Air Vent Removal

JonB

T6 Pro
hi all,

Does anyone know how to remove the driver side air vent on a comfort dash?

I’ve got a rattle that’s coming from that area and want to rule out the air vent or something behind it. Tried the usual stuff like the a pillar trim .

Thanks Jon

Use a Plastic Trim tool lever from the bottom of the vent, then gradually you'll be able to get around the whole vent.

Hi did you sort the rattle out @JonB ?
I’ve got a nasty rattle from that area on my comfort dash aswell it’s driving me nuts

Hi did you sort the rattle out @JonB ?
I’ve got a nasty rattle from that area on my comfort dash aswell it’s driving me nuts

Yes I did sort it. I had aftermarket speakers fitted and the tweeters in the a pillar trim have a little control box which was stuck with a sticky pad to the a pillar had come unstuck and was rattling in the void between the dash and the pillar.

Check the a pillar trim at the bottom where it tucks in beside the dash and meets the windscreen. it’s really common for it to rattle here. Just tap it with your hand and you will see it move. It will move a considerable amount, I just found a small bit of foam, cut it down and wedged it in between the trim and the dash

Yes I did sort it. I had aftermarket speakers fitted and the tweeters in the a pillar trim have a little control box which was stuck with a sticky pad to the a pillar had come unstuck and was rattling in the void between the dash and the pillar.

Check the a pillar trim at the bottom where it tucks in beside the dash and meets the windscreen. it’s really common for it to rattle here. Just tap it with your hand and you will see it move. It will move a considerable amount, I just found a small bit of foam, cut it down and wedged it in between the trim and the dash

Could somebody please give me a tip so that I don’t destroy the passenger dash vent?

Using trim removal tools and already broken one of the front facing clips off.

I’ve removed everything around it and no prizing or pulling will get it out?

Cheers

8A9F9635-165D-41A8-8DDF-34D9999B783B.jpeg

Could somebody please give me a tip so that I don’t destroy the passenger dash vent?

Using trim removal tools and already broken one of the front facing clips off.

I’ve removed everything around it and no prizing or pulling will get it out?

Cheers

View attachment 140085
Threads merged - see above for a diagram

It may just be a snug fit on the vent tube.
I broke one of my tabs and it doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I saw this thread and it didn’t help, no way it simply pulls out or unclips with trim tool, I busted one bottom clip of the front facia and working way around with a plastic pry tool just damages the vent surround.

After manipulating the top storage compartment out, i managed to remove it from the back with a large amount of force from behind and leavering at the front.

Proper pics of the clip location for anyone fighting it in future.

6DC36CF4-E0B3-4FD3-87CF-6D2710AABD69.jpeg

D9A6EC9B-56A7-4FFE-9856-ABA50307CD0F.jpeg

E2C3BE18-C960-4561-A786-864C937B8934.jpeg

D0216C44-EE81-4E75-90F7-EEB1179F0587.jpeg

B658C020-EBAB-4FA8-8890-50A42B27EE91.jpeg

4A4819EF-0C47-487C-A343-012999E435EC.jpeg

Probably needs correct shaped tool levering in precise clip locations. Simply working from top to bottom with a pry tool did not work for me - it wasn’t shifting and will break off the front surround.

I searched and saw other had the same issue and damaged there vents when removing, there must be a better way

So after breaking x2 clips on the vent cover (!) I’m adding that it’s not the vent cover/ vent cover fascia you pry. You kinda want to get under that & if u can get to that grey foam/ polystyrene looking thing & dig into it. Don’t pry too much on the actual fascia!! On the top there’s a couple of lugs or even try use the clip points to dig it out!!

Hope you fare better than I did!

E209A035-16F0-4A14-AA3E-74062E56D758.jpeg

7ED6E899-EF11-4AD0-81DA-2EAB061BBED8.jpeg

Its a pain in the ass isn’t it - doesn’t want to move and results in you busting the clips of the face of it. Definitely need to get something way in there!

Its a pain in the ass isn’t it - doesn’t want to move and results in you busting the clips of the face of it. Definitely need to get something way in there!
It’s brutal!! I thought the centre console was gonna be worse but it was a walk in the part. Darn cold weather didn’t help either I guess.

On the bright side I now have a glove box with lid!

Congrats and the glove box! Yes, oddly the centre panel with both vents just pops off with ease lol.

Back