[Guide] 4M Haldex Pump Screen Cleaning

I still haven’t gotten around to doing this, I’ve decided to attempt it this weekend.
I can see the drain plug where would I refill from??

Can't help on the filling point, but if you take out the gauze to clean it I believe it needs a new O ring?

Edit - just noticed the O ring is already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Filling

– Place drip tray for workshop hoist - VAS 6208- under final drive.
– Remove oil filler plug -1-
1612533761946.png
– Screw adapter - 6291/1- -A- in to stop.
– Engage elbow -B- in adapter -A-.
– Using filling device - VAS 6291 A- , add enough oil so that it runs out between the adapter of the filling device and the final drive housing.
– Remove filling device and adapter; excess oil may still run out.
Oil level is correct when all-wheel drive coupling is filled to lower edge of filler hole.

Filling

– Place drip tray for workshop hoist - VAS 6208- under final drive.
– Remove oil filler plug -1-
View attachment 101975
– Screw adapter - 6291/1- -A- in to stop.
– Engage elbow -B- in adapter -A-.
– Using filling device - VAS 6291 A- , add enough oil so that it runs out between the adapter of the filling device and the final drive housing.
– Remove filling device and adapter; excess oil may still run out.
Oil level is correct when all-wheel drive coupling is filled to lower edge of filler hole.
I genuinely can’t work out where this is at the rear!?

Use the link provided by @mmi earlier in the thread - also here - and scroll down until you see 'Oil Change Guide' in bold text. There's a picture which has the fill and drain clearly identified on it. I'm sure you already know this......make sure you can remove the fill plug before you even touch the drain plug or slacken off the motor!

Just did my oil change and screen clean yesterday - At 29K miles my screen was somewhere between the photo from @Fluff34567 and that of @mmi. It definitely needed cleaning.....and sorry, forgot to take a photo!
I'll be doing future Haldex services at 20K miles or two years (which ever comes first) from now on.

Some top tips for those looking to do it themselves:
- Buy the G055175A2 oil as you're going to need the 1 litre bottle. (G060175A2 is 850ml so not enough for the T6 Haldex V variant)
- The T30 torx bolt for the top motor bolt is quite tight to get to. If you have the traditional L shaped Torx key you will definitely be able to remove it (a T bar type will probably foul)
- To remove the motor you need to pull the wires through the conduit. I unbolted the module (Two x T30 torx) to provide the extra slack although if you're flexible you might be able to disconnect the plug.
- If you have an airline, once the oil has stopped dripping from the drain, blow air into the oil fill port. You will now get thick drops of very contaminated oil dripping out.
- Once the screen has been cleaned, motor and drain plug refitted (and module if you unbolted it), you'll get about 850ml of oil into the Haldex unit. I used a large syringe with 6mm freeline kart fuel pipe on the end for this.
- If you have VCDS, start the engine, go into Module 22, select 'Basic Setting - 04' and from the drop down select the pump motor option and get it running. After a few seconds you'll hear the pump running and then it will speed up (you don't need to get anywhere near the pump to hear it), it will stop, then do about three quick runs and then the VCDS will tell you the pump run was successful. You should be able to get another 100ml of oil into the Haldex unit now. If you don't have VCDS you could probably go for a drive when Boris lets you back out and when you get back add the extra oil.
Just found out about the 850 ml not being enough...the hard way

Back