Airtec intercoolers

Jason Kew

75,000 miles in so far…
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi T6’ers..

Anyone upgraded their own intercooler to an Airtec? These look to have a larger core than the performance Wagner and half the price as the Wagner competition… just sounding out any feedback for Airtec

I’m upgrading for efficiency and turbo longevity more than performance…

Hopefully a helpful update!
Intercooler arrived and excellent quality and finish, it has a much larger capacity than the oem Intercooler.. the Airtec is a quality bit of kit compared to the feeble looking original.

Fitting, bumper off in 10mins, used the Airtec packaging to kneel on and protect the bumper during removal. Removing the plastic radiator guard was easy, 4 bolts, and removing the original intercooler was easy too, 2 small bolts 2 retaining springs which hold the boost pipes in and lift away from the support lugs.. done.
The airtec is much larger but fits very snug! The bolt holes line up but I needed to shave off a wider gap in the plastic holding lug, 2 min job and the airtec slotted in perfectly.
Reattach the retaining springs, easy enough and a nice tight connection. Engine start up to check for faults, all clear and bumper back on….

Drive test.. I immediately noticed a little more sprite, it’s a marginal gain but I wanted to see how much cooler the oil was and a welcome improvement in mpg.. Totnes to Winchester on the A303 this weekend, oil temp is about 85 to 95, an improvement over the usual 100 to 105 and mpg was a little higher by perhaps one or two mpg… I’m going to get the revo map and dsg at Bognor as soon as the all in plan ends

I’m pleased with the upgrade, airtec is way cheaper than the Wagner or Forge, but definitely comparable imho.. I was expecting a bigger difference, similar to how the allisport intercooler changed my old 200tdi defender.. it’s not as big a difference as that but still an improvement:)

Next up is an egr blank… minefield

Small update! Another long run today Totnes to Cardiff and back and seeing a very welcome increase in mpg! 47 for the first time ever.. a good clear run at 70 all the way too:) the intercooler is certainly making a healthy difference

Small update! Another long run today Totnes to Cardiff and back and seeing a very welcome increase in mpg! 47 for the first time ever.. a good clear run at 70 all the way too:) the intercooler is certainly making a healthy difference

Anything that makes an engine run more efficiently has to be good news, it's just the price that puts me off, £495 is a lot of money and you won't recoup that anytime soon in better fuel economy even at today's fuel prices.
I think if I needed a new intercooler I'd upgrade, then I could justify it to myself!

Back