4motion Spare Wheel Question

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
I have a T32 4Motion and have replaced the standard 17" devonports 215/60/17 with 19" Amaroks 255/45/19

This set up seems fairly common on here... and so I wondered if people change there spare wheel set up..?

I'm not sure whether a 19" steel wheel would fit under there.... any advice appreciated.

I have a T32 4Motion and have replaced the standard 17" devonports 215/60/17 with 19" Amaroks 255/45/19

This set up seems fairly common on here... and so I wondered if people change there spare wheel set up..?

I'm not sure whether a 19" steel wheel would fit under there.... any advice appreciated.
Many have lost theirs from Theft.. might sway your decision.

I've got z 4motion running 19" banded steels and still got the 27" spare, but my airtank for suspension is in spare wheel area so mine stays in the back which is s pain in the arse to be honest.
Dont think a 19" would fit in the carrier underneath

We are running 275/35/20’s and 380mm Revo brakes. Because of the brake size a 17” spare won’t work so we’ve modified the spare wheel carrier and have a full size spare wheel

We are running 275/35/20’s and 380mm Revo brakes. Because of the brake size a 17” spare won’t work so we’ve modified the spare wheel carrier and have a full size spare wheel
Also running 19” is the modification to the spare wheel carrier something you sell ?

Also running 19” is the modification to the spare wheel carrier something you sell ?

Yes, we have done it a few times are you local to us? You just need to bear in mind with a big tyre under there and your low, you need to jack the vehicle up to get the spare off, But works well and gives piece of mind.

Yes, we have done it a few times are you local to us? You just need to bear in mind with a big tyre under there and your low, you need to jack the vehicle up to get the spare off, But works well and gives piece of mind.
Is it something / attachment that you could supply and I could fix myself ? Or would I need to bring the van down to yourselves ?
I’m around 350 miles away

Surely if you punctured a front tyre, you'd swap a rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear? It's a faff, but how often, if at all, do you need to change a wheel on the side of the road?

Bearing in mind this is a spare wheel, it's only really going to be used in an emergency. The important thing for a 4motion is the circumference so fit a 215/65/17 tyre to your existing spare (it's probably a 17" steel) so that you have the same circumference as the 255/45/19s and you'll all set.

Response for the OP rather than those with after-market brakes.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but hoping @BognorMotors might be able to help me given your previous assistance above. I've fitted 245/65/17 BFGs to my T6.1 T32 DSG 4motion which gives a tyre diameter of 750mm. Do you know what diameter wheel would fit with your spare wheel carrier mod? Original wheel diameter is 690mm. Also do you know if it's ok to run a slightly smaller spare if 750mm won't fit and if so how much smaller is ok with 4motion? Thanks

Back