About to jump in with the other foot

Yes, it does rather!
I was on autotrader yesterday drooling over the cars I could buy for van vs conversion money! Stunning really, but non would be so good for creating family memories

@GoatBoater you with buying the T6 and converting to a camper reminds of when we bought a caravan to move up from a family frame tent. It was about family memories and the ability to go off for a weekend at the drop of a hat, pull in, wind down the steadied and put the kettle. No worries about wet canvas to take down etc etc.

It's all about the family making memories together while you can and before the kids inevitably grow away eventually. I know that my boys still value those times, so good on you :cool::D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Enjoy !

Last edited:
@GoatBoater you with buying the T6 and converting to a camper reminds of when we bought a caravan to move up from a family frame tent. It was about family memories and the ability to go off for a weekend at the drop of a hat, pull in, wind down the steadied and put the kettle. No worries about wet canvas to take down etc etc.

It's all about the family making memories together while you can and before the kids inevitably grow away eventually. I know that my boys still value those times, so good on you :cool::D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Enjoy !

Yes - that is exactly it. Like many who run their own businesses I am crap at taking time off. My kids are 6 and 8 years old and I want to spend more time with them whilst they are fun to be around (I reserve the right to fundamentally change this stance when they turn into teenagers). I've spend the last three years promising myself that I'll soon be able to take proper holidays away from the firm and it hasn't happened anywhere near as much as I would like. The van is me trying a different approach: Weekends away and day trips : As many as we can do.

(the fact that I'll have a portable beach hut to change in after kayaking is just a bonus)

Yes - that is exactly it. Like many who run their own businesses I am crap at taking time off. My kids are 6 and 8 years old and I want to spend more time with them whilst they are fun to be around (I reserve the right to fundamentally change this stance when they turn into teenagers). I've spend the last three years promising myself that I'll soon be able to take proper holidays away from the firm and it hasn't happened anywhere near as much as I would like. The van is me trying a different approach: Weekends away and day trips : As many as we can do.

(the fact that I'll have a portable beach hut to change in after kayaking is just a bonus)
We've had our van since October after ordering it in March last year - we were going to wait a few more years but decided to go for it whilst our son (now 12) will still enjoy it and have not looked back - best thing we have ever bought! Lots of breaks already, some full weeks but mostly weekends within an hour or so of home which means we can get off after school on Friday in time to still have a nice evening, a full day doing whatever on the Saturday and a leisurely morning and drive home on the Sunday - love it!!

One of our memorable "all boys together" times involved no van or tents, just a train and 6 days hiking from Koblenz to Trier down the Moselle, cutting off some spurs and reentrants by contour and ridge walking with the boys practising their map reading (One a Cub and the other a Scout). The season hadn't started as it was just before Easter but we stopped in Gaesthauser each night. Fun time even though the weather could have been better as one day it was misty rain in the valley bottom which turned to snow on the ridge, but we were prepared!

Back