Aircon service?

Rg_

T6 Guru
Hi guys how often should you get your air con checked/serviced.
Just want to keep it maintained through ownership.

Only when it needs it, ie. when it no longer works, it’s a sealed system. Messing with unnecessarily could lead to other issues.

regas every couple of years is sensible. best advice is to use the ac regularly though. mine is on permanently.

Use it during the winter as well, when going on recirc or windscreen it should come on automatically. Stops fogging and removes condensation from the glass.

In winter I run it for at least an hour a week but switch it on off a few times to activate the clutch I do that because here they use an artificial salt that's sprayed in either fine powder or a liquid salt solution sprayed out of booms and that stuff is awful, got to wash the chassis once a week.

My old car underneath looked like it had been in the sea for 3 years!

Mine has run continuously since new for 5 years, approx 48K miles, no issues, no servicing. Runs as it should.
VW Service Manager suggested I part with more £ but I declined.

I've just had mine re-gassed a couple of weeks ago. 2017 van, 120000 miles, first re-gas. It was still blowing cold air, just not as cold as it used to be.

This 'service' seems to be one that the stealers add on, recommending that it's done every two years. You'll all see however that there's no such recommendation or requirement in the VW Service Schedule, or action in the service book (if you have one), to have this done. It's just another discretionary invoiceable opportunity for the stealers! All they do is vac it out and put the same refrigerant back in again, topping up if any has been lost. As everyone else has said if it's not broke.....

Also the comments above to use the A/C regularly to stop seals drying out etc... I have another German car, and that runs the A/C compressor for 30 seconds or so on every start-up, regardless of outside or set temperature. I guess that's along the lines of regular use of the system and keeping the refrigerant circulating..

Reactions: Loz
I had mine serviced a while back, didn’t want to give them an excuse to wriggle out of any hvac warranty claims I may have in future.

£95 I think?

Back