Air-conditioning retrofit?

Jez

Hi there.
Has anyone had rear air conditioning reto-fitted by VW or aftermarket.
I need to know if a bigger compressor is required to handle to the extra load eith from the factory or when retro-fitted.
My 16,000 km (10,000 mile) van's compressor has packed it in and I would like to retrofit a larger compressor now if a larger one is need for my future rear air conditioner.
Thanks

I have discovered my van is a sweat box on warm days, is it possible to retrofit air con? If so can you recommend somewhere please?

Also for those with an eberspacher can you tell me how cold the cold air is it can blow or is it only outside air temp? (I plan on fitting a diesel night heater)

I feel for you, mine is hot enough with AC, I'm hoping that insulating the back will help.

I can't imagine it's going to be cheap, or even possible? Compressors, radiators, pipework, control modules...

Wind deflectors help reduce noise and buffeting when on the move with the windows down, I only use the AC on the motorway

Yeah done a bit more googling there and I don't think AC is a viable option. I've got wind deflectors so I could keep my window down today without issue but thinking about when we are parked up camping how to keep cool, especially my little one.

I'm hoping the eberspacher cold air setting is suitable.hopefully someone who has one can confirm

It's a pop top . I feel as though things have got worse since I insulated the walls below the glass

Hi, retrofit aircon is quite expensive and to fit a factory system would be a huge job as you would need all the electronics for the control system as well as the 'mechanical' parts. The non- a/c heater boxes are different to the climatic and climatronic ones as they have electric controls rather than mechanical. With my current work Caddy which I bought new (without aircon), I fitted a factory compressor and condenser and it runs a boxed evaporator fitted under the drivers seat and the cold air is ducted to vents at the top of the bulkhead. This is controlled by a bespoke control system including two additional fans in front of the condenser as the factory radiator fan is canbus controlled via the engine ecu.

Hi just purchased T6 Kombi no air con can anyone help me please ?
I’ve had a look online what the options are.
Retrofit air con is around £2k fitted!
I have heard of small units that plug in to the 12 v ?.
Thanks Zak

View attachment 21069

Anyone tried an Indel B box? Costs around £1.5k but no fitting expenses.
Just googled it. I've seen a few of those sort of things on motorhomes where looks and height don't matter, but it would be a hell of an eyesore on a Transporter! Upside is you could use it on hookup at a campsite but could you really live with that carbunkle on the roof?

Just googled it. I've seen a few of those sort of things on motorhomes where looks and height don't matter, but it would be a hell of an eyesore on a Transporter! Upside is you could use it on hookup at a campsite but could you really live with that carbunkle on the roof?
. I’ve got aircon in the van but the Indel b cube is for when the vehicle is parked up. Runs off the vehicle electrics and is about the size of a coolbox.

Ok I only saw roof mounted ones when I had a quick look and even the lowest powered on of those seemed to be drawing up to 80 A so you'd be lucky to get an hour before your battery was flat. How much power do these coolbox sized ones use? In fact I'll have another look now I'm sat down.

Ah that SW Cube? Look like a smaller version of what I've got in the bedroom where you stick the pipe out the window. Pretty hefty current draw still though, think you'd have to be on mains hookup unless you just used it for a quick blast.

Ah that SW Cube? Look like a smaller version of what I've got in the bedroom where you stick the pipe out the window. Pretty hefty current draw still though, think you'd have to be on mains hookup unless you just used it for a quick blast.
12 volt - 36amp. Got a heavy duty engine battery and 2 leisure battery.

Back