Adblue

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust, Drivetrain' started by Frosty, 25 May 2017.

1. Frosty

Frosty Member VIP Member

Map
    Guys,

I have had this light for the adblue come on today. With the minimum and maximum being shown as 1 Gallon, do I simply add the 4.5 Litres and that's it? Is there a possibility of over filling it, or any other things I need to know before I potentially mess this up?

Thanks in advance.

adblue.jpg

2. Polzeylad

Polzeylad Senior Member T6 Guru

Try and find somewhere with an adblue pump and use that; far cleaner, cheaper and they cut off when full like a fuel pump.
    I will never buy Adblue in a container again!!

FindAdBlue.com

3. Frosty

Frosty Member VIP Member

Map
    That's the problem Polzeylad. The nearest place with the pump is on the motorway service station - 26 miles away.

I bought the full bloomin container now. Is that bad to do yourself?

4. hwd612

hwd612 Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Completely agree with @Polzeylad, find a petrol station with an adblue pump. However DO NOT wait for pump to click off like you would for diesel, you can overfill your adblue tank using a pump very easily. The adblue tank on the T6 has quite a long filler neck, this should not be filled, only the tank itself.

Only add the maximum that the dash tells you (you can always go into the settings and change your units so it'll give you the min and max in litres, then change it back once you've filled up).

I filled mine with a pump and waited for it to click off, subsequently the tank was over filled. In a few hundred miles the engine warning light came on as ultrasonic sensor that is inside the tank couldn't see the level going down.

5. Polzeylad

I had the dealer refill once (horrendous rip off) then topped up in France where I really struggled to find any. €10.99 for 1.5 litres (!) came in a special container which sealed but it STILL dripped slightly; the drip almost immediately crystallised on the paint and was hastily rinsed off! The pump was way easier. We're not that near to one either but it's handily on the way to the Plymouth Brittany ferry port.

Saves so much hassle and money; I paid 68p a litre.

Oh and it takes the sensor quite a while to "realise" you've topped up!

T6 Dave's Dad likes this.
  6. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Grape Yellow Beach VIP Member T6 Legend

Mine is showing 2500 at the moment, not got a clue what the min max is but mine shows .75 - 1.25 so it's not an amount to up me thinks

7. T6 Dave

T6 Dave Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Every services that I pull into in France has it on sale.. Have also seen specific filling kits in factors over there for filling..

I'd go to dealers and ask them to show you how to do it if that unsure (get them to use your can.

8. Polzeylad

I'm fine doing it. But it's far easier and cheaper to use a pump. So that's what I'll do.

T6 Dave's Dad and T6 Dave like this.
  9. T6 Dave

T6 Dave Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Sorry, rough day, last bit about being shown was meant for @Frosty ..

Polzeylad likes this.
  10. Polzeylad

Thought it seemed slightly odd! No worries.

11. PukkaT6

PukkaT6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Just typed in warrington and stockport and it said none :(

12. Polzeylad

13. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    I just bought 10L and waited until it was down to 1500 miles and it took the lot no problem.

14. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    A good point was made above, if you overfill the tank so the adblue level goes into the filler neck when you drive the engine knows adblue is being used (as the engine is requesting it to be used) but the level sensor in the tank does not measure any drop (because you are using the fluid in the filler neck) and the van can throw an error, albeit a minor one.

15. CaliStu

CaliStu Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

My nearest adblue pump is 50 miles away and I still prefer it to using a container :)

Obviously I don't make a specific journey though. I just wait until I'm passing and it's nearly empty.

Last edited: 25 May 2017
  16. Chrisfraser05

Chrisfraser05 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

38 miles for me!!!

Think I'll be buying containers lol

17. PukkaT6

PukkaT6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Im thinking wait until 500 miles left and whack 5 litres in and repeat.

18. Stueyhants

Stueyhants Member

Mine has nearly 2000 miles on her now but the adblue is still saying 4500 miles to go. At one point it went up to 5000 miles to go but then came back down and hasn't shifted for 500 miles or so ...... is that normal ?

19. El purito

El purito New Member

Map
    My LWB 2o6 DSG T6 Kombi from new had 5k of Ad Blue, I've now driven nearly 4k and it's still showing 5k of Ad Blue.
    Maybe I'm missing something?

20. Oldrat

Oldrat Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Apols but a newbie numpy Q.

What happens if you dont refill the adblue?

Not had to use additives since the 70's and using 2-stroke in me motorcicles.

Cheers Ratty