No Air Conditioning - still buy the van?

Hey
Was about to buy my first Sports van after wanting one for years. Called to leave a deposit only to be told it had no air conditioning.
Put me off buying it tbh - should it ?
I only really use it to clear the windows on a cold day.
Are there any portable units I could fit ?
Thanks

I've got one without. Similar circumstances - I didn't even consider it before putting a deposit down and only realised afterwards.

For us, we can easily get by without and it still seems to clear the screen pretty well on a cold day. It will obviously affect resale value if we sell it but the van was also cheaper in the first place as a result...

The other plusses for me are that there is less to go wrong (had a polo once that had AC that would only ever blow red hot even after multiple trips back to vw) and it doesn't affect the fuel efficiency.

I've got one without. Similar circumstances - I didn't even consider it before putting a deposit down and only realised afterwards.

For us, we can easily get by without and it still seems to clear the screen pretty well on a cold day. It will obviously affect resale value if we sell it but the van was also cheaper in the first place as a result...

The other plusses for me are that there is less to go wrong (had a polo once that had AC that would only ever blow red hot even after multiple trips back to vw) and it doesn't affect the fuel efficiency.
Thanks for that, I wondered if windows would clear ok. I'm more disappointed tbh as it's a 68 plate. I plan to keep it and eventually convert to camper but I did think it would affect resale price. I could get a small air con unit for the back but they're pricey

I wouldn’t have even looked at a T6 without aircon.

it’s a must for me, nowt worse than driving in a heatwave without A/C

I'd prefer AC for definite but if there was a small unit that could be fitted - such as those uses in a camper- I'd be happy

I bought my T5 without A/C and regretted it. I wouldn't buy one without now. Even in the UK on a sunny day the interior temperature was awful - I do like fresh air though so maybe I'm biased! Also, the effect on fuel efficiency is negligible if even noticeable at all. I've had several vehicles with A/C or Climate Control and use it all the time and still generally get better than average mpg. I'd wait out if it is important to you. One will come up that fits the bill.

Thanks for the replies, I have bought my first VW van and can't wait to pick it up in a week or so. I managed to find one that I liked with air con. Have a list if things I want to add, sure I'll be asking for all if your advice soon enough

Last edited:
Back