5sp Gearbox Whine?

Tomboy

Hi all,
I’ve just brought a 66 plate 102bhp t6 van. Absolutely love it, apart from a whine that starts once I engage 5th gear? Dip the clutch or change down to 4th and the noise disappears? Anyone else encountered this problem? Not sure if this is a normal noise or gearbox/clutch/bearing fault
Thanks peeps!

Dip the clutch, and the noise stops you say?

So if you press the clutch in/out while staying in 5th... the noise comes and goes?

Further update on this noise. If travelling in 5th the whine/drone noise is there, taking your foot off the accelerator and it goes away, coming back again once the accelerator is pressed again? It’s going back into VW next week but would love to know if anyone has experienced this issue and what I could possibly steer VW towards?
Any help would be appreciated.

It clearly shouldn’t do this. It sounds like wear in the gearbox. You haven’t said how many miles the van has done.
Don’t let VW fob you off - it needs sorting.

Pete

It clearly shouldn’t do this. It sounds like wear in the gearbox. You haven’t said how many miles the van has done.
Don’t let VW fob you off - it needs sorting.

Pete
It’s done 60k and has just been serviced by VW before it was delivered. The VW warranty is valid until Mar 2020. VW offer a 30 day no quibble exchange but not sure how true that would be. Seems odd that it only makes the noise upon acceleration. Thanks for your advice Pete.

its sounding like a gearbox issue,

possibly a bearing or gearwheel or syncro, idler shaft.

whats the van spec?

66 plate 102bhp t6 van (5peed)
miles on clock?

being a 66 plate it will be a warranty job anyway.

backround info on a 5spd: VW 5-speed Manual Gearbox 0A4 Workshop Manual - Pdf Free Online

backround info on a 6spd: VAG SSP 320 – 6-speed Manual Gearbox 0A5 - Pdf Free Online

think i would bet on the 5th gear syncro mesh/hub in the box . . . . . . but the chances are they will just RR swap out the box instead of stripping it down.

31.JPG

Last edited:
That 30 day return is handy. You can threaten then with that if they don’t play ball.

Noise just under acceleration is not unusual.

Pete

I driven a friends 62 plate t5 with 100k on it and it doesn’t make the sound mine does. Appreciate there will be some change in engine sound under acceleration but it’s only in 5th.

Thanks Pete

It’s done 60k and has just been serviced by VW before it was delivered. The VW warranty is valid until Mar 2020. VW offer a 30 day no quibble exchange but not sure how true that would be. Seems odd that it only makes the noise upon acceleration. Thanks for your advice Pete.
The acceleration is a thing.

the shafts are pre-loaded with thrust washers and the like.

as the power is delivered from the clutch it will force the shafts one way, not rotation but lateral force (the direction the torque is coming from).

as the clutch is released and the power is now delivered from the wheels back into the gearbox, the shaft will move the other way (opposite lateral force).

so it may just be a worn thrust washer/bearing.

but VW being VW would normally just warrenty the job and swap out the box as its cheaper in the long-run than rebuilding a 60K gearbox as they have to warrenty it again for the next 24months.

keep us posted with what they say though. =]

its sounding like a gearbox issue,

possibly a bearing or gearwheel or syncro, idler shaft.

whats the van spec?

66 plate 102bhp t6 van (5peed)
miles on clock?

being a 66 plate it will be a warranty job anyway.

backround info on a 5spd: VW 5-speed Manual Gearbox 0A4 Workshop Manual - Pdf Free Online

backround info on a 6spd: VAG SSP 320 – 6-speed Manual Gearbox 0A5 - Pdf Free Online

think i would bet on the 5th gear syncro mesh/hub in the box . . . . . . but the chances are they will just RR swap out the box instead of stripping it down.

View attachment 39340

Thanks for this mate, very useful. I agree that there is a problem on the 5th speed, and as it’s under warranty and they have been very helpful so far (SMG VW Croydon) they will sort it.

Thanks everyone for your input. It goes in on Tuesday, I’ll update the outcome! Hopefully positive.....
Great forum by the way!

For noise under load its only going likely to be the input or output shaft bearings or teeth profile. Syncromesh assemblies only actually do anything when changing gear so you can rule those out. The idler shaft is for reverse gear so again you can rule that out.

I was looking for the VW SSP for this gearbox (02Z) the other day to see the internal layout but could only find the one for the o2T version. If the 02Z is the same then the 5th speed gears are not actually supported between two bearings and sit outboard of the bearing support assembly (this was a common way of cheaply redesigning a four speed box into a five speed unit) so the loading of the bearings is unique compared to the other sets of gears and could be the cause of the noise. The most likely cause however is the teeth. Just the slightest imperfection from the machining process or a slight mark caused during handling will have the gear singing away under load.

I suspect VW will drain the gearbox oil first to see if there are any signs of mechanical wear. As it's 5th gear, if it is the same arrangement as the 02T unit then replacing the gears and/or outer bearing support should be a simple task although as mentioned above, they are more likely to fit a new unit.

For noise under load its only going likely to be the input or output shaft bearings or teeth profile. Syncromesh assemblies only actually do anything when changing gear so you can rule those out. The idler shaft is for reverse gear so again you can rule that out.

I was looking for the VW SSP for this gearbox (02Z) the other day to see the internal layout but could only find the one for the o2T version. If the 02Z is the same then the 5th speed gears are not actually supported between two bearings and sit outboard of the bearing support assembly (this was a common way of cheaply redesigning a four speed box into a five speed unit) so the loading of the bearings is unique compared to the other sets of gears and could be the cause of the noise. The most likely cause however is the teeth. Just the slightest imperfection from the machining process or a slight mark caused during handling will have the gear singing away under load.

I suspect VW will drain the gearbox oil first to see if there are any signs of mechanical wear. As it's 5th gear, if it is the same arrangement as the 02T unit then replacing the gears and/or outer bearing support should be a simple task although as mentioned above, they are more likely to fit a new unit.

Thanks Mooncat for this, really helpful to know what the possible fault is and I’m a little bit forearmed for the VW response. I can’t believe they wouldn’t be able to hear the noise in 5th and be able to correct it, really hope they do swap the unit out for me.
Thanks Again.

When you go there, you need to ask the service advisor to ask the tech to come out on a short test drive to highlight the spec civic noise you are hearing.

That way before you leave the garage you know that they are looking at the same thing.....

If you don't do the test drive you run the risk of the van being returned as "no fault found"

The tech may take the van out and hear a myriad of noises that may indicate any number of issues, you need to highlight your specific concern.

When you go there, you need to ask the service advisor to ask the tech to come out on a short test drive to highlight the spec civic noise you are hearing.

That way before you leave the garage you know that they are looking at the same thing.....

If you don't do the test drive you run the risk of the van being returned as "no fault found"

The tech may take the van out and hear a myriad of noises that may indicate any number of issues, you need to highlight your specific concern.

Agreed, it’s the only noise that I can hear but would like them to know exactly what it is and when it starts to make the noise. Fingers crossed it all woes to plan and get a sorted. I’ll update the problem and work carried out once the van is back with me and sorted. Thanks dellmassive

Agreed, it’s the only noise that I can hear but would like them to know exactly what it is and when it starts to make the noise. Fingers crossed it all woes to plan and get a sorted. I’ll update the problem and work carried out once the van is back with me and sorted. Thanks dellmassive

Update on the van!
It was collected on Monday pm and taken back to the workshop, I’d highlighted the noise to the guy collecting it and he could hear it too.
VW in Croydon have done a fantastic job, they rebuilt the gearbox on gears 4 & 5 as there was play in the bearings causing the noise. It is perfect now, so much better to drive.....
Whilst it was in they also refitted a new drivers door hinge as it wasn’t shutting properly and didn’t line up that well. They even loaned me another t6 when they collected it and delivered mine back. Can’t knock the service at all.

A weekend of some serious cleaning and detailing begins!
Thanks everyone for all your input!

Great news, thanks for the update. =)

What was the cost of this? I've had what sounds like a similar issue. My 65 plate 5spd manual has started making a horrific noise in 5th

What was the cost of this? I've had what sounds like a similar issue. My 65 plate 5spd manual has started making a horrific noise in 5th
As the van was under warranty VW covered all the costs to repair the box. They said they had to rebuild gears 4&5 as they had wear in the bearings. This was done at 60k and annoyingly now and 71k it makes the same noise again! I was rather hoping the work carried out would last longer than 11k. I’m now out of warranty and stuck with getting it repaired again myself. Early investigation into rebuild costs are approximately £800 + vat. I love the van apart from this and would still Get another one.

Back