4motion T32 Tyres and Lowering Advice

sportline56

VIP Member
Hi I am looking for some advice about the 4 motion T32 and wheels and tyres tolerances allowed.

I have a T32 4motion LWB kombi in grey with B14 Bilstine also some Judd 311r 9.5 j on the front with 275/40/20 106 w and Judd 3111r 10.5 j on the rear with 275/40/20 106 w now my question is because the rear tyre has a little stretch on the width the height of the wheel and tyre is about 4mm difference to the front wheel I have run this set up for around a 1000 miles with no problems apart from a little rub on the nearside wheel over large bumps if driven over too fast.
Am I being over cautious with regards the 4 wheel drive set up as the circumference is slightly different as if its like a new set of tyres on the front with some part worn on the back has any body got any specification or advice to give me

Kind regards Tony

Are you sure there is any difference in actual "rolling" circumference as the tyres are exactly same size (assuming also same brand, type etc.)? The tyres have steel belt which really won't compress or stretch in normal conditions thus I would expect the "rolling" circumference still to be the same in the front and back.

What comes to the "slack" before 4motion kicking in there are quite a few different setups among VAG vehicles depending on engine, gearbox, etc. Even for T6 there are at least two variants. Some more about 4Motion principles in T6 ---> 4motion Abnormality And Subsequent Failure

Keep the tyres the same on a 4motion as has been said. Maybe go down to 265/40 all round to prevent the run, but you’ll have more of a stretch on the rear.

Hi thank you for the replies to me on this matter I have dropped the old 17 Devonports back on till I have sorted what to do next
All the tyres are the same make and age also forgot to say its DSG as well
I have been thinking that will possibly remove the rear wheels and replace with 9.5 j judds so will be the same as the front so if somebody wants 2 x immaculate nearly new 10.5 Judds satin black drop me a line

kind regards Tony

I’ve been running staggered wheels on 4 motions for over 40k miles across various vehicles with zero issues. As long as the tyres are the same size front and rear you will be fine.

HTH

Ps. Our present demo is 4motion, 9 on the front 10.5 on the rear with 275/35 all round. 10,000 miles in and perfect

I’ve been running staggered wheels on 4 motions for over 40k miles across various vehicles with zero issues. As long as the tyres are the same size front and rear you will be fine.

HTH

Ps. Our present demo is 4motion, 9 on the front 10.5 on the rear with 275/35 all round. 10,000 miles in and perfect
Hi I have a 4motion and want to get 20s can I still use the original spare in an emergency

Just to say I have removed the Judd 20 inch 311r 10.5 from the rear and now have the same Judd 311r 9.5 as the front so all the 4 wheels are the same now

I have listed the 2 x 10.5 Judd 311r in the for sale area of this site

I'm in need of some advice regarding lowering a T32 4motion.

I'm planning on fitting Amarok 19" alloys with 255/55/r19 tyres or thereabouts....

I'm trying to achieve the best of both worlds, well a best compromise....

I'll be doing a lot of miles on motorways and country roads, but when i reach my destination i'll be driving on muddy fields and dirt tracks... not what i would consider rough off-road terrain, but potentially a little tricky or sticky....

What suspension upgrade should i be considering ... I thought B14's, but I don't want to go too low where i lose too much 'off road' capability, but I am also looking for a decent ride on tarmac... am i asking for too much..!

Any advice appreciated.

I run a LWB T32 4motion on B14's you can adjust the ride height by up to 70mm ,i'm running 20's and have no issue's at all.
I think if your going to run 19's with a 45 profile with a reasonable compromise on how low you set the suspension ,you should be in a good all round situation. Only my opinion i'm sure others may differ ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply...

It gives me some confidence of striking a compromise on comfort yet retaining some reasonable off road capability...!

I suspect the B14's i will have set as high as they go, so shouldn't drop the ride height too much...

Thanks for the reply...

It gives me some confidence of striking a compromise on comfort yet retaining some reasonable off road capability...!

I suspect the B14's i will have set as high as they go, so shouldn't drop the ride height too much...
At the end of the day you have plenty of travel to play with, but for your described usage I wouldn't go any bigger than 19" . If you purchase a set of Amorak's you will need to change the tyres to a 45 profile to keep as near to the rolling circumference as standard set up.

B14s at full height = 40mm (ish) drop from standard, going with any oversize wheel/tyre setup will add back to this so you wont be losing to much ride height but you will be a bit down from standard, i would guess at least a inch prob more ?

Thanks for the info... B14's it is then.

I hadn't thought about the need to change the profile from 55 to 45....

I thought i read somewhere that dimension will only affect the speedometer feedback.. making it match more closely rather than the usual 3-5% error.

So thought, maybe not too critical... but this could be an oversight on my part...!

Should i be considering any other factors that the 55 profile would affect on the 19's... such as gearing, mpg, or any kind of potential damage / excessive wear...

Thanks

B14's will work nicely for you - We run a 4 motion demo with this set up if you are local and want to try ity. With the B14s you can also level out the van.

On 19's I would suggest 275/40/19 - This will be a sportier set up, and perfect size for 19 and won't effect speedo etc.

On a T32 the highest setting with B14's, is nearer 50mm off standard, so my only concern would be your off road capability, and ground clearance.

Thanks, appreciate the reply and offer....

Yes, i'm going to have to trade off some ground clearance for better road handling... that's for sure... but the terrain isn't too rough, so 50mm drop should be fine...

Tyre sizes are beginning to baffle me though as to the pro's and cons.... with regards to the 275/40/19 would i need spacers....?

Thanks, appreciate the reply and offer....

Yes, i'm going to have to trade off some ground clearance for better road handling... that's for sure... but the terrain isn't too rough, so 50mm drop should be fine...

Tyre sizes are beginning to baffle me though as to the pro's and cons.... with regards to the 275/40/19 would i need spacers....?
All depends on the ET of the wheels ,and wether you go staggered !
Try the on-line wheel fitment , it lets you play around with different scenario's.

As above shouldn’t do. Being a four motion you need to keep tyres front and back the same size.

As above shouldn’t do. Being a four motion you need to keep tyres front and back the same size.
Well spotted Oli, didn't see his van was also 4motion , Avoid a staggered set up ! I've kept my wheels and tyres all the same ,helps with moving wheels to even out tyre wear too.

Back