Adblue /software version

As I see it my next plan of attack will be check the adblue injector is functioning and check adblue in the tank with refractometer does that sound about right ?
Agreed, sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

If interested to log NOx sensor with a couple of related parameters (exhaust temps, air flow, etc)

VCDS > Select Control Module > Engine > Adv. Meas. Values
tick "Group UDS Requests by 7" (greatly enhances sampling rate)
View attachment 160502

then tick the following data channels

IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00075 Vehicle speed​
IDE00347 Air mass: actual value​
IDE04090 Exhaust temperature bank 1​
IDE04098 NOx-sensor​
IDE07757 Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​
IDE09009 NOx sensor after SCR catalytic converter: supply voltage​
IDE10241 Reducing agent pump module relative press.: calculated​
IDE10248 Reducing agent supply pump: offset factor calculated​
IDE09017 NOx sens.dwnstrm.SCR cat conv: NOx conc.​
IDE10817 Lambda value at inlet of particulate filter​
IDE11219 Reducing agent inj. quantity: spec. value​

Click on Log to start logging.

and take the van for 30 minute drive. Disable Stop/start. Preferably some driving at no faster than 50-60 mph.

The result file will be in the ...Logs -folder

I'm definitely interested to see if (or not) the NOx sensor doesn't wake up. Actually by recording also AdBlue injection (commanded) I'm hoping we could see something about injector behaviour. Thus my working theory is if commanded (specified) values (pressure, injected quantity) go up without reduction of NOx levels - it would indicate clogged injector. However, never had a chance prove if this theory actually works.
Will have a go at that asap

Reactions: mmi
Thank you very much!

Quite a discrepancy in remaining AdBlue range what Instruments sees (450 km) vs. what engine reports (9635 km).
Also marked with red/yellow other not normal values - obviously the AdBlue Warning is stored here.

View attachment 160500

Interesting why/how the Instruments has taken a separate path. Possibly the "flags" below from engine are the cause :unsure:

ENG110382-ENG20519SCR inducem system status-deviation of reagent consumptionCONSUMP_DEVIATION
ENG110382-ENG20518SCR inducem system status-incorrect reagentINCORR_REAG
ENG110382-ENG20516SCR inducem system status-inducement system activeactive

Just remains the mystery what's the root cause -
Where did you find the engine flags above mate

Where did you find the engine flags above mate
They are in the blockmap -files you posted. I compared your files with quite a few of my logs - on yours they are different than in my logs (no faults) that''s why I believe they are some kind of status "flags".

They are in the blockmap -files you posted. I compared your files with quite a few of my logs - on yours they are different than in my logs (no faults) that''s why I believe they are some kind of status "flags".
heres the live data log hope I've done it right

Attachments

• LOG-01-IDE00021_&11.CSV
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
heres the live data log hope I've done it right

Thanks! Intriguing data :geek:

A few snippets below -

(A) NOx sensor is powered at 672.56 seconds (12 minutes) - normal
(B) NOx sensor "initializes" approx. 20 seconds later (pattern 1650,...) - normal - starts reporting meaningful values a few seconds later - normal (below green 28, 46, 57,...)
(C) OBD channel IDE04098 for NOx sensor "wakes up" a minute later at 759.67 seconds - normal'ish
I do not have exact data on this - just observed that indeed there is a delay 1-2 minutes between sensor raw data and the OBD data (NOx11...)​

1655231336837.png

I apologize unclear instructions - should have mentioned it's best to search the channels by IDExxxxx numbers as the descriptions are not always unique. A few channels of second NOx sensor (which this engine doesn't have) were now recorded - thus just no data from those.

However, the NOx values (channel IDE09017) show NOx average of 78 ppm - which is quite/very high when compared with engine revs on journey (average 1290 RPM).

I would expect to see less than 25ppm under these condition (even below 10ppm with the updated ECU software). The above might actually explain the P20EE faults in earlier log.

I believe the NOx sensor works correctly (wake up, live data). Assuming the values reported by sensor are of right magnitude, the evidence (high NOx) suggests that the AdBlue injection might be seriously hindered.

Do you know if something was done with the DPF approx. 10000 miles ago?

A few snippets below -

(B) NOx sensor "initializes" approx. 20 seconds later (pattern 1650,...) - normal - starts reporting meaningful values a few seconds later - normal (below green 28, 46, 57,...)
(C) OBD channel IDE04098 for NOx sensor "wakes up" a minute later at 759.67 seconds - normal'ish
I do not have exact data on this - just observed that indeed there is a delay 1-2 minutes between sensor raw data and the OBD data (NOx11...)​

View attachment 160677

I apologize unclear instructions - should have mentioned it's best to search the channels by IDExxxxx numbers as the descriptions are not always unique. A few channels of second NOx sensor (which this engine doesn't have) were now recorded - thus just no data from those.

However, the NOx values (channel IDE09017) show NOx average of 78 ppm - which is quite/very high when compared with engine revs on journey (average 1290 RPM).

I would expect to see less than 25ppm under these condition (even below 10ppm with the updated ECU software). The above might actually explain the P20EE faults in earlier log.

I believe the NOx sensor works correctly (wake up, live data). Assuming the values reported by sensor are of right magnitude, the evidence (high NOx) suggests that the AdBlue injection might be seriously hindered.

A few snippets below -

View attachment 160677

After speaking to previous owner he said it had a dpf clean by a proper company a year or two ago

We tested the adblue injector it was atomising but slowly and not much adblue was dosed but we have nothing to compare with if it's normal or not

After speaking to previous owner he said it had a dpf clean by a proper company a year or two ago
Hmmm... that's interesting - makes me wonder why. The DPF should last over 150.000 miles.
Makes me wonder what's the condition of SCR trap catalytic converter inside the DPF (the NOx trap).

Specifically about T6 engines more here, page 27 onwards. The NOx trap on page 28.

More general information about AdBlue systems

Unfortunately Engine's repair manual doesn't offer any more information.- just instructions how to replace parts.

He admitted the problem occured due to too many short trips don't think he was particularly tuned in to when the vehicle is trying to regen etc

Sure, probably the one you are looking for is: VCDS > Select Control Module > Engine > Basic Settings > IDE10240-Resetting reduction agent fill level detection to sensor value
Did the Basic Setting (above) do anything?

No I tried that resetting the learned values and finishing it off with scr efficiency test but it wouldn't allow me to carry that out said aborted for safety reasons .I'm guessing that maybe because of the incorrect reagent flag

Bit of an update to the saga garage has done an scr reset forced regen and reflashed ECU EML has come back on with p20ee code and egr insufficient flow within 60 miles but no adblue countdown as yet

Just short of 200 miles and the adblue warning is back any ideas what i should try next pretty sure its the p20 ee fault thats put the warning on not sure why im still getting egr faults as its been changed

Attachments

• blockmap-01-04L-906-056-KA_WV1ZZZ7HZGH098135-20220625-1603.CSV
    124.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Log-WV1ZZZ7HZGH098135-131160km-81499mi.txt
    12.3 KB · Views: 7
Is the Blockmap showing the adblue level dropping?
Yes, by comparing first and last blockmap - sensor reading went from 131 mm down to 119 mm - while driven 691 km.
By those numbers the engine would be guzzling AdBlue - mine runs three times longer with the same sensor readings.
Perhaps the van was not parked the same way - incline may be?

Not tried egr adaptation the adblue level discrepancy will be because I've removed some to check quality/injector function

Bit of an update to the saga garage has done an scr reset forced regen and reflashed ECU EML has come back on with p20ee code and egr insufficient flow within 60 miles but no adblue countdown as yet
I guess blockmap data was not captured right after the reflash? Would have been interesting to see what was different.

In the blockmap data these ones are still suspicious = different what i've seen.
ENG110382-ENG20519SCR inducem system status-deviation of reagent consumptionCONSUMP_DEVIATION
ENG110382-ENG20516SCR inducem system status-inducement system activeactive

Just short of 200 miles and the adblue warning is back any ideas what i should try next pretty sure its the p20 ee fault thats put the warning on
I believe they are related. P20EE just indicates too high NOx level in the exhaust, which is a consequence of poorly working NOx reduction system as a whole. Thus a guess would be either the AdBlue system itself - P204F, or go with P20EE NOx Catalyst Bank - Efficiency too low. In the worst case the latter would mean that the SCR trap catalytic converter inside the DPF isn't working as desired.

Just to keep all pieces together - Readings of G849 Reducing agent quality sensor was briefly discussed here.:
Here is an engine blockmap of another engine with exactly the same software:

PS. I edited the post #20 - now there is attached a VCDS preset file for setting up measurements. If you have a chance to make another recording so we could see AdBlue amounts the engine reports using vs. NOx levels.

Did the Basic Setting (above) do anything?
@mmi your advice to 'reset reduction agent fill level detection to sensor values'.

I have the countdown of doom with no suggested refill amount.

Will it do any harm me following this step and seeing if it clears the countdown?

@mmi your advice to 'reset reduction agent fill level detection to sensor values'.

I have the countdown of doom with no suggested refill amount.

Will it do any harm me following this step and seeing if it clears the countdown?

I don't know if it would change anything - because it seems the engine is seeing the level correctly and also the range accordingly (below).
Probably won't hurt.

@mmi
Reducing agent sensor fill level actual value = 4.291in
Remaining vehicle distance= 5166.94 miles

Dashboard Urea operating range - 215.61 miles
MFD displays 500 mile range (no advice on fill quantity)

Back