T6.1 3D-Printed Cup-Holders

That's pretty amazing! I'm trying add some rubber padding to the cup holders, my bottles rattle so much when I use them haha. It'd be amazing if someone can make some sort of rubber sleeves to also stop the lateral movement rattles

That's pretty amazing! I'm trying add some rubber padding to the cup holders, my bottles rattle so much when I use them haha. It'd be amazing if someone can make some sort of rubber sleeves to also stop the lateral movement rattles
Rubber bands around your bottle?

• Haha
Reactions: dj_
Fancy selling some? Looks fantastic!
Thanks. I'll consider it. It takes around 24 hours on the printer, and I'd need to check on the durability of the PLA material under the heat from a coffee cup etc.

Also I'd need to refine the design a bit, as I had to do a bit of sanding for the two parts to slide together.

Watch this space

Thanks. I'll consider it. It takes around 24 hours on the printer, and I'd need to check on the durability of the PLA material under the heat from a coffee cup etc.

Also I'd need to refine the design a bit, as I had to do a bit of sanding for the two parts to slide together.

Watch this space
I think they'd need to be petg or abs, I had some pla prints warp/melt in the recent heatwave..... nice design by the way.

3D Innovations do something similar I believe - About £40

They look great, good finish and quality, and I like the way they fit, but they don't have a T6.1 version (yet?). As far as I can tell the cup holders are PLA and the clip part is ABS. They are £36 + P&P for the standard versions. If 3D Innovations are selling them for that price, I can't/don't want to compete.

However I may be persuaded to make a few for anyone who can't wait for 3DI to catch up, how many would be interested?

I think they'd need to be petg or abs, I had some pla prints warp/melt in the recent heatwave..... nice design by the way.
Thanks for the feedback and advice.

I tried pouring lots of boiling (straight from the kettle) water on mine, and it softens a little, but didn't deform until I applied some force. I guess a little spilled coffee/tea wouldn't hurt it. It looks like 3D innovations make theirs from PLA too.

On another note, I made lots of other PLA parts for the van, and they all endured the hot weather without any issues.

Do you live somewhere hotter than the UK? :)

What was the application for the parts you had trouble with?

I would be interested in yours- I think it looks great. What sort of price / time are you thinking?

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

I tried pouring lots of boiling (straight from the kettle) water on mine, and it softens a little, but didn't deform until I applied some force. I guess a little spilled coffee/tea wouldn't hurt it. It looks like 3D innovations make theirs from PLA too.

On another note, I made lots of other PLA parts for the van, and they all endured the hot weather without any issues.

Do you live somewhere hotter than the UK? :)

What was the application for the parts you had trouble with?
Hi Jay, I've had 2 things deform in that previous heat wave we had. First was the kindle holder I designed (Eryone Pla) and the second was a headrest coat hanger (Eryone Pla) I measured in the car at it was 53.8' so was pretty hot. What I think caused them to deform though was that they were understress during the heat as I left the kindle in the holder and I had coats on the hooks. I reprinted the kindle holder during the hot spell and redid the test and it stayed true...

Your cup holder design looks great and very strong, great work! I take it that wasnt done in Tinkercad like all my simple designs..

Hi Jay, I've had 2 things deform in that previous heat wave we had. First was the kindle holder I designed (Eryone Pla) and the second was a headrest coat hanger (Eryone Pla) I measured in the car at it was 53.8' so was pretty hot. What I think caused them to deform though was that they were understress during the heat as I left the kindle in the holder and I had coats on the hooks. I reprinted the kindle holder during the hot spell and redid the test and it stayed true...

Your cup holder design looks great and very strong, great work! I take it that wasnt done in Tinkercad like all my simple designs..
Thanks! Fusion 360 (Personal). It's for hobbyists, and as far as I can see allows the user to sell a small amount of products from the design (up to $1000/year)

I would be interested in yours- I think it looks great. What sort of price / time are you thinking?
Thanks! I'm just trying to work out if PLA is suitable, as printing with ABS is a lot more hassle. If it is, I could get one posted within a few days.

I would need to buy PLA, what colour do you want?

Then it takes 24 hours to print.

Price would be same as 3DI, £36 + £5 P&P

I've improved the design to make the top a bit cleaner, add the upper bezels and make the main body a one piece print, with a small wedge sliding in behind to keep things sturdy. I think the pen pocket looks better like this too. Also this design uses a bit less PLA (about 250g). As before, this will take a cup 80mm diameter, and the pockets are 80mm deep.

2021-08-20 09.51.43.jpg
wedge.jpg

These are now in the FOR SALE section if anybody wants one.

Back