Air Suspension for my 4Mo?

Martin Jones

T6 Highline 180 DSG 4Motion
VCDS User
Ok so I'm thinking I may put air suspension on my 4motion for the odd off road I need to do.
Anyone have any recommendations, I won't fit myself so may get my local guy to fit or am I better off finding someone who has done this before.
Again any suggestions or is this a bad idea??

I think the best oem stuff is from VB Air Suspension, they have a UK arm you will find easily. The best = the most expensive. It's used on ambulances etc etc on the continent.

Evening all! so here's my opinion on air ride.

I've done a lot of research but all of the following are just my thoughts and conclusions.

There seems to be one recurring feedback for both adjustable coliovers and air ride and that's buy cheap, buy twice. I therefore was only interesting in fitting top end kit to my brand new van.
My prerequisites: want full auto management system; want full 4 way adjustability so I can level on uneven campsite; want memory presets so I can a) set a low drive height for posing b) set a higher drive height for driving c)reset to previous level on said campsite; want to be really low when aired out (I need to get the van in my garage); want it all hidden away underneath the van; once fitted, don't want to have to worry about it going wrong.

So I've gone for HPDrivetech Bilstein struts front and back with Airlift 3P management system. All that comes in about £3500 plus fitting c£800. You might end up adding a few extras eg compressor silencer.
You can get cheaper struts eg Airrex and cheaper management systems (even manual ones) and you can get more expensive management systems like Accuair.
For me the Accuair doesn't give you anymore features that I actually need so it wasn't worth an extra £500 to me. There seems to be lot of negative feedback with Airrex struts so much so my fitter won't fit them.
So in my opinion, I haven't gone most expensive (c£5k) but have got what I think is the most common, up to date, top end system.
There are lots of very good fitters so might be better for you to choose what's local. Mines in at StancedUk in Wokingham, I like the guys there and I really like the fact they sell wheels and tyres as well and they are happy to trial fit different size wheels to settle on what will work best for ultimate 'stance'.
Other reputable fitters I'm aware of include Plush Automotive, LowPro, JPL automotive.
I'll pause there for fear of boring you to tears....
Any other questions just ask

Good Stuff

I know VB talk about the external interface which you need to order as an extra from new.
Does your system need that?

http://www.vbairsuspension.co.uk/upload/File/Productbladen/Engels/Volkswagen/721105090601EN01- EN Product sheet VB-FA 2C Rearaxle Volkswagen Transporter T5-T6.pdf

It's the factory option they mention in this brochure. It is in the options for the the T6, I think for the caravelle there was 3 different external interface options. I think it allows external processors to interface with the can-bus system on the van
http://www.vbairsuspension.com/en/files/342.html
4 channel/wheel brochure also

Just looks like the controller for the management system to me. I'm unsure as to why it needs to connect to the vans electronics. Mine will be controlled by this controller which will be wired to the dash. In addition my system comes with an app so you can control the van height from your phone. Seems like the same thing?
Do you know how much this system is?

image.png

No I don't, I think you have to get the quote from one of the fitter dealers, i.e. it is not supplied as parts only directly to end users.
I think the interface may take inputs like speed from the can-bus, and lower the vehicle automatically as speed increases (like a rangerover would); also connected to esp (stability programme) systems accelerometers and gyroscopes to stiffen each channel of suspension needed for high speed cornering. It may also stop you driving off with the vehicle fully lowered etc etc .

yeh, you're right, it just all a bit too German; just not how us Brits role:rofl::rofl:

I've done a lot of research but all of the following are just my thoughts and conclusions.

There seems to be one recurring feedback for both adjustable coliovers and air ride and that's buy cheap, buy twice. I therefore was only interesting in fitting top end kit to my brand new van.
My prerequisites: want full auto management system; want full 4 way adjustability so I can level on uneven campsite; want memory presets so I can a) set a low drive height for posing b) set a higher drive height for driving c)reset to previous level on said campsite; want to be really low when aired out (I need to get the van in my garage); want it all hidden away underneath the van; once fitted, don't want to have to worry about it going wrong.

So I've gone for HPDrivetech Bilstein struts front and back with Airlift 3P management system. All that comes in about £3500 plus fitting c£800. You might end up adding a few extras eg compressor silencer.
You can get cheaper struts eg Airrex and cheaper management systems (even manual ones) and you can get more expensive management systems like Accuair.
For me the Accuair doesn't give you anymore features that I actually need so it wasn't worth an extra £500 to me. There seems to be lot of negative feedback with Airrex struts so much so my fitter won't fit them.
So in my opinion, I haven't gone most expensive (c£5k) but have got what I think is the most common, up to date, top end system.
There are lots of very good fitters so might be better for you to choose what's local. Mines in at StancedUk in Wokingham, I like the guys there and I really like the fact they sell wheels and tyres as well and they are happy to trial fit different size wheels to settle on what will work best for ultimate 'stance'.
Other reputable fitters I'm aware of include Plush Automotive, LowPro, JPL automotive.
Wow thanks for all the info, I'm away at the moment so when I'm back that's plenty to get my teeth info.

Umm id love air ride on mine but the Mrs would kill me if id did it at that price.

I thought long and hard about air, and yes I am sure a good system is fab.
But I had the option of Dynamic Chassis Control for about £800, so went for that. I cannot jack mine up, or lower it down; but in terms of handling it is amazing (for a van). And with 4 motion; difflock; oversized mud/snow/ice all weather tyres I think that I am pretty much unstoppable (for a van). But just can't do the cool good fun stuff that air can do.;););)

My front struts have finally arrived in the UK :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Should be with StancedUK by Monday.

Should be collecting van Weds/Thurs.

Oh man, I can't wait. :):):):):):):):):)

Not as gutted as me buddy.... Can't believe I'm missing Busfest. :mad::mad: First show outing will therefore be at Berkerley Castle on 25th Sept.

I thought long and hard about air, and yes I am sure a good system is fab.
But I had the option of Dynamic Chassis Control for about £800, so went for that. I cannot jack mine up, or lower it down; but in terms of handling it is amazing (for a van). And with 4 motion; difflock; oversized mud/snow/ice all weather tyres I think that I am pretty much unstoppable (for a van). But just can't do the cool good fun stuff that air can do.;););)
DCC is surprisingly good, in sport mode on a B road it's great fun!

Cheers - don't think my last post worked - I'm away and have really bad internet in Spain....
Loads of info to look up when I'm back!!

Back