Aftermarket Flush Fit Sliding Window Drain

chuddly71

VIP Member
Is it normal to have aftermarket flush fit sliding windows without a drain?
Unless I have totally missed the drain holes I'm a little confused as to where the water goes if any water should go into the runner in which the sliding part of the window travels along.
20191031_120400.jpg20191031_120632.jpg

Water stays in the runner! I found this out after having window open in the rain.

Hi

Not a VGC window. That is the Chinese version that slides rear to front

Not sure about how they operate

Regards

Hi

Not a VGC window. That is the Chinese version that slides rear to front

Not sure about how they operate

Regards
I've got the VGC flush sliding window and has leaked from day one with nowhere for the water to escape apart from the floor.

I've got the VGC flush sliding window and has leaked from day one with nowhere for the water to escape apart from the floor.
Are you often parked nose-up?
Are the window rubbers spotless?

I’ve only ever found water ingress with my VGC Windows when I left the van on wheel ramps overnight and when I jet-washed it whilst the seals had lots of dust in them.

Invoke your warranty rights if you’re still in date.

Otherwise.. Applying WD40 to the seals will swell them, which may help complete the seal.

Are you often parked nose-up?
Are the window rubbers spotless?

I’ve only ever found water ingress with my VGC Windows when I left the van on wheel ramps overnight and when I jet-washed it whilst the seals had lots of dust in them.

Invoke your warranty rights if you’re still in date.

Otherwise.. Applying WD40 to the seals will swell them, which may help complete the seal.
The van is always parked on the drive which is flat, I raised the issue when first fitted them but after initial response got nothing from them, then raised it again with no success. I've cleaned the rubber and applied silicone but not really helped so will give the WD40 a try

The van is always parked on the drive which is flat, I raised the issue when first fitted them but after initial response got nothing from them, then raised it again with no success. I've cleaned the rubber and applied silicone but not really helped so will give the WD40 a try
Who fitted them, out of curiosity?

If WD40 (water dispersant) is applied to EPDM it will swell the rubber but it will also cause it to perish and crack.

Bought a rear NS slider after about a year in noticed some damp on the C post ( did post in here re this) thought it was the C post somehow

Turned out to be 2 very narrow drain holes on the fixed window part that were blocked dust dirt etc. They drain to the back of the window and down ( bloody rubbish design!)

Didn't have access to compressed air so used some ring main wire to " fiddle" it and cleaned the rubber runner ( I got it mostly out without any hassle) cleaned all used a straw ( needs must lol) to blow the holes thru!
Sorted it! All dry albeit it had ruined the ply panel so had to replace and re carpet.

Been a few months and some serious rain all still nice and dry!

I've twin sliders with different make windows they drain to outside with good long holes to the outside never a problem!

My nearside window started to leak a few weeks outside of the extended warranty. It turns out that the routine poking to keep the drains clean had dislodged the stick on plastic chute under the forward locking pin drain.
My advice is to use fluids either air or liquid and avoid poking hard objects down the drains.
I have some Soudal Fix All from screwfix so will be sticking it back in place soon, the hard bit is not blocking the drain with the adhesive.
It’s an amazing design, I can’t believe that anybody with any form of engineering background could think it would work reliably.

Trouble with using fluids when it's blocked is they don't work lol. Which is why I used some thin wire to clear some of the gunk to start with! Not having access to compressed air ( best thing) it was a straw and a good blow lol ! Then when I could get some water going thru used a squirt of WD to lubricate and force any remaining crud. Then back to the strawb for good measure!
Worked and all dry but it will be an annual event from now on!

Good old brake cleaner flushes out all kinds of nasty stuff on these drains, it doesn’t appear to damage the paintwork but must strip the wax off.

Bought a rear NS slider after about a year in noticed some damp on the C post ( did post in here re this) thought it was the C post somehow

Turned out to be 2 very narrow drain holes on the fixed window part that were blocked dust dirt etc. They drain to the back of the window and down ( bloody rubbish design!)

Didn't have access to compressed air so used some ring main wire to " fiddle" it and cleaned the rubber runner ( I got it mostly out without any hassle) cleaned all used a straw ( needs must lol) to blow the holes thru!
Sorted it! All dry albeit it had ruined the ply panel so had to replace and re carpet.

Been a few months and some serious rain all still nice and dry!

I've twin sliders with different make windows they drain to outside with good long holes to the outside never a problem!
The problem with the VGC flush sliding window is they have no drains so water gathers in the channel and overflows at the lowest point.

Back