AdBlue Discussion and Issues

***Title changed to improve search***
***Similar topics merged into this topic***
***Topic pinned***

Update on my van. The engine management light came on, again, when driving south for Christmas. Called VW assist and made sure I got the VW assist tech as opposed to the generic AA vans.
Ad blue related error again. This is only one month after my last call out and the 3rd time since new.
Is anyone else getting this frequency of ad blue issues? I know that there is a software fix on the cards after having a good chat with the VW assist tech.

28p a Litre is the price my mate gets it for at work loading shovels and potentially down to 25p if bulk order is placed.
Just shows the profit mark up at the forecourt and dealers.

Update on my van. The engine management light came on, again, when driving south for Christmas. Called VW assist and made sure I got the VW assist tech as opposed to the generic AA vans.
Ad blue related error again. This is only one month after my last call out and the 3rd time since new.
Is anyone else getting this frequency of ad blue issues? I know that there is a software fix on the cards after having a good chat with the VW assist tech.
My engine management light came on beginning of December. Stayed on for a few days before going out again.
Couple of weeks later came on again and stayed on. My ad-blue range also went from 5000 miles range to 650 miles. Booked in to dealership for assessment. Got back van same day with 'ad-blue adaptions' carried out under warranty. Eng management light off and ad-blue range back at 5000 miles.
150tdi with 6ok miles

My engine management light came on beginning of December. Stayed on for a few days before going out again.
Couple of weeks later came on again and stayed on. My ad-blue range also went from 5000 miles range to 650 miles. Booked in to dealership for assessment. Got back van same day with 'ad-blue adaptions' carried out under warranty. Eng management light off and ad-blue range back at 5000 miles.
150tdi with 6ok miles

What are these mystical 'AdBlue adaptions' yr speak of...? It would be interesting to know, for future reference if my AdBlue light comes on again...... TIA.

What are these mystical 'AdBlue adaptions' yr speak of...? It would be interesting to know, for future reference if my AdBlue light comes on again...... TIA.
I asked the same question to the service receptionist but unfortunately she wasn't able to go into any detail.

As far as I am aware all they do is empty your ad blue tank, Then add a measured amount of adblue and force a calibration of the level sensor.
I’ve had this done 2 times on my van, and it’s NOT to do with over filling before you ask.

I don’t know why by my level sensor seems to get confused for no good reason.

150tdi with 6ok miles
Same fault has returned. I’m guessing VW dealer just cleared code and hoped for the best . Booked back in this coming Friday

View attachment 19529 Not sure if anyone has had this error yet, but this has just popped up when literally seconds ago it was showing 4K, note the min and max levels! It had 12.14 litres added at 26477

Currently sat in the dealers waiting for a diagnosis/fix!

I’ll update once I have an answer!

Just had the same come up on my only for 650 miles remaining . What was the out come with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

They just turned the light off and it's not reappeared, its not far from the 80's and 90's fix of a dodgy back street (Take the bulb out) :whistle:

I did speak to another senior tech over the PO46C Code i mentioned above, and apparently its the egr sensor throwing signals outside the parameters, and it logs these, VW are adamant its a software glitch and nothing more, as yet there's no fix for it :unsure:

I think I've had the same issue tonight. I had driven around 120 miles, after the first 60 miles the emissions control lamp came on as a permanent light, turned the ignition off for 30 seconds but didnt go away, carried on driving for 40 miles then the ad blue alert came up the same as yours but saying i had 650 miles left and min 1 gallon - max 1 gallon? But earlier in the day the adblue said i had 4500 miles left?

i have the van booked in next week to get something else looked at so hopefully they can check this out too, hopefully i dont have another dud van after having a 61 plate 180 sportline that had all the known problems.

Oh he we go I just got shot of my 1.6 tdci focus due a lot of issue with that even after all my precautionary work on it. VW just called and the guy was very nice and said in fairness in his experience they have not had too many issues with adblue failures . Getting her booked in next week I hope. they have a courtesy car otherwise I am burnt toast without a vehicle .

I will update on the situ........

I have just popped down to my local dealer, one of the technicians said he would check it out for me, he plugged it in and said there was two adblue faults. Here’s the screenshot of the fault codes.

E5F19F32-F99B-4B5D-8124-FCF1B0E72FCC.jpeg

416203C9-95F9-4626-B2C9-781D784A3948.jpeg

He just said he will wipe it then go and top up the adblue see if it comes back before it’s booked in on the 14th jan. so we will see! Thinking about it now I should of topped it up first to see if it got rid of the emissions control
Light.

Same issue came up on my T6 2018 Kombi High Line today ... looks like a common fault
Spoke to someone on the service desk at JCT Van centre in Sheffield today and found the person abrupt and unfriendly so one things for sure my van won’t be going anywhere nr there .....

DDBF42F0-6975-4FCC-8317-667DFA300EF6.jpeg

Must be a faulty sensor as how can the min and max amount be the same value when there are only 650 miles range?
I wonder if there is an adaption process for calibrating the sensor and it has lost that calibration...?

Hi, mine cleared itself. Though still have 2 fault code present in ECU . Got on the motorway and the adblue warning disappeared and the miles remaining went back to 2500 where it was when it faulted .VW garage on Tuesday.

Hi, mine cleared itself. Though still have 2 fault code present in ECU . Got on the motorway and the adblue warning disappeared and the miles remaining went back to 2500 where it was when it faulted .VW garage on Tuesday.
Had you just filled it?

Back