Aftermarket H7 Headlights - worth it?

craigblues

T6 Pro
Evening all,

I know LED Headlights for the T6 are a fairly new thing. However how are people liking them?

Are the retrofit versions the same quality as the OEM versions on new builds?

Personally I’ve ordered LEDs on my new build which is currently in the build queue as read lots online and everyone said if you can only afford one upgrade then choose the LED headlights as it’s a MUST!

Therefore just wondered how they compared as obviously the price is quite different.

They don't compare, the aftermarket ones actually have halogen headlights, the only LEDs in them are the DRLs

@craigblues there are so many threads about led headlights I think it is fair to say that you’ll not regret adding them to your build.

Get the LED headlights, it's the only option i regret not getting. I've a mate with them fitted, it's the equivalent of a light house versus a torch:))

so my van is going into vanstyle in November to have B14 with H&R ARB also thinking of going for the LED headlights. Has anyone got any feedback on the LEDs I have H4 lights but gave upgraded the bulbs with Philips bright white bulbs and also LED Bulbs that give a nice blue tint Will I see a upgrade in lights and do these prices look ok?.
B14 Fitted £1099
ARB Fitted £400
LED Fitted £400

There is a whole thread on the 'LED' drl lights here: TransporterHQ lights

Also, LED headlights are illegal unless they have auto leveling capability.

Loads written up on the lights, they're basically H7 units but with an aftermarket LED DRL bar.

There is a whole thread on the 'LED' drl lights here: TransporterHQ lights

Also, LED headlights are illegal unless they have auto leveling capability.

Loads written up on the lights, they're basically H7 units but with an aftermarket LED DRL bar.
Thanks for that it’s s long thread. I have just skimmed over it missing out bits as it’s long.
So many different opinions on it I’m still on the fence. I have H4 but have Philips bright white and LED bulbs on DRL that give a nice white/blue tint. Beginning to wonder if it’s eirth changing at all?. Can you just tell me the difference between H4 and H7 lights?. Thanks

Can you just tell me the difference between H4 and H7 lights?. Thanks

The oem H7 units use two separate H7 bulbs, one for low and one high beam. The drl is still a reflector type but is mounted lower down and alongside the indicator.

20180503_125730.jpg

Aftermarket versions are a similar idea but use H7 / H1 bulbs, are styled to look like oem LED headlights and use an LED drl strip.

Last edited:
So if high bram is on dose lo bean stay on as well with genuine H7. Thanks

On the vans that have H7 as standard, low beam does remain on with high beam.

If The H7 lights are retro fitted it won't straight away but if you change the vehicle coding they do. :thumbsup:

I did the H4 to oem H7 swap on my van and it's a great improvement, especially if you upgrade the bulbs too.

H4 --> H7 journey

Last edited:
On the vans that have H7 as standard low beam does remain on with high beam.

If The H7 lights are retro fitted it won't straight away but if you change the vehicle coding they do. :thumbsup:

I did the H4 to oem H7 swap on my van and it's a great improvement, especially if you upgrade the bulbs too.

H4 --> H7 journey
Thank you for that.if I decide to change them to h7 I may as well go for the aftermarket with led strips as they are H7 as well?.

Thank you for that.if I decide to change them to h7 I may as well go for the aftermarket with led strips as they are H7 as well?.

Depends on which aftermarket manufacturer. The TransporterHQ / Travelinlite version (Sonar?) use H7 and H1 bulbs I believe.

Depends on which aftermarket manufacturer. The TransporterHQ / Travelinlite version (Sonar?) use H7 and H1 bulbs I believe.
Ok thanks for your help I’ll look into which bulbs vanstyle use. The lights themselves look the same everywhere.

Back