Alcohol and keys

Why drink alcohol when intending to drive any distance is beyond me….we have enough accidents on the road without the added drivers that are still under the influence….
Yes there is a formula …the time after your last drink ( how long you drank for ) but do you really want to test it…..
JUST BE SAFE….:)

Having received information that the man will drive away from the pub, whilst drunk, the Officers have to ask themselves,
"What if we sit up the road, wait for him to drive, we put the blue lights on and he makes off, we have a high speed pursuit, he collides with another car, multiple people are killed. Could we have avoided that?"
Who wants to be the Officer at the inquest when the coroner asks, "Did you consider the risk to the public and the drink driver in allowing that drunk driver to leave the pub car park?"
That leads to the public taking the law into their own hands, one of the reasons I’ll never be able to pass the Police entry requirements;)

That leads to the public taking the law into their own hands, one of the reasons I’ll never be able to pass the Police entry requirements;)
It's similar to the situation when Police carry out surveillance on known criminals and wait for a crime to occur, this may endanger the public, but without the offence being committed or attempted there is no evidence. Chicken and egg.
A uniformed Police Officer sitting in a car in the pub car park doesn't go unnoticed for long (plain clothes Officers cannot demand a breath test) and the drink driver doesn't get in the car, no offence committed today, he'll do it tomorrow instead.
I have forcibly taken the keys from a drunk in a pub as he prepared to drive home, got a bit unpleasant and I'd rather not have to get involved but saw it as my only option after he refused to see sense. Sadly there are still plenty of idiots out there, including texters and drug drivers both of which are as bad as drink drivers.

I have a small lockbox in which I place the keys and lock it to the towbar. The keys are therefore not in the van when I am sleeping. There are times when I'm using the van specifically because I've gone out for a beer, so staying sober would be defeating the object.

In these circumstances you are able to demonstrate that you have no intention to drive, and therefore you won't have a problem. Even that it excessive if you have a bed out (or seat rotated as mentioned before)

The main issue with keys in the car is when someone settles down in the drivers seat to sleep for the night. There is a likelihood that they'll wake up a couple of hours later, decide it's too cold (or whatever) and drive at that stage. Therefore if you have bed out etc then you're fine. They have no evidence that you're likely to drive, and the CPS wouldn't ever prosecute it as there is no evidence to base the case on.

I use the keylock as a double safety measure.

This has all been provided to me by a magistrate that I know *cough* rather well.

Last edited:
So how does this sit with the pubstops thing? You have dinner, a few bevs and the landlord allows you to stay. Still a public carpark but you have permission and it would be rude not to down a few good beers for a place to stay!?

So how does this sit with the pubstops thing? You have dinner, a few bevs and the landlord allows you to stay. Still a public carpark but you have permission and it would be rude not to down a few good beers for a place to stay!?

Police would struggle to provide evidence that you intend to drive when you've made arrangements with the pub to stay.

The other point worth considering is that for any of this you first need to attract the attention of the Police. In many years of my wife serving as a Magistrate, she's never heard of a single case of someone being prosecuted when they've simply settled down for the night. If you get really pissed and have a massive row with your partner and the Police are called they may look more closely.

Remember - the Police have to provide evidence to secure a conviction. If you have made provisions to stay then the balance of probability is that you will stay. Nothing is 100% but even if you were sleeping in a room in the pub there is still a possibility you might go out to car, but you won't get done for that either.

I don't even give it a thought these days as it's simply not going to happen if you've made appropriate provision. Make the bed up, put the blinds up, swivel the seats - all before having a beer. It's very clear then that on the balance of probability you're more likely to stay than drive.

I can only recall arresting one person for drunk in charge once. He got our attention by being in altercation outside a pub, ran to his car and got in. I went to speak to him, he was sat in the drivers seat with keys in the ignition. He was pissed.he was charged and convicted for that. I believe also that nowadays, they interview such suspects to ask them their intentions.

In my 2 years as a custody sgt in a very busy city division, I do not recall ever booking in a drunk in charge prisoner. This was a quite a long time ago admittedly.

I can only recall arresting one person for drunk in charge once. He got our attention by being in altercation outside a pub, ran to his car and got in. I went to speak to him, he was sat in the drivers seat with keys in the ignition. He was pissed.he was charged and convicted for that. I believe also that nowadays, they interview such suspects to ask them their intentions.

In my 2 years as a custody sgt in a very busy city division, I do not recall ever booking in a drunk in charge prisoner. This was a quite a long time ago admittedly.

I'd love to hear more stories of custody !!

I was sat having a buttie in layby on the A358 last week, whilst doing some calls in the car. Went back to buttie wagon for another cup of tea, started chatting to a couple of traffic coppers that had stopped for tea (and probably doughnuts). I asked if they see many people driving whilst using a mobile phone still, they said they get bored with it, several per shift, almost guaranteed with any stint along the M5 they can find someone on the phone, also roughly 50/50 men/women. Who still does this ?!? Surely everyone has bluetooth now.

Last edited:

I was sat having a buttie in layby on the A358 last week, whilst doing some calls in the car. Went back to buttie wagon for another cup of tea, started chatting to a couple of traffic coppers that had stopped for tea (and probably doughnuts). I asked if they see many people on the phone still, they said they get bored with it, several per shift, almost guaranteed with any stint along the M5 they can find someone on the phone, also roughly 50/50 men/women. Who still does this ?!? Surely everyone has bluetooth now.
Sitting in my van higher than most cars I often see people gazing into their laps, almost certainly looking at their phones. Hopefully Police at looking at phone, sat nav, dash cam and vehicle data after a serious accident.

Sitting in my van higher than most cars I often see people gazing into their laps, almost certainly looking at their phones. Hopefully Police at looking at phone, sat nav, dash cam and vehicle data after a serious accident.
Yes same, which is what prompted the question to the coppers. At least the coppers see the same and still nick them in quantities it seems!

Agreed, more often than seeing people on their phones I see people texting. They usually slow down as they do so, oblivious to other road users. I like to give them a blast of the horn to let them know I'm there (highway code! :rofl:) followed by a hand gesture. (not in the highway code).

A lot of it was quite boring, some of it stressful, some of it violent, a lot of it actually quite saddening, some of it funny. I booked one guy in, and as was required we had health questions as part of the risk assessment for detainees. I asked him if he had any illnesses or diseases that I needed to be aware of. In a sad voice and with a sad look, this prisoner said "Yeah, I have a bone disease" As I had to enter the answers on his log I asked him what it was and he said "I'm f*****g bone idle". Then started laughing, as did we.

I actually enjoyed my time in there. It was between 2002 and 2004 before I escaped back to the firearms unit.

Agreed, more often than seeing people on their phones I see people texting. They usually slow down as they do so, oblivious to other road users. I like to give them a blast of the horn to let them know I'm there (highway code! :rofl:) followed by a hand gesture. (not in the highway code).
I was following a moped today that started randomly to slow down. I thought he was going to turn off but when he didn’t I overtook and realised he was texting TWO HANDED while riding along! Unbelievable

A couple of years ago I had 56 days where I couldnt drive. Whilst waiting for a lift to work in the morning I occupied myslef by counting the number of drivers who went past texting on their phone, ie using it but not for a call, it worked out at 15%.

Back