[GUIDE] Aftermarket Wireless Rear View Camera for barn doors on a T6 (Auto-Vox T1400W)

The revival of this thread is timely for me as I’ve got a towbar mounted bike rack on the way and I’m trying to get my head around fitting a camera to it - I find parking the van enough of a task without having to worry about the extra 2’ or so that the rack adds to it’s length whilst also disabling the parking sensors! My T6 has a tailgate.

My thoughts were to install just the sort of camera / mirror combo described above with the camera fixed to the cycle rack and connected when the rack is on but disconnected (obviously!) when it’s not. I’ve no problem with the sender being left in an accessible place in the van (but probably still hidden) for the camera to be plugged in when needed and also thought that I would be OK just closing the tailgate on the cable from camera to transmitter when it’s used. Does the camera take it’s power from the transmitter or does it need to be wired separately? I ask as I think the lights on the rack are sealed units with a socket for the wiring loom. I had an idea that the mirror might also be easy to connect / disconnect (12V socket?) so that it could be removed altogether when the rack wasn’t fitted.

If I can find one, I’ll pay a proper auto electrician to do the work but wanted to know whether what I’m think is practical before talking to somebody.

Am I being an idiot with these ideas? I would be most grateful for any comments and advice. Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to install a reversing rear view mirror without strapping it to the existing mirror. i think it would look less cluttered and definately neater. Does anyone know of this set up, and also some of the rear view camera's look rubbish and can take a lot of bodywork modding to make them look ok. Has anyone fitted the camera that sits just above the number plate on barn doors, it looks like the OEM type. Any help greatly appreciated

Great write up Andy, i will be taking the front seats and cab rubber flooring up (in the spring), to fit sound insulation, so i will probably have the opportunity to run wires from back to front fairly easily. Do you think the wired ones are better quality, or are you happy with your set up.
If I recall correctly, front to back wiring goes up the passenger A pillar and along the roof on the near side, so not under the floor.

The wired or wireless isn't the deciding factor I think. This camera is SD and when it fires up on selecting reverse it shows interference prior to showing the picture momentarily, like an analogue TV. I guess the wired ones are quicker to show a picture and go into the head unit which is nicer. Not really comparable.

The revival of this thread is timely for me as I’ve got a towbar mounted bike rack on the way and I’m trying to get my head around fitting a camera to it - I find parking the van enough of a task without having to worry about the extra 2’ or so that the rack adds to it’s length whilst also disabling the parking sensors! My T6 has a tailgate.

My thoughts were to install just the sort of camera / mirror combo described above with the camera fixed to the cycle rack and connected when the rack is on but disconnected (obviously!) when it’s not. I’ve no problem with the sender being left in an accessible place in the van (but probably still hidden) for the camera to be plugged in when needed and also thought that I would be OK just closing the tailgate on the cable from camera to transmitter when it’s used. Does the camera take it’s power from the transmitter or does it need to be wired separately? I ask as I think the lights on the rack are sealed units with a socket for the wiring loom. I had an idea that the mirror might also be easy to connect / disconnect (12V socket?) so that it could be removed altogether when the rack wasn’t fitted.

If I can find one, I’ll pay a proper auto electrician to do the work but wanted to know whether what I’m think is practical before talking to somebody.

Am I being an idiot with these ideas? I would be most grateful for any comments and advice. Thanks in advance.
The camera has a single cable to the sender so could be removed when not in use and easily closed in the door seal.

The receiver mirror comes with a cigarette lighter plug so could similarly be used temporarily.

Sounds a pretty good fit for your purposes.

Is it possible to install a reversing rear view mirror without strapping it to the existing mirror. i think it would look less cluttered and definately neater. Does anyone know of this set up, and also some of the rear view camera's look rubbish and can take a lot of bodywork modding to make them look ok. Has anyone fitted the camera that sits just above the number plate on barn doors, it looks like the OEM type. Any help greatly appreciated
I didn't find a mirror that replaces the OEM mirror itself, otherwise I would have gone for it.

As for mounting above the number plate, this kit is designed for that.

It will never look stock as there wasn't a camera for the barn doors. There are other designs that look more stock I think. Also the more stock design is the high level brake light with built-in camera for barn doors. By the way the sender on this kit has a yellow phono input for SD video, so you could mix and match...

Found an Auto Vox V5 Pro on line for £230, its a wired one, looks a good bit of kit with good reviews. It replaces the OEM mirror completely and is wired directly into the fuse box. Camera loks a bit bulky but you can fit it in the gap above rear number plate. Downside is it probably needs an auto sparks to install, unless your brave or clever enough to do it yourself, (i'm neither). thanks for reply.

The camera has a single cable to the sender so could be removed when not in use and easily closed in the door seal.

The receiver mirror comes with a cigarette lighter plug so could similarly be used temporarily.

Sounds a pretty good fit for your purposes.
@Andysmee. Thanks for that. Is the camera powered via the cable to the transmitter unit or does it need to be wired separately? If the former, I'm thinking that I might even be able to just plug the transmitter unit into a 12V socket when it's needed - I've got a couple of them in the back which means wires wouldn't have to be all over the van. Also even a moron like me could do the job (probably!).

This is a wired set up Andy, A wire runs from the cab mirror to some where under the dash via the A pillar, then wired to the back of the van, through roof lining, as you suggested, to where ever the camera is going to be situated. Check out there website for more info. I am still looking around but this for me, looks favourite. Local auto sparks reckons 4 hrs labour=£200, plus unit £230, so not the cheapest, but cheaper than swapping out head unit, £1000ish

@Andysmee. I've now had a look at the Auto Vox website and think that I've found the answer - the camera is powered by the transmitter unit (which makes it a real goer for me). I would however be grateful for confirmation on that one as I really went by pictures and other stuff that I've seen on line. I was hoping to find a copy of the installation manual on the website but didn't have much luck - for a tech company, it's terrible!

@Andysmee. Thanks for that. Is the camera powered via the cable to the transmitter unit or does it need to be wired separately? If the former, I'm thinking that I might even be able to just plug the transmitter unit into a 12V socket when it's needed - I've got a couple of them in the back which means wires wouldn't have to be all over the van. Also even a moron like me could do the job (probably!).
The camera is powered by a single cable from the sender unit. The sender unit (the bit I mounted in the door) is powered by a single cable but does not come with a cigarette lighter plug. You could add one. However the sender has lots of cable and it would be messy having it lying around and storing it.

@Andysmee. I've now had a look at the Auto Vox website and think that I've found the answer - the camera is powered by the transmitter unit (which makes it a real goer for me). I would however be grateful for confirmation on that one as I really went by pictures and other stuff that I've seen on line. I was hoping to find a copy of the installation manual on the website but didn't have much luck - for a tech company, it's terrible!
I don't think you will find a more detailed set of pictures than mine above!

Hi,
I’m going to be installing a rear camera soon too. Can’t decide on low down just above the number plate or high, just below the rear spoiler (not so stealthy).

I wonder if either location is better for the camera in terms of road grime on the lens. How is yours when the weather is wet?

Thanks.

Back