Advice needed: coil light

kkev

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Recently coil image came on dashboard flashing orange, soon after starting, along with "stop start error".
Stopped and restarted, dashboard and message disappeared. Because I due to travel to Northumberland from sth Yorkshire 2 days later I rang people who service it to check out the issue. Took it straight in, plugged into the system which showed EGR fault. Quoted £1165 for new EGR! They said it was fine to use vehicle and the motorway trip would probably be a good thing. Did trip no issues, dash clear. Then I got a quote from darkside for £850, booked in for early June.
Thurs last week repeat trip to Northumberland. Engine warning light came about gateshead so stopped at angel. Restarted and warning light came on and remained throughout the trip. Friday am I rang green flag. Technician came within 45min, plugged in said it was showing some emission code (by the way there was no change in performance, still running well). He said it might be a bit of soot or dust on sensor, then he cleared the fault code. I told him about the EGR and asked if it was showing? He said it was all clear no faults showing!
Anyone know why the EGR fault wouldn't show? Might save quite a bit of money if it doesn't need doing.

why the EGR fault wouldn't show?

The fault codes don't stay active very long when the fault isn't present anymore. Many of the engine codes (including EGR) turn into inactive state as soon as in 300 km (200 miles) since the fault occurrence. Thus VW diagnostics doesn't "see" it any more.

Engine warning light came about gateshead so stopped at angel. Restarted and warning light came on and remained throughout the trip.
This was the light with engine symbol? It's "just" emissions...

The fault codes don't stay active very long when the fault isn't present anymore. Many of the engine codes (including EGR) turn into inactive state as soon as in 300 km (200 miles) since the fault occurrence. Thus VW diagnostics doesn't "see" it any more.

This was the light with engine symbol? It's "just" emissions...
Excuse my ignorance, are you suggesting the EGR no longer has a fault or it's just dormant. It's booked in at darkside Developments so their diagnostic will hopefully be definitive.

Excuse my ignorance, are you suggesting the EGR no longer has a fault or it's just dormant. It's booked in at darkside Developments so their diagnostic will hopefully be definitive.
The engine's self-diagnostics thinks there is no fault - at the moment - any more. Not knowing what the exact fault code was, it's impossible to say much more. It certainly could have been a glicth in the EGR valve itself, or first indication of inevitable EGR cooler clogging.

Anyways, the flashing coil light on dash is a definitive sign the engine needs to be diagnosed. The emission light (engine symbol) is "just" emissions exceeding thresholds. Actually there are engine software updates for most T6 engines (all before MY19) to cure quite a few known issues.

Thanks for your help. It should all become clear when it's checked. I'll try to remember to post what happens.

Reactions: mmi
I have just been through this with my T6, The EGR went, easy to diagnose, when I reached round the back of it the vaccuum actuator wouldn't move because the valve was siezed.
Got a new OEM one fitted by my local garage, (egr from the OE factory but with the VW numbers rubbed off)

£456 for an OEM EGR/Cooler fitted.

Before the EGR pressure error P0401 appeared, I did get one MAF underperformance P0101 error which cleared.

However, when I went out in the van a day after the EGR replacement the glow plug light (the coil) started flashing and the van would barely get over 2k revs.
It threw another P0101 MAF error and a P0299 Turbo Underboost error.

I bought a Peirburg MAF and a Turbo control solenoid, at a cost of £120, I fitted them, took 20 mins and all is good again .

Quite whether both the MAF and TCS failing was coincedence or a product of the EGR failing I've no idea but it's sorted now :)

Buy yourself a reader, £100, saves a fortune :)

That's an insanely good price for a fitted EGR. I'd drive the 250 miles to Scotland and stay overnight in a hotel if I could get it for that price!
My local wants £850.
£850 is what I've been quoted by darkside. I could possibly get it done cheaper by someone else but I've been recommended to darkside.

That's an insanely good price for a fitted EGR. I'd drive the 250 miles to Scotland and stay overnight in a hotel if I could get it for that price!
My local wants £850.

I don't know who or where darkside is but I'd recommend Smith st motors in Kinross if yer in Scotland, My mate is ex Vag mechanic of 25 yrs and he uses him.

Derek has done my wife's car for years, he's only doing my van because I'm done rolling about under them, I'm a custom motorcycle engineer, bikes are fine and up on a ramp where I can get at stuff without slipping a disc

It's a good price bikers1, we're in sth Yorkshire a long way from you. Would like a trip up there when all fixed though.

My local wants £850.
I’ve just paid £1200 for this same job here in Surrey…

£850 is what I've been quoted by darkside. I could possibly get it done cheaper by someone else but I've been recommended to darkside.
Let me know how you get on at Darkside @kkev as mine needs replacing soon. That’s £300 less than Cleckheaton VW want.

Let me know how you get on at Darkside @kkev as mine needs replacing soon. That’s £300 less than Cleckheaton VW want.
No problem Bigsi. It was diagnosed at autohaus Dolby in Sheffield, they want £1160. Due to be done 9th June, it's been booked in since mid April so if you're thinking of using them you ought to get in touch. They like to communicate via email but they responded to my enquiry and all my queries quickly. We've got a road trip early July so would like it to be checked out fixed.

It’s my turn to have the flashing coil light which started today but cleared after an ignition cycle.

Carista doesn’t show any faults logged so it’s booked in to a garage tomorrow.

Very annoying timinung as I’m planning to drive it to Dordogne on Fri night….

@kkev did you get the EGR fitted at Darkside?
I’ve not got round to doing mine and I’m in 2 minds whether to get it deleted-which would still be a job for Darkside to do anyway.

Had it done in June. Been ok since then. Another £150 was added to the bill because a bracket has seal on which can't be bought separately! Others with same issue have had replacement FOC.
They left me the original parts (because I was curious), didn't realise there was so much to it.
I've sent it to Dellmassive, he's going to investigate whether they can be cleaned for reuse.

Back