2x single seat configuration in back of Kombi

Richie_duckdive

VIP Member
Hi All, just coming up to two years of having our latest van and I'm coming to the conclusion I'd like to switch out the full width 3 person factory Kombi seat with 2 x single rear seats.

Having had an initial search am I correct thinking I need to get a left and right specific single rear seat?

The plan is to make it easier to then access the rear of the van as I want to switch out the excellent Ovano solution with this which is more in keeping with our needs:
Lightweight Ply Kombi Pod — Van Furniture

Thanks in advance,

Richie

Richie,

You have a number of options…

Caravelle seats which fit on sliding rails. These swivel, have arm rests, integral belts and I think recline. ££££

Two middle shuttle seats which will need 4 extra floor brackets and I think use the existing brackets/locations. These have integral belts. There would be space down the middle and a gap between the seat and van side. £££

Use the two outer seats of a shuttle 1+1+1. These would need 8 new floor brackets and your existing 4 brackets would be redundant. They use your existing seatbelts. You do have the option of keeping/using the middle seat or sell it on (always in demand) £££

Ian

Looked at the rear units in your link and realised to use as a bed you need the seats to lay flat too. The 1+1+1 seats lay flat - not sure about the caravelle seats though these can be swivelled around / reclined to use as the bed extension.

The 1+1+1 would also give the option of having the o/s and middle seat so you have a bit of space by the slider??

Richie,

You have a number of options…

Caravelle seats which fit on sliding rails. These swivel, have arm rests, integral belts and I think recline. ££££

Two middle shuttle seats which will need 4 extra floor brackets and I think use the existing brackets/locations. These have integral belts. There would be space down the middle and a gap between the seat and van side. £££

Use the two outer seats of a shuttle 1+1+1. These would need 8 new floor brackets and your existing 4 brackets would be redundant. They use your existing seatbelts. You do have the option of keeping/using the middle seat or sell it on (always in demand) £££

Ian
Thanks you for the detail here and very glad I asked.

Any additional tips on sourcing seats would be amazing.

Thanks again,

Richie

Hi, I have got the 2 two outersingles from a 1+1+1, I have only put one in so far. My back didn't like lifting out the 2 seater in my previous van, the singles are much easier to remove
Got them from eBay, removed from a disability van.
View attachment 173626
Thanks for sharing. That looks excactly what I’m thinking. Did you have to modify the old double Floor mounts?

Thanks for sharing. That looks excactly what I’m thinking. Did you have to modify the old double Floor mounts?
Mine is a panel van so it was a virgin floor, if you have a double now you will need to move 2 (I think) of the mounts, it’s easy to see when the rubber floor is out B309271C-D5ED-4C7E-879B-9B1C25A712C0.jpeg

Mine is a panel van so it was a virgin floor, if you have a double now you will need to move 2 (I think) of the mounts, it’s easy to see when the rubber floor is out View attachment 173746
Sorry slightly different option/problem I have a panel van we were looking to convert into camper but decided to make it a kombi slash day van. Did you fitted the seat belts (top mount) to the c pillar?? If so how? TIA

Sorry slightly different option/problem I have a panel van we were looking to convert into camper but decided to make it a kombi slash day van. Did you fitted the seat belts (top mount) to the c pillar?? If so how? TIA
There’s a reinforcement plate that goes inside the c pillar, plenty of info on here how to do that with measurements- have a search

There’s a reinforcement plate that goes inside the c pillar, plenty of info on here how to do that with measurements- have a search
As @jimc91 says, just get the genuine reinforcing plates, lots of info on here. It’s quite simple once you see how to fit them. On this van my passenger side already had one fitted. The lower mount bolts into where your lashing point is now

71B543E0-5826-401B-81D6-F828C6713013.jpeg

I have this exact setup, and I'm ripping it out as soon as I can find the time to fit the california rails/bed I have in the garage!

No idea what it's worth but I'll do some research and let you know, if you're interested.

I have:
2x single outer seats (unfortunately they don't match, left is simora, right it's black leatherette, but expect you'd want to skin them to match your fonts anyway)
2x seat belts fitted to the C pillars (you may already have these as I expect they're the same for the triple
12x kombi floor brackets (you'd only need 8 as the middle 4 that you'll have for tbe triple are the same)

This is the only pic I've got to hand, but gives you an idea:
IMG_5789 (1).jpeg

This would allow you to source a single middle from a 1+1+1 shuttle with the integral belt if you needed on occasion.

I'm based in Chandler's Ford, SO53.

Back