Advice on choosing a base van for future conversion?

carlo1977

Hi all.. I am looking at buying a new T6 LWB for lighbusiness use initially but primarily with a view to converting to a camper at some point in the future, with regards to the spec, is there anything that is essential or that I should be avoiding/completely unnecessary from a conversion point of view?

If you get a kombi you will end up with the windows, tailgate, higher step etc, and seats which you can sell on and hopefully make back up some of the difference in price initially. At least, this is what we were recommended when buying by the company who will be converting ours.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Factory Nav, as it's not as good as google maps with App connect (I have it, and use google maps!). I wish ours had a comfort dash and adaptive cruise, but we bought a showroom model, and therefore didn't have the option. Also, 2+1 rear seats are more desirable if you do get a kombi.

Edit, oh and LED Lights! They are awesome. Apparently the standard lights aren't....

Edit, oh and LED Lights! They are awesome. Apparently the standard lights aren't....
I think the best way to get an appreciation of how bad the standard H4 headlights are is to use the search facility on here, there are so many threads relating to the subject. People spend sometimes thousands of pounds upgrading them, not out of vanity, but because they are bordering on unsafe at night in rural unlit roads. On other roads they're just rubbish!
So I agree with Apretext, and I'd go further, I wouldn't buy a T6 without factory LED headlights. I learned the hard way!

Twin slider or single? I searched for over a year to find the spec of lwb kombi single slider. With a few other options included.
A few popped up in white or silver( the two colours I did not want). Loads of twin sliders but for my current use as a works van before I convert it they did not suit.

In the end I just ordered up the spec I wanted and waited another 3 months.

Twin slider or single? I searched for over a year to find the spec of lwb kombi single slider. With a few other options included.
A few popped up in white or silver( the two colours I did not want). Loads of twin sliders but for my current use as a works van before I convert it they did not suit.

In the end I just ordered up the spec I wanted and waited another 3 months.

Thanks, ideally it would be a single slider but I guess as I would be ordering to suit that won't be an issue?

Back