4x4 Crafter or...

RedUn

Kombi... work in progress
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Seriously considering swapping the T6 for a bigger van that we can do extended stays (months) in fully off grid as a family.

I've got a hankering for building something like an expedition vehicle but I do need to keep it sensible so it'll probably end up like a half way house.

My question is, for those with crafters, did you look at sprinters/iveco dailys before you settled on a crafter? And any advice really that comes along with that? I'm thinking lwb 4 motion.

The 4x4 daily looks pretty serious and is probably overkill, a 4 motion swamper style crafter is probably enough? Started looking at the 4x4 sprinters and the idea of a 3 litre diesel seems a good idea to me in a van that size?

Any other advice appreciated...?

Not seen that no, I'm not on there but maybe I'll have to join, their van looks awesome!

They had a lovely T6 conversion and now a Crafter so would be ideal to chat to about the swap from one to the other.

The Sprinter is changing over to a new AWD driveline and 4 Cyl engine very soon, if you want the OM642 6 cyl you will need to move fast.

I'm holding out for the Daily MWB 4x4 Van to be released here in Aus

But there is nothing wrong with the 4 Motion, its priced better than the Sprinter and looks better

Personally I wouldn’t touch a Sprinter, having used them professionally in the past, they are awful rot boxes, expensive to run & bloody uncomfortable. Apart from that…
The MAN is a rebadged Crafter & available with 4 mot & a proper 8 speed Bentley auto box. A top spec MAN will be around £9k cheaper than the equivalent Crafter. Guess which I’d choose?

The Sprinter is changing over to a new AWD driveline and 4 Cyl engine very soon, if you want the OM642 6 cyl you will need to move fast.

I'm holding out for the Daily MWB 4x4 Van to be released here in Aus

But there is nothing wrong with the 4 Motion, its priced better than the Sprinter and looks better
The daily 4x4 does look impressive, over here I'll probably have to do an extra part of the licence for the weight limit which isn't a huge problem I guess.

I thought the 4x4 sprinter looked a bit tougher than the crafter that's all, it looks more beefed up but I've genuinely no idea, maybe as salty has suggested the ideal solution could be a TGE :thumbsup:

Yeah there is some downsides with the Daily, on the MPT tires it is speed limited to 100 kph here, it’s not the end of the world for me, there are 2 GVM options 5.5 ton and 7 ton in single wheels.

it’ll be noisy and only really worth it if exploring rugged terrain, it won’t be comfortable as a Crafter, but diff locks all round and ground clearance is the big thing for me

We don’t have the option of TGE here, but it’s a clear winner if its cheaper than the VW Crafter, pretty much the same van.

the 4 motion Crafter/TGE with a lift kit and good tyres will get you Anywhere you want to go, and i think it’ll be more reliable than the Sprinter

We went down the 2WD route simply because we rarely ever buy new vehicles preferring a demo or pre reg’d and 4x4 Crafter/sprinters rarely come up.
So really I suppose it is a question of how much you are prepared to spend.
I didn’t even consider an Iveco.. ugly bu66ers!

Just be prepared, when you get your wallet out, it’ll cost far more than you planned for.

Must admit, we are loving our Crafter

80DB18BE-080C-45BB-81A1-B798A2C9D4E9.jpeg

We went down the 2WD route simply because we rarely ever buy new vehicles preferring a demo or pre reg’d and 4x4 Crafter/sprinters rarely come up.
So really I suppose it is a question of how much you are prepared to spend.
I didn’t even consider an Iveco.. ugly bu66ers!

Just be prepared, when you get your wallet out, it’ll cost far more than you planned for.

Must admit, we are View attachment 128549loving our Crafter
It was your build thread that planted the idea in my head! :rofl:

You will loose 10mm or is it 10cm? of floor/ceiling height with a 4x4. I personally wish I had a 4x4 but only because I tow and go off road to certain places in wales with my off road buggy so sort of need it but dont as my T6 fwd got everywhere last year. It really is down to you if you feel you will actually need or use it. Remember it will only add to the servicing and maintenance with all the added 4x4 systems but then it adds the added grip for when you need it. Tough one as I dont have it, just wanted it. lol

Following with interest.
Plan to retire in 5 years and build a van to travel in.
I like the crafter/sprinter size. Need to look at the MAN. won’t buy new, so the new vans now will be the right sort of age.

We just need a base to surf out of. Couple of SUPs on roof, toys under bed and two folding bikes. You get the idea.

Have you seen Greg Virgoe’s sprinter on YouTube? That’s our current plan, just won’t be as well finished. Lol

Yep, Greg is the man.
Very well researched and delivered.

I like the way that he applies his (considerable) professional knowledge of designing air conditioning systems to Campervans.
:thumbsup:

Yep, Greg is the man.
Very well researched and delivered.

I like the way that he applies his (considerable) professional knowledge of designing air conditioning systems to Campervans.
:thumbsup:
Agree. He does a very good instructional video. I have spent many an evening watching those whilst the wife watches shite lol

To confirm it is indeed 100mm/10cm floor height you lose on the 4x4.
I looked at the Iveco 4x4, Has anyone actually seen the price of it? Your soon change your mind..... Proper 4x4 system though

Back