All-round Tyre Recommendation

albiro

Hi all,

I'm looking for some tyre recommendations for my T6 T32 on 20" rims. I currently have some Powetrac Cityracing 275/40R20 106V XL tyres, which came with the van when I bought it second hand a few months ago, and I'm looking for some good all-round tyres for fuel economy and grip in the wet.

dk35Tmu.jpg

I know very little about tyres, so I'm effectively looking at tyre sites and going by their general ratings listed on their site - something like this would seem to fit the bill:

Tyre Dunlop 275/40 R20 106Y XL, MFS | SP Quattromaxx | TyreLeader.co.uk

I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on how they go about deciding tyres, and what has worked for them.

Alvaro

I've personally tried almost every mainstream brand on the market now, and found the best all round tyre on my 19" wheels are Nexen SU1.
Saying that, i'm currently running full winter tyres, so be careful running a full summer tyre during the winter, they are not ideal in my opinion.

So that's not really helped has it... :confused:

It's not likely that I would swap wheels on a per-season basis, thus looking for "all-round" kind of tyres. I understand the different purposes of winter and summer tyres, but I guess I don't understand how a tyre can be classed as a "summer" tyrem and have an A rating in the rain?

It's not likely that I would swap wheels on a per-season basis, thus looking for "all-round" kind of tyres. I understand the different purposes of winter and summer tyres, but I guess I don't understand how a tyre can be classed as a "summer" tyrem and have an A rating in the rain?

The tyre you've put above is a 4x4 Summer tyre. I tried that route on a pervious van, running Continental 4x4 summer, with the hope they'd be good as all year round tyres, but they weren't.
I guess you need to search an 'All-season' 20" tyre.

If you put the words 'All season' in the search box on here, there's a few different threads with recommendations.

Understood, I'll have a look around, thanks.

I'm not too up on the exact load ratings required for a T32, but I'm guessing as long as I look for a 106(V/Y/W) XL, it should be good?

The more I've looked into this, the more it seems like a better idea of having both winter and summer tyres, since I have space to keep the spares.

What are the pros and cons of something like what I have now (275/40) vs something like 245/45?

275 would would seem to offer more contact surface with the ground, which I guess is probably less fuel efficient, but other than that?

The more I've looked into this, the more it seems like a better idea of having both winter and summer tyres, since I have space to keep the spares.

What are the pros and cons of something like what I have now (275/40) vs something like 245/45?

275 would would seem to offer more contact surface with the ground, which I guess is probably less fuel efficient, but other than that?
Probably work out cheaper to buy a set of standard vw devenport alloys with goodyear cargo vectors m+s tyres .
I have see nearly new sets for £500 ,tyres alone would cost that .

If you've got a fast car i would agree with 2 sets of tyres/wheels; But for a Van I honestly think all-season/all-weather such as the Nokian/Goodyear/Michelin offers a better solution unless you are travelling in Finland or similar in winter alot; or spending 3 months in Spain during the summer.
Why: because the UK climate is different to many parts of Europe, and we often get warm winters and winters don't always perform well in these conditions; the all-season all-weather are Mud and Snow rated. so if you go onto soft ground in summer or winter they grip so much better than most summer rubber; Vans don't need the ultimate grip that summer tyres offer, and that you may want in a hot hatch car etc.; The all-weather tyres are generally very good in deep stood water etc; and they last 35k+ miles, which most summer will not.
I've been running VW T's for about 14 years/200k miles; and am an absolute convert to these all-season tyres particularly the premium ones; and my favourites for my van are the Nokians; but the Goodyears/Michelins are also incredibly good tyres all year round.

The reason I run different sets of wheel in summer and winter is to keep my summer wheels away from road salt and the damage it causes.

Last edited:
Why reason I run different sets of wheel in summer and winter is to keep my summer wheels away from road salt and the damage it causes.
My view is I want my van to look equally good in winter as summer; and I want it to have high Utility and fitness for purpose, so I choose wheels that can do this. But I do know some diamond cuts don't like winter; but I've had good quality diamond cuts and 6 years later after all year running where still 100% (other than very minor dings; but no blistering).
I do understand why in very cold countries why people with 21" sports wheels run smaller steel wheels; because many winters tyres aren't available in larger diameter sizes, so you need smaller wheels; some winter tyres work better in smaller diameters; in snow covered surfaces it is easier to damage your wheels, because you cannot see kerbs/pot holes as easily etc; so deeper tyre side walls help protect rims; OEM large dia alloys cost £500-600+ per corner; steel wheels in 17" cost from £75 per corner.
So I do get it why you might go this route; i just prefer a tyre/wheel combo which is better in summer/winter/'autumn/spring for my needs, and thats all-seasons; and it works out cheaper; win-win-win-win
Just my opinion, I'm not saying other views are relevant.

The other down side of changing tyres ,is probably £50 to swop over and then £50 to swop back .

Or nothing if you do it yourself - which also gives a great opportunity to check disc/pad/suspension condition and spot anything that needs attention.

The other down side of changing tyres ,is probably £50 to swop over and then £50 to swop back .
and it's a p.i.t.a.; and there's never an obvious time to it; especially if one weekend you're down south; the next weekend up north; seasonally there can be 2 months between each end of the UK ice/snow/temperature wise; never mind going off the hard pavement. oooh :devil::mad: such tough decisions.

I'm finding it hard to find some all-seasons tyres from brands I recognise for 275/40R20, without going mega bucks for something like Pirelli Cinturator P7 A/S which has a wooping price tag.

Having done some basic calculations, the wall tyre "height" is the same on a 275/40 (110mm) as a 245/45 (110.25mm), so presumably there wouldn't need to be any adjustments to the suspension by swapping from a 275/40 to a 245/45, or any other adjustments to the vehicle other than just getting the tyres changed, is that right?

Last edited:
But I do know some diamond cuts don't like winter; but I've had good quality diamond cuts and 6 years later after all year running where still 100% (other than very minor dings; but no blistering).
Could I ask @chriscroft , what were the diamond cut wheels that you had, that lasted so well?

They were on a volvo XC R-design OEM MY 2012 90k miles from new, 19" dark grey/silver sold 2018 wheels like new. But like most OEM they would be £500+ per corner.

Ah. Thanks. Sorry, thought for a minute you'd found a durable diamond cut for a Transporter. Looking for grey colour but with diamond cut rim.

Ah. Thanks. Sorry, thought for a minute you'd found a durable diamond cut for a Transporter. Looking for grey colour but with diamond cut rim.
I was speaking to the chap who powder coats for me; and he mentioned it's mostly down to the lacquer top coat quality. So may-be you could have a new wheel re-lacquered by a top wheel refurber from new, to ensure protection.????

Back