Adding footwell lighting

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
I am in the process of adding footwell lights to my van and seems like its pretty easy to do, im looking at making up some plugs/cables to make it plug and play with no wire cutting/joining just factory connectors for everything.
Wondering if this would interest anyone else as before i fit it to my van and test it out properly i could measure the cabling to replicate the wiring ?
Wont be cheap as using all genuine VW parts ie lights and connectors etc will be about £50 for a kit

Yes please there on my list of wants along with lots of other jobs when i am happy the combi is a keeper, oh and auto fold mirrors !! ;)

Havent finalised it yet, the lights i have at the moment are basic units that take normal 501 lamps same as the existing step light, these lamps could be changed to LED or i have enquired about proper LED units instead from VW but they are more expensive and would take the price over £50, would you rather pay more for built in LEDs or get standard lights and change yourself ??
Could do either way really doesnt affect wiring etc
Have made a few inquiries about after market LED units to bring the price down a bit, as with anything VW the bits are quite expensive for what they are, just need to find some half decent units that fit in the factory hole
also thanks to @lough90 for the idea, he inquired about these and planted the seed :thumbsup:

Will get the mine fitted later tonight when kids are in bed and finish the wiring lengths of cable etc so i can knock up a couple looms then will see what options i can find for different light units to go in

Be really interested to see what it looks like so I can decide if it's something I need.

I still find it a bit odd driving at night lit up like a Xmas tree, footwell lights usually come on when you open the door but these stay on.

Yours stay on all the time ?
I have made these to go on and off with interior lighting sounds like your are connected to ambient lighting circuit, strange didnt think it would be like that

Yours stay on all the time ?
I have made these to go on and off with interior lighting sounds like your are connected to ambient lighting circuit, strange didnt think it would be like that
Yep stay on along with door ambient lights, can another Velle pilot confirm its the same i.e. mines not a Friday afternoon job!

Finished the wiring and fitted one side, 2nd pic is no flash all lights off
This is the standard VW unit will see if i can get them swapped out for some better white LED units
and yes i know it needs a clean

IMG_4109.JPG IMG_4111.JPG

I fitted blue self adhesive LED strips to the T5, looked well cool.

Back