AC in rear ?

GordyT6

Refrigeration Install Engineer
T6 Pro
Just seen a lovely T5 for sale on a FB site but it says it has full AC throughout Inc custom rear AC unit ? Anybody else heard of rear Ac units? Could do with one. Ta peeps

I've just noticed my phone auto corrected AC to my wife's name ? She not welcome here. Lol.
Anyway. I'm feeling my AC in my Kombi hasn't quite got enough oomf if you know what I mean.
If it's a VW extra I'm assuming it runs off a larger compressor from factory? Or has it got a separate compressor and condenser ? Any info would be nice. @mhill @StudleyGlass
Ta all

@GordyT6 i agree with your regarding the standard AC. It's just doesn't seem to do the job as well as would be expected but unfortunately I am no help with your question although am interested in the answer.

There is a separate box inside the rear tailgate that feeds the overhead 6 vents for cold air and a low level vent for rear heat, its a £750 option and well worth it in a Kombi.

I don't think there is a compressor in the boot, its more of a fan box with a couple of actuated flaps with some super insulated pipes running under the floor to it. Its almost identical to the system we had in our Tourneo Custom.

I've got some photos somewhere which ill throw up at some point.

I image the conversion company's do retro fit heating and air con for the rear £££

Yeah, I've got an eberspacher heater fitted in the back of mine that runs off the diesel. It also blows cold air...... It was a godsend whilst trying to get to sleep in France. Just turned it on an hour before we went to bed and it cooled the van right down. :thumbsup::thumbsdown:
Agree about the standard air con though..... Just doesn't blow cold enough for me :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Happy with air con but only when I take control of the fan setting, auto is woefully slow to cool the van down, wind the fan up and it's artic!

I had it in my t5.1 ,you have to have the front fan on and air con turned on in the front .
The rear control switch only works the fan speed and temperature ,you only get the air con out of the roof vents and heat from the floor vent

Back