A Right Royal Pain In The Arse.

willythepooh

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So at the age of 65, I bought a van. I then ask Direct line about insurance and they just transferred over from my car until 17th Feb.
I phoned up again to renew and to cut a very long story short, they shouldn’t have.
If I modify the van, they can’t insure.
CVD quote £550 with mods, £410 without.
Go Compare - unable to quote.
Saga - unable to quote.
Wish I had never fkn bothered.

A woman at Direct Line thought that sound deadening and insulation was an exhaust mod.
She asked me if the tailgate spoiler was a whale tail

Apparently vans travel in a different dimension to ordinary cars,,, therefore when get your first van insurance the 12 years plus of no claims you accrued as a mere car driver are worthless and you have to start with ZERO NCD... WTF

Went with Brentacre and they actually credited me with the car NCD in the end! Didnt drop the price but will count next year seemingly.

Apparently vans travel in a different dimension to ordinary cars,,, therefore when get your first van insurance the 12 years plus of no claims you accrued as a mere car driver are worthless and you have to start with ZERO NCD... WTF

Went with Brentacre and they actually credited me with the car NCD in the end! Didnt drop the price but will count next year seemingly.
Interesting how the same company deal differently with different people. Brentacre accepted my no claims earned on a car without any hassle at the start of my policy.

Interesting how the same company deal differently with different people. Brentacre accepted my no claims earned on a car without any hassle at the start of my policy.

Brentacre ‘mirror’ the NCB earned on a car for van insurance. My second years insurance with Brentacre dropped just 4% with a years NCB on the van and 9 years NCB with a car!
Next year I’m looking elsewhere.

NFU reduced my premium as it would no longer be used for work, only social domestic & pleasure even though the value has increased by over £20,000
They considered a panel van to be of a higher risk ?????

I use Justkampers but confess that I don't know what they're like if you make a claim as I haven't had to - that's always the acid test for an insurance company. I'm the same age as you which wasn't an issue and they let me use my full no claims (but I don't insure my other cars with them). All in all, I suspect you would be much better off talking to a firm that knows campers!

Lv insured my modded van with no issues at all, accepted my ncb too without question. Cheapest vehicle I’ve ever insured...

Reactions: KR.
Brentacre, £440, do anything you want to the van.
A-Plan, £425, spoilers front/back, side awning, suspension, leisure battery, diesel heater. That’ll do ! Underwritten by Sabre.
CVD were going to charge £550 - Sabre again !

Last edited:
Trouble is as well you have to sit on the phone to them. Very few on line for campers? I was informed if I fitted bars under the sills they wouldn't insure me. Fitted tracker made no difference to the cost of the policy.

I insured with A plan and they informed me that any modification is covered. Only time they want notified is if i make any changes that increase the power output of the van (mapping in their words)
Was £365 if i remember correctly.
I thought not a bad price for a van........i am 40 though with full no claims and in a A rated postcode.

Back