ABT eTransporter 6.1

Hardly anyone overtakes now on normal roads and so plugs of cars getting ever longer form. It can be very frustrating for many, especially in the holiday seasons It is like a long piece of elastic. Compressed on the twisty bits and stretched along the straits. Few know how to overtake properly and efficiently now and they also seam to become very upset if anyone overtakes them. Some accelerate and some even try to block by driving wide when they seance some one might be going past or try to stop some one pulling in after they have completed the initial pass by accelerating up to the bumper of the car in front. It is criminal behaviour I believe. It is much better to drive later at night or in the early morning. I should imagine after Covid 19 shut down roads and people will resemble a cork in a shaken champaign bottle.
You won't believe this but one time I was out on my motorbike with a couple of friends. When the first bike went to overtake a driving school vehicle, with a learner driver obviously having a lesson, I saw the instructor grab the wheel and steer the vehicle towards the overtaking bike. I am still amazed whenever I think about this. Its also not like we were riding like loons, all members of the IAM and riding within the law.

You won't believe this but one time I was out on my motorbike with a couple of friends.
When the first bike went to overtake a driving school vehicle, with a learner driver obviously having a lesson, I saw the instructor grab the wheel and steer the vehicle towards the overtaking bike.
I am still amazed whenever I think about this. Its also not like we were riding like loons, all members of the IAM and riding within the law.
I once worked with a bloke who had the attitude of “Why should they be able to overtake when I’m sat in traffic? I move out to block the gap”
Needless to say, a village was definitely missing its idiot whilst he was at work.

Due to some brilliant lease deals I am looking at get one of these as my new work van I only travel 50miles a day , I’m a bit concerned at the lack of power (currently have a remapped 102) but I have been told that you can have top speed upped to 75 from 56 which should help . It’s a 2 year deal so won’t be the end of the world if it’s underwhelming! Hopefully makes a nice change from rattling diesel and petrol stations, I won’t miss the £100 fill ups

Who’s driven one? I’ve actually been to the factory in ABT Kempten, and seen them being built before ‘mass’ production, a few years back.

Now I won’t hide my lack of love for electric.....and this van proved why!

Starting price of £42.5k after grant
Range of no more than 80 miles on a good day
Limited to 56mph

On the plus side the heated seats were nice, and for me thats about it.....

This electric vehicle is certainly not what the future is about. There was nothing about it that made me think wow, I need this van.

Be interesting to hear if anyone else has been in one?

View attachment 92408View attachment 92409View attachment 92410
What would the range be if is there is a full conversion carried out, one of the many hurdles that need to be overcome before electric vans will ever be on my radar.

Just read all this...The future is Orange ( an electric transporter ) but after reading the spec of the Polestar 2 the two are worlds apart..
Can’t believe that with all that space under the van you get 80m range....this just looks like a tinker job ..until ( let’s hope ) they build the van around the battery and give a real world range....but for all manufacturers until the charging System works for the average motorist who parks on the street and has to rely on charge points ..Why buy electric

Definitely a hugely flawed vehicle for most people and I laughed when it was first announced! 50k for a slow van with limited range compared to what Tesla will sell you .however cheap lease deals and it looks quite appealing now!

Hats off to anyone trying to make a difference, but still a bit disappointed at the results. Not exactly apples to apples comparison with Mercedes EQV 300, an electric Vito with 7 seats, and a range of 350km. It has a battery capacity of 100kWh, e-Transporter has only 37.3 kWh. I think the size of the battery is compromised to get a higher load rating.

I really think going electric isn't going the be the worst thing happening to me, but the current battery design many manufacturers use is low voltage modules, which hinders the capabilities of really fast charging. Good example is the Porsche Taycan that has a 800 Volt battery architecture which allows for fast charging up to 270kW from the new 350kW chargers. With those the Taycan can get from 5% to 80% in just over 20 minutes giving it a range of over 400km in that time. Me being a truck driver 400km is a one-sit range, after which bathroom brake and a snack both take about 20-minutes. Until the van industry can hit those numbers and range of lets say, 500km im just gonna enjoy polluting the world with my fossil t6.1.

Last edited:
Hats off to anyone trying to make a difference, but still a bit disappointed at the results.
I think it more likely to be about making money than trying to make a difference.
Like when VW started with Adblue / SCR, I think that was about meeting new emissions legislation, so that they could continue in business, not trying to reduce pollution.
VW don't have the best track record when it comes to trying to make a difference, although I doubt other companies are much better, VW got caught though!

Due to some brilliant lease deals I am looking at get one of these as my new work van I only travel 50miles a day , I’m a bit concerned at the lack of power (currently have a remapped 102) but I have been told that you can have top speed upped to 75 from 56 which should help . It’s a 2 year deal so won’t be the end of the world if it’s underwhelming! Hopefully makes a nice change from rattling diesel and petrol stations, I won’t miss the £100 fill ups
Hi James, my boss was speaking about getting the electric transporter as the shop vehicle, however the 56 limit was putting him off. How would he go about upping that to 75, would that be done at the factory or a 3rd party tuning company. If a 3rd party who is upping the limit.

your bang on with the £100 fill ups, won’t be missed.

Hi James, my boss was speaking about getting the electric transporter as the shop vehicle, however the 56 limit was putting him off. How would he go about upping that to 75, would that be done at the factory or a 3rd party tuning company. If a 3rd party who is upping the limit.

your bang on with the £100 fill ups, won’t be missed.
And how does changing the top speed affect the warranty if it's not done by the dealer?

I was lead to believe that it was a choice from the dealership if you wanted the higher speed limit.

Can't wait until there's plentiful electric van options. Been into cars for over 30 years but having run an ugly, unremarkable Nissan Leaf as our local runabout for the last three I'm completely cured of any dozy petrolhead sentimentality, I'm over internal combustion engines. Can't wait until I never have to drive another one. Neccessary evil for now but really they're awful things.

Can't wait until there's plentiful electric van options. Been into cars for over 30 years but having run an ugly, unremarkable Nissan Leaf as our local runabout for the last three I'm completely cured of any dozy petrolhead sentimentality, I'm over internal combustion engines. Can't wait until I never have to drive another one. Neccessary evil for now but really they're awful things.

Absolutely, can't wait for battery tech and battery economics to get to a point where an electric long-range transporter is viable. The internal combustion engine and all the complicated emissions-reducing hacks that goes with it really needs to be consigned to the history books.

Agree on 4pot diesels for sure. Id happily run an eletric bus if it means I can still get out in my fun car at weekends. I will mourn the day that Im not allowed to go for a blast in a great sounding car.

Took delivery of my very first transporter 5 days ago, an ABTe. Absolutely over the moon with it! Very quiet, comfortable and economical. Range really not the problem I thought it was. The 2 year lease deal is just amazingly good value!

Took delivery of my very first transporter 5 days ago, an ABTe. Absolutely over the moon with it! Very quiet, comfortable and economical. Range really not the problem I thought it was. The 2 year lease deal is just amazingly good value!
Keep us posted, you'll be able to provide one of the few unbiased real life reviews. A 2 year lease sounds like a great way to go with a battery vehicle.

I've been looking at the advance which comes in at under £280 per month on this lease. Factor in no road tax (£20 pm) and fuel savings and you could easily be seeing that monthly cost drop to £220 per month if you are on an economy 7 type electricity plan. VW have partnered with Octopus energy to offer such a plan which works out at 2p per mile to recharge at night but would need to investigate how this affects the remaining household usage using the day tariff.

The real underlying factor here is the range. Claimed at 80 miles but fully loaded who knows? BHP is 110 but someone here (was it @BognorMotors?) said it's acceleration is poor and again fully loaded would be even worse.

Another thing to consider is the insurance cost. Is there a hike on electric vehicles?

I too would love to hear your views on your experiences @DaveR. :thumbsup:

Back