4motion difflock staying on

duffersj

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi my difflock has started coming on and won't go off. I had the Haldex unit replaced a couple of years ago. Anyone else had a problem with this ?
It's booked in to norwich vw but not until the 17th Nov. Any advice please

I had the opposite problem where it wouldn’t go on and had to replace the solenoid. They are a bit crap and get wet and fail with time, particularly if they aren’t used much.

Bit of an odd one for you because the way the solenoids work is that the “off” one is active all the time (when the van is running) but the “on” one should only be active when the button is pressed (so fail safe diff lock is off I think, but could be wrong). My van is a T5.1 so maybe things are different on T6s, but unlikely.

If you want to check them they are under the front passenger seat (outside the van, in front of the fuel tank). If I remember there is a blue and green pipe running to the lock and you can just pull these off and see if the vacuum is coming down the correct one at the correct time.

It might at least point at whether it is an electrical fault or a vacuum fault if the solenoids are behaving correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
About 90% sure that the release pipe is green and the engage one is blue. Hopefully you just end up needing a new disengage solenoid, although if one has failed you may prefer to change them both at the same time while under there.

Back