ABT splitter fitted to my 6.1 Cali

Abx

T6 Pro
So whilst I was waiting the 9 months for my Cali to arrive I was struggling to make a decision on what front splitter to fit, at the end of the day it's a camper so did not want anything to in your face but also wanted something to make it less like a bog standard camper.

Options were:

LV, not personally keen on the look, and a bit much for a camper van
Raceline, nice subtle lip to match the LV side bars
ABT, good quality but pretty expensive

Initially went for the Raceline and was quoted about £300 supply only (I live hundreds of miles from them), phoned up to order and they changed their minds on the quote I had from them originally and decided I'd have to pay the fully fitted price even though I'd fit myself, terrible customer service and refused to give them my business so walked away.

So my next option was the ABT, great quality but at 1k + painting not a cheap option, VW wanted over 2k to supply and fit which is just too much so fitted myself this weekend. It was not the easiest thing to fit but I'm sure if you did week in week out would be a piece of cake, with the many curves it was very hard to get in the right position to allow all of them to sit flush, and as its bonded on you have to rely on masking tape take to hold in place whilst it cures (for 24hrs) and you only have 10 mins fitting time, if it used 3M tape as well as adhesive it would be much easier as would instant grab in place.

Anyway, its on and I'm over the moon with how its looks, the front is just how I imagined it.

fr.jpg

si.jpg

That looks awesome, but agree they are a pricey bit of kit! I was looking at the new LVR kit but you could buy a nice small hatchback for the price of the full kit!

Reactions: Abx
That looks awesome, but agree they are a pricey bit of kit! I was looking at the new LVR kit but you could buy a nice small hatchback for the price of the full kit!
Totally agree, 5k for a new front and rear bumper is madness……but there will be those willing to spend it, I wonder if they will command a premium of 5k when they start coming up secondhand.

Sorry 2 hijack a thread but thought it was relevant.. looking at both fitments they have been fitted really well with no bonding showing.
I have had one fitted by a vw dealer and I personally think they've done a botch job as u can clearly see all the bonding in parts. I have attached pics and would like a few opinions if possible. Sorry for the long thread.

20211012_220753.jpg

20210406_140820.jpg

20210406_140753.jpg

20210406_140751.jpg

20210406_140738.jpg

20210406_140716.jpg

20210406_140738.jpg

20210406_140716.jpg

20210406_140753.jpg

Sorry 2 hijack a thread but thought it was relevant.. looking at both fitments they have been fitted really well with no bonding showing.
I have had one fitted by a vw dealer and I personally think they've done a botch job as u can clearly see all the bonding in parts. I have attached pics and would like a few opinions if possible. Sorry for the long thread.

View attachment 132935

View attachment 132936

View attachment 132937

View attachment 132938

View attachment 132939

View attachment 132940

View attachment 132941

View attachment 132942

View attachment 132943
That’s a crap job IMO

View attachment 132935

View attachment 132936

View attachment 132937

View attachment 132938

View attachment 132939

View attachment 132940

View attachment 132941

View attachment 132942

View attachment 132943
That’s not great. You shouldn’t see the bonding like that. I’d be asking them to correct it.

Thanks for the feed back.. i thought myself it was poor and have asked them 2 have it redone and they've told me that there's nothing wrong with it and also they've had a second body shop to look at it and they said that they couldn't have fitted it better...I have told them that I'm still not happy and they've offered me a new abt bumper and expect me to pay for it to be painted and fitted. I'm new to this game and don't know what a fair price is for it to be painted and fitted so I can ask them for compensation to pay for it.
If any one has a rough idea how much it would cost that would be great.
Thanks

Painting & fitting of just that lower section I’d have thought £300

I got the Van Worx complete front splitter and rear spoiler painted & fitted £450

Thanks for the reply..
So if someone was gonna charge 400-500 to take off and then refit a new one would you say that was reasonable as that is what I was quoted as they dont know how much of a mess its gonna make on the original bumper. i told vw and he said that that is way too steep and that they charge 150 to fit and paint..

Thanks for the reply..
So if someone was gonna charge 400-500 to take off and then refit a new one would you say that was reasonable as that is what I was quoted as they dont know how much of a mess its gonna make on the original bumper. i told vw and he said that that is way too steep and that they charge 150 to fit and paint..
I’d say that’s a bit on the high side , they obviously are factoring in removing the mess

Sorry for late response, that’s a terrible job, mine is 95% perfect and that was doing it myself, I’ve just one small section that’s a little bit wide but it really is only visible from the top and because it’s white van with black adhesive.

£300 mine cost to paint as it’s quite fidderly, and that was with the bottom in black, mate did it for me, no mates rates but I knew he’d do a good job.

Fitting was very tricky but I’d expect VW to do a better job than that, most of the dodgy bit is because they took to long to tidy up the adhesive and it goes like that after being exposed to the air for 20/30 minutes.

I think you’ll struggle to get it replaced easily and there is a risk of damaging the bumper taking it off as the proper VW adhesive is strong, plus when/if you do get it off it will leave a real mess behind that will take a lot of time for someone to clear up to prep the area to start afresh.

Sorry to not be the barer of good news, I think VW need to take responsibility for this and fix at their or cost.

I must admit this is why I chose to fit myself and get the Mrs to help, it took a lot of time to get it right and unfortunately I didn’t trust anyone else.

As yours is a dark van you ‘could’ buy some more adhesive and run a bead along the edge to hide what you can see, not ideal but may be a compromise.

I think 400/500 is actually quite good to fix it.

Check the uk ABT site out (Richter Automotive), they have a fitted price for these posted on the site so will give you a good bit of evidence to take back to VW as to what it will cost, obviously that’s without the hassle of getting old one off so add another £200 to that.

89218C76-A24B-4951-9611-E50F6CAA5616.jpeg

3A069E7D-B5B6-41DA-B926-4FB45713F689.jpeg

View attachment 132935

View attachment 132936

View attachment 132937

View attachment 132938

View attachment 132939

View attachment 132940

View attachment 132941

View attachment 132942

View attachment 132943
Just an update for you.and thanks for all your replies.
They have finally agreed a new splitter with up to £500 removing and fitting costs. Happy days

Back