3d Modelling For Signage Wrap

Built-In

Hi there,

We've just purchased a 2018 Transporter T6 and are wanting to wrap it with a somewhat complicated design (it has geometric triangles that need to stay in perfect shape). When designed as a 2D element and printed, the shape of the van causes all our triangles to warp as they go from the back around to the side.

I was wondering whether anyone knows of any highly accurate digital 3D models available for purchase so that my graphic designer can design the wrap to suit and then "unpeel" the wrap to give us the shapes required for printing. We're expecting it to look odd when printed (i.e. strangely shaped triangles), but once on the vehicle, it'll all look correct.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim

Surely a professional vinyl wrap company would have that as part of There CAD software package?

Have you tried any of these sort of places?

Just a random from a Google search below..

UK Vehicle Wrapping & Graphics - Cars, Vans, Trucks and more

Also the rear 3/4 of the van is basically exactly the same as a T5 so if your guys have a T5 3d model....then your almost there?

Unfortunately it’s not common practice in New Zealand to do a 3D model prior to printing the vinyl. They do it all in 2D which is fine if it’s a simple design or a perfect box-shaped vehicle (i.e. perfectly vertical with perfect right angles). To use a signwriter that takes the 3D element into account will cost over 3x the amount of a normal wrap so we’re left needing to design it ourselves

The problem is that the wrap material is heated to stretch around the awkward parts of the van which then alters the line up point of the next piece to be applied. Fortunately the T6 is not bad to do even when using 2D layout files which if you need I can forward on to you . It's usually a case of compromise on both design & fitting.

hope 2.jpg

hope 1.jpg

Back