Adblue and Exhaust warning light poll- what is happening to who, with what vans, driving how, is the problem getting fixed, how long is this taking..

Have you had Adblue / Exhaust warning light issues?

• Total voters

ed123

VIP Member
I've had a series of adblue and xxhaust system warnings over the last month. These seem to be a well known issue and some people have had them fixed by the software update- but others have not at all (me included).

So data might be helpful. Please complete even if you haven't had problems- just to say you haven't and if you haven't which van.

It would be helpful for everyone to know what is happening and most importantly what works to fix it.

If I can I'll add more questions if anyone has suggestions.

HAve only done a few hundred miles in my 102ps but no issues to date; reading was 4500 now 4000 miles. Hoping for the best as off to France on first long trip soon. Advice seems to be: don't overfill (10l at c1500 range); keep fuel at >1/4 full.....

180PS Bi-Turbo Euro5, 2016 MY, 41500 miles, never had any warning lights or any warranty issues other than a blown fuse on internal lights and 2x ventilation blower resistor packs.

Mine was me being a wally and putting the dregs in and therefore overfilling it.

What issues did you get with it? Did the fix sort it out for good?

Just the DEF error, and the 650 miles to no restart. Drained some out and drove it until it recalibrated. It jumped back up to a range of 5000 miles.

Just the DEF error, and the 650 miles to no restart. Drained some out and drove it until it recalibrated. It jumped back up to a range of 5000 miles.
Glad it was only minor.

Sounds like it’s difficult to tell if there is just recalibration required or if there is a more serious issue.

hopefully the poll will shine a light on the issues.

I've had a series of adblue and xxhaust system warnings over the last month. These seem to be a well known issue and some people have had them fixed by the software update- but others have not at all (me included).

So data might be helpful. Please complete even if you haven't had problems- just to say you haven't and if you haven't which van.

It would be helpful for everyone to know what is happening and most importantly what works to fix it.

If I can I'll add more questions if anyone has suggestions.
Gutted for you Ed.

have you booked it in for any more diagnostic work?

Out of interest, what engine is it?
does anyone on here know if you can tell when the engine was made??

Just wondering if a certain batch of engine is affected or if VW did something when they started getting reports (even if they’re formally denying an issue they will not be ignoring it behind the scenes in R&D!)

Gutted for you Ed.

have you booked it in for any more diagnostic work?

Out of interest, what engine is it?
does anyone on here know if you can tell when the engine was made??

Just wondering if a certain batch of engine is affected or if VW did something when they started getting reports (even if they’re formally denying an issue they will not be ignoring it behind the scenes in R&D!)
THanks Des.

150hp, DSG. started about 28k, always on cruise control. Not overfilled with Adblue and only driven minimal times and minimal miles on 1/4 tank.

I think your questions re date of manufacture are excellent. Engine, EGR, Adblue injector and DPF (possibly).

It is in the garage now and they have sent diagnostics to MK. As it is it is the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I've had some absolute shockers.

THanks to th epeople who add to the poll as I'd hope it can help everyone. Sould have added a date of manufacture column. Dohh.

Cheeky......TSi 25000 miles no warning lights never needed adblue or a a recycle thingy, am I allowed to vote ? :devil:;)

Cheeky......TSi 25000 miles no warning lights never needed adblue or a a recycle thingy, am I allowed to vote ? :devil:;)
When you least expect it... :sneaky:

When you least expect it... :sneaky:
Interesting for petrol engines fitted to VW cars, the EA888 fitted to the T6 is the Audi engine variant, I haven't seen any info on blocked PPFs on the Audi petrol engine, or in fact if it is fitted on the T6, nothing underneath looks remotely like it, there is nothing in the manual and no corresponding dash lights, do you have further information ?

Interesting for petrol engines fitted to VW cars, the EA888 fitted to the T6 is the Audi engine variant, I haven't seen any info on blocked PPFs on the Audi petrol engine, or in fact if it is fitted on the T6, nothing underneath looks remotely like it, there is nothing in the manual and no corresponding dash lights, do you have further information ?
Unfortunately not really much - there is a catalytic converter (the traditional one) but no details if nowadays inside there is more. Neither does the repair manual reveal much >-<
The TSI's are very rare here so haven't had a chance to have a closer look :(.

My 150 DSG MY 2019 had 4 emission warning lights by 2k miles. Reset each time by VW Assist / AA. I took van into main agent without resetting the last time and they replaced the SCR valve. All good so far, now at 4k miles.

Does it count if I put Adblue in the diesel ?
van is currently at dealer but they are saying end of September before can look at it

Hi all, close to buying my first van, a T6 Kombi, 150 diesel. I’ve just come across all these issues with Adblue and it’s putting me off making the purchase!
The van I’m planning on buying is a 68 plate 2019 DSG.
Would I be right assuming that this is an ongoing (potential) problem, even to newer/new vehicles?
Thanks for your help

I think it’s the way we drive them too. Short journeys are not good. I do a lot of long journeys and so far have had no problems yet.

Back