skyhigh_71

Hi, newbie here so please forgive if I have missed an earlier response on this - I have searched the forum.

I have 18" wolfrace Eurosport aero's fitted which came from the camper conversion company with budget sports tyres. The tyres are wearing fast and are useless on grass/mud/snow.

I'm looking for all seasons tyres as we live in a rural area and often get bad weather and also take the van to muddy campsites/festivals.

I cannot find an all weather of the right size 255/45-R18-103W, only full winters. Anyone know of something of a decent brand please. Nokian have a 55 profile but I think this will be too deep.

Also, do 18" wheel and tyre combo fit in the spare wheel carrier underneath the van? I just bought a spare wolfrace alloy as one of ours was damaged when a 4x4 driver forced my wife off the road. It's repairable and I'd like to use as the spare.

Cheers

Oh, and bye Welcome to this most wonderful T6 forum:)
We use our van in a very similar way to you, really good all round solution, the 235 size is better in poor conditions imo, as it bites better into the surface with its narrower width; be that rain/puddles;snow;ice;mud;wet grass etc. I can virtually guarantee that you will be very impressed:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi, newbie here so please forgive if I have missed an earlier response on this - I have searched the forum.

I have 18" wolfrace Eurosport aero's fitted which came from the camper conversion company with budget sports tyres. The tyres are wearing fast and are useless on grass/mud/snow.

I'm looking for all seasons tyres as we live in a rural area and often get bad weather and also take the van to muddy campsites/festivals.

I cannot find an all weather of the right size 255/45-R18-103W, only full winters. Anyone know of something of a decent brand please. Nokian have a 55 profile but I think this will be too deep.

Also, do 18" wheel and tyre combo fit in the spare wheel carrier underneath the van? I just bought a spare wolfrace alloy as one of ours was damaged when a 4x4 driver forced my wife off the road. It's repairable and I'd like to use as the spare.

Cheers
Have a look at my earlier threads regarding the General AT3 all terrains. 235/55/18 load rated. Fantastic tyre and looks good too.

Have a look at my earlier threads regarding the General AT3 all terrains. 235/55/18 load rated. Fantastic tyre and looks good too.
Good to hear you're getting on well with them; are there any down sides with the GG A/T3 tread pattern?
I ran GG A/T on my T5 and Volvo XC60 both 255/55/18's just bit too oversized for the T5, but yours are spot on size wise imo.

Good to hear you're getting on well with them; are there any down sides with the GG A/T3 tread pattern?
I ran GG A/T on my T5 and Volvo XC60 both 255/55/18's just bit too oversized for the T5, but yours are spot on size wise imo.
No downsides at all. I live 1400ft up a gravel track. Coped with all the snow we have had. Transformed the ride of the t32 that was really harsh.
Had the same tyres on 3 discovery’s and they all averaged 30k on each set with a bit of swapping around.
Can’t recommend them enough. And they have rim protection for when the John Deere forces you in the verge.

@chriscroft, I looked at the Nokian tyres. These look ideal But....

My wheels are 8.5J width, and I believe the Sportline alloys are 8J, is that correct. I don't want to have 235 width tyres being stretched on 8.5J rims

Nokian also offer Weatherproof in 255/55R18 109V XL, so the width is good, but the profile is 10% higher. Any advice on that please?

Also, my googling suggested factory Sportline T6 with 18" wheels are supplied without a spare (inflator and repair glue instead) . Does this mean 18" won't fit in the under body spare wheel carrier?

Our van is a 150TDi Highline SWB. It came with 16" factory alloys and I am beginning to regret being talked into the 18" wheels, nice as they look.

Many thanks

Everything I can see online suggests that 235's are fine on 8.5" rims; some suggest you can go as narrow as 225's. I think because 50 aspect ratio gives a reasonably deep side wall depth, it allows more compensation in wheel width. It should be absolutely fine.

255/55/18's fit fine, you may need a wheel spacer just to reduce rubbing on full lock;
Is your van lowered?, or are you considering lowering it in the future?
If so I think a 30mm drop is probably your max. these tyres will give a 7.5% variance to your gearing; you will certainly notice a tail off in performance, particularly from stand still.
I had this size on my T5 and it was running around 240bhp/540Nm, and i could tell the difference! Having said that, it still went fine.
255/55/18 do look fab imo.
Having run both diameters, my choice would be the 235/55/18 or 235/60/17 (same rolling radius), other than looks they are better in terms of driving dynamics/performance/fuel economy/zero rubbing on the plastic wheel arch liners.

Yep 18" VW factory wheel package doesn't get a spare wheel, but the compressor/tyre sealant.
I was going to order 18" "Springfields", but the mrs wouldn't be without spare.
I think the reason is all about cost and weights (18" wheels+tyre weigh more than 17"wheels+tyre... I Think), so the gross/net weights of the vans get altered by this.
I don't think there is anything stopping you from buying a spare wheel carrier and fitting it with a 16"/17"/18" wheel a tyre of the same diameter as the fitted wheels. Some people who have had much larger wheel/tyre diameters have had to fit the spare slightly deflated of air to get it to fit into the wheel well.
I think the 235/55/18 would fit in without deflation.......Perhaps somebody can confirm this??

Don't regret the 18" wheels, It really should be quite easy to get round, and fit a spare wheel; My choice would still be 235/55/18 Nokians. they will work brilliantly

If you really feel the need to change, consider buying some 17" Devonports from this forum or ebay; Then Sell your 18" (you will be £££'s in) and stick come 235/60/17 Nokians on.
Either-way you will have a really good solution imo.
It just comes down to personal preference regarding aesthetics. You can't go wrong:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Everything I can see online suggests that 235's are fine on 8.5" rims; some suggest you can go as low as 225's. I think because 50 aspect ratio gives a reasonably deep side wall depth, it allows more compensation in wheel width. It should be absolutely fine.

255/55/18's fit fine, you may need a wheel spacer just to reduce rubbing on full lock; Is your van lowered, or are you considering lowering it in the future. If so I think a 30mm drop is probably your max. these tyres will give a 7.5% variance to your gearing; you will certainly notice a tail off in performance, particularly from stand still. I had this size on my T5 and it was running around 240bhp/540Nm, and i could tell the difference. Having said that, it still went fine. 255/55/18 look fab imo. Having run both diameters, my choice would be the 235/55/18 or 235/60/17 (same rolling radius)

Yep 18" VW factory wheel package doesn't get a spare wheel, but the compressor/tyre sealant.
I was going to order 18" "Springfields", but the mrs wouldn't be without spare. I think the reason is all about cost and weights (18" wheels+tyre weigh more than 17"wheels+tyre... I Think), so the gross/net weights of the vans get altered by this.
I don't think there is anything stopping you from buying a spare wheel carrier and fitting it with a 16"/17"/18" wheel a tyre of the same diameter. Some people who have had much larger wheel/tyre diameters have had to fit the spare slightly deflated to get it to fir into the wheel well. i think the 235/55/18 would fit in without deflation.......Perhaps somebody can confirm this??

Don't regret the 18" wheels, It really should be quite easy to get round, and fit a spare wheel; my choice would still be 235/55/18 Nokians. they will work brilliantly

If you really feel the need to change, buy some 17" Devonports from this forum or ebay; sell your 18" (you will be £££'s in)
and stick come 235/60/17 Nokians on.
Either-way you will have a really good solution imo.
It just comes down to personal preference regarding aesthetics. You can't go wrong:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Be carful using a 255/55. I tried one just to see How they scrubbed and it was an interesting process. Without spacer they only scrubbed on over steer and with spacer, no scrub. Then we noticed that the suspension travel when compressed on full lock did scrub even with a spacer. Bear this in mind if you do go off the beaten track.

Nokian Weatherproof tyres fitted and looking good. Was slightly concerned about full lock clearance bit it's fine. Thanks for all of the great feedback. IMG_20180326_183626.jpg

So, in relation to a thread I posted re a droning noise, I am going to change my tyres.
I bought the van on 16k, with, I assume the original Continentals on. I`m at about 38k now, and last winter I really struggled in the snow and ice. No grip at all, and some bum gravey moments.
I don`t want full blown winter tyres, as i`m lazy, and can`t be bothered to change things summer/winter.
So, I am looking for a solid 'all rounder', which I can leave on all year, and will give me decent grip in winter, and will also be ok for summer use.
Any recommendations welcome

I have Michelin Cross Climates, been very happy with them so far, though they've yet to see snow they've coped with wet, boggy fields and 100mph+ autobahn runs with no issues. From the reviews on Youtube, I'm not expecting any difficulties with snow, if/when it comes.

I have Michelin Cross Climates, been very happy with them so far, though they've yet to see snow they've coped with wet, boggy fields and 100mph+ autobahn runs with no issues. From the reviews on Youtube, I'm not expecting any difficulties with snow, if/when it comes.
Do you mind me asking how much they cost you ?

Back