3rd Key

Discussion in 'General VW T6 Chat' started by Skyliner33, 14 Jul 2019 at 16:01.

1. Skyliner33

Skyliner33 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

when I bought my van I was given 3 keys.
    2 of them are the remote key fobs that work as expected.

I also received a ‘normal’ key. Non folding no big fob. What is the point of this key? If I open the door with this key the alarm goes off.

2. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    A fresh new hard copy of the key to get a blank key blade cut....

It will also get you into the van.

The other keys have an imob chip and RF part for the alarm and immobiliser..... but the key blades can be replaced.

Skyliner33 likes this.
  3. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    Often referred to as a 'surf key' you can get them wet and they still work unlike the flip fobs

Skyliner33 and Dellmassive like this.
  4. mmi

mmi Senior Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Perhaps just a VW/dealer's lapse. I happened to select the 4 remote key fob option so didn't get the "surf key" - perhaps I got it right just by accident though I was expecting to get also the "surf key".
    When the day comes that neither of your remotes work any more there possibly is a way to code the alarm differently ---> Bcu Central Electrics Module 09 Byte Screen Shots (haven't tried - yet :sneaky:)

5. Salty Spuds

Salty Spuds Senior Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Guru

It’s very easy to lock your keys in the van, as we’ve found out. So we had a couple of surf keys cut at timpsons. As you say, they set the alarm off as soon as you unlock the door as they don’t have the transponder in them. But they get you back in the van.

Dellmassive likes this.
  6. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    My surf key has a transponder in it, alarm will go off when unlocking but putting key into ignition so the immobiliser turns off resets the alarm