsters, so it's my next purchase hopefully.

I will add that I ran the Nexen SU1 through the winter last year, and although they never got me stuck, they didn't inspire a lot of confidence when the snow hit, and led to a few scary moments. Hence why this year I want dedicated winter wheels and tyres.

Last edited:
I ended up with Goodyear Cargo Vector 2. The noise reduction from the old conti`s was huge.
Can`t comment on the grip in the snow yet, but I have put about 3k on them in just a few weeks, and they seem to hold the road well.

i have a 3 goodyear cargo vector 2 on gumtree at moment 2 with 7mm ish tread one a get you home spare not pictured 107\109 load rated taken off my t32 will do a discount to forum member bought 4 nokians hence sale cheers 20181107_194729.jpg 20181107_194944.jpg 20181107_194804.jpg 20181107_195016.jpg 20181107_194830.jpg

Can i ask what the difference is between the CrossClimate + and the CrossClimate suv tyres? On the various tyre selling pages some recommend the + and others recommend the suv. My current tyres are 235/45/17 and the + come in that size, whereas the suv come in 235/55/17, my van isn't lowered so they should fit no issue. I have the 204 4motion.

It's my first winter with the velle, and i always had all seasons on my previous cars as it made such a difference. My tyres have 4mm(ish) remaining and i'm unsure whether to bin them off as they are and fit the crossclimates, so or get some winter wheels and utilise the 4mm next summer.

I did have my heart set on some black wheels with All Terrains but i've heard they are awful in the snow, and seeing as i live in a town and don't do much on fields i'd look a bit of a tit sliding up and down my road with monster truck tyres.

Any options appreciated.

Back