985n Tailgate Gas Strut - supplier?

UNiCAD

Can anyone advise where I can get the upgraded gas struts from after soundproofing and insulating the rear tailgate and the best ones to go for?
Its the 985N rating ones I'm after not the 1200N for bike rack upgrades as I have heard they are too powerful.

They are the bike rack ones
7E0827550B = standard 900N
7E0827550C = caravelle 985N
7E0827550D = bike rack 1200N

I had the same issue and bought a set of 985n from @StudleyGlass that he no longer needed and it solved the problem. Dealer with the part numbers above is the easiest source I’d have thought, or find someone breaking a velle. HTH

I have a pair that spent a couple months on mine before i fitted a bike rack and upgraded to the stronger ones if your interested

@Pauly Do you know if T6.1 uses same struts as T6? I also need the 985N struts.

Yea expected that. Hoped to save a few quid on some genuine second hand ones.

No worries. New OEM struts arriving next week.
hi @RunDSG where did you get your OEM struts. Did you go with 985N? Happy with them? I'm looking for pair for my sound deadened & lined tailgate. Thanks very much

hi @RunDSG where did you get your OEM struts. Did you go with 985N? Happy with them? I'm looking for pair for my sound deadened & lined tailgate. Thanks very much
I bought the 985N struts from TPS. They were £122.78. Part number 7E0 827 550 C.

They’ve done the job. Tailgate opens fully without trouble, and stays open.

Admittedly, I expected the tailgate to be noticeably stiffer. It’s not much different than before, so I guess that’s about right!

(Eg. I made the tailgate too heavy for the previous struts, but the new struts account for that and leave the tailgate functioning as it did previously. It’s annoying to have to spend £122 to return to how it worked before. Hope this sound deadening and insulation pays off, right?!)

I’ve been using the new struts in colder temperatures, so the tailgate will likely open more strongly in the summer months. At first I worried it wasn’t opening strongly enough, but I’ve totally forgotten about it since and haven’t had reason to complain.

I think the jump to the 1200Nm struts would be too much, unless you had a tailgate bike carrier.

I went for the VW struts, but cheaper companies are probably fine. It’s a rather simple part that’s very easy to fit, but then again you don’t really want it to ever fail on you.

Hope that helps. If you’re anywhere near Cambridgeshire, you’re welcome to have a look.

I bought the 985N struts from TPS. They were £122.78. Part number 7E0 827 550 C.

They’ve done the job. Tailgate opens fully without trouble, and stays open.

Admittedly, I expected the tailgate to be noticeably stiffer. It’s not much different than before, so I guess that’s about right!

(Eg. I made the tailgate too heavy for the previous struts, but the new struts account for that and leave the tailgate functioning as it did previously. It’s annoying to have to spend £122 to return to how it worked before. Hope this sound deadening and insulation pays off, right?!)

I’ve been using the new struts in colder temperatures, so the tailgate will likely open more strongly in the summer months. At first I worried it wasn’t opening strongly enough, but I’ve totally forgotten about it since and haven’t had reason to complain.

I think the jump to the 1200Nm struts would be too much, unless you had a tailgate bike carrier.

I went for the VW struts, but cheaper companies are probably fine. It’s a rather simple part that’s very easy to fit, but then again you don’t really want it to ever fail on you.

Hope that helps. If you’re anywhere near Cambridgeshire, you’re welcome to have a look.
Thank you very much. I think 1200 would be too much too. TPS tell me they only sell to trade so scouring the internet atm. If you know anywhere else I can get 985 or 1080 please let me know. Thanks again

Thank you very much. I think 1200 would be too much too. TPS tell me they only sell to trade so scouring the internet atm. If you know anywhere else I can get 985 or 1080 please let me know. Thanks again
So bizarre. I’ve heard of some TPS refusing to sell direct to customers.

I’ve bought quite a few bits from the Cambridge TPS with no issue.

Where are you located?

You could go after market.

If you’re keen on VW genuine struts, and you can’t find them elsewhere, I could probably help you out. Eg. Pick them up on your behalf and ship.

So bizarre. I’ve heard of some TPS refusing to sell direct to customers.

I’ve bought quite a few bits from the Cambridge TPS with no issue.

Where are you located?

You could go after market.

If you’re keen on VW genuine struts, and you can’t find them elsewhere, I could probably help you out. Eg. Pick them up on your behalf and ship.
I called the 3 TPS centres closest to me (Watford) and they all refused to sell to me directly. Thank you so much for offering to help but I hate to put you to trouble and will buy after market ones - there is just such an array of manufacturers - it would be great to have a recommendation.

Back