275/40/20 tyres on 8.5J wheel?

Thanks for everyone's input. Vredestein Quatrac Pro (my personal favourite) ordered in 245/45/20 103 and being fitted on Friday.

I’m still waiting for a reply from my dealer on the tyre difference for 4Motion, albeit only a small one, but I’ve asked the question all the same. Be handy for us all to know. For future reference as we’ve always been led to believe to run 100% the same.

ETRTO says that a 275 is too wide for an 8.5” rim in any of the 40/35 profiles. However it’s has been extensively used, and by some of the biggest names in the industry without failure or problme (not saying it’s right) and can look a bit bulged.
255 is considered the maximum size - but very uncatered for.

We use a 265 on this width and it works very well and this is where weight ratings and 4motion and lack of tyre sizes come into play, so best fit comes and common sense prevail. We will continue to offer this size until something new appears. When comparing a 265/40 on an 8.5” width against a 275/35 on a 9” the sidewalls have the same look - if that makes sense - no excess bulging at all - I feel the 265 is just only just outside of the parameters, but works perfectly.

Vans are a massive market now and it’s a shame that the tyre manufacturers don’t listen up and start making more weight rated tyres available in other sizes.

We will be looking for new sizes and weigh ratings at they appear and I’m sure all the other ‘sensible’ wheel suppliers will l, and update if we hear anything to help.

Last edited:
I’m still waiting for a reply from my dealer on the tyre difference for 4Motion, albeit only a small one, but I’ve asked the question all the same. Be handy for us all to know. For future reference as we’ve always been led to believe to run 100% the same.
Oli, I discovered that the rears were 8.5j too so I'm going 245/45/20 all the way round. I'm happy to compromise the look slightly, safe in the knowledge that I won't upset the 4motion and will have a perfectly matched tyre and wheel width combination. Only drawback remains is that they are nearly 8% oversize but that's exactly what I have now anyway with the 275/40/20 so no change really.

Last edited:
Tyres were fitted a day early (yesterday). My oh my I should have done this weeks ago, much improved, I can't believe by how much. The steering feels more precise, going over bumps feels more controlled and the whole thing just feels more refined. To recap, I have changed from 275/40/20 nasty £60 per corner tyres (that still had 5mm of tread on them) to 245/45/20 premium all season tyres keeping the 8.5J wheels.

Three things have changed, 30mm narrower tyre (the sidewall height of a 275/40 is within 1mm of a 245/45 so effectively the same), move from very cheap to premium tyres and changing to the ideal width tyre for the fitted wheel. Which of these things has made the greatest difference I wonder? For the improvement in steering feel, I am convinced that is is having the correct width tyre on the wheel. The previously fitted oversize tyre forces the sidewalls outwards and distorts them; I am certain this affects the steering feel and adds a level of 'bounce' into the tyre because the sidewall is compromised, which is unpleasant when driving.

Early days and only my subjective opinion. But the more I think about it, the commonplace practice of fitting 275 or 265 width tyres onto 8.5J wide wheels may well be more of a compromise than I first thought.

Last edited:
100% agree. I can’t believe people can’t feel how poor the feed back is on overwide tyres.
Glad you’re chuffed :thumbsup:

Hi mate just a question not sure if you know but I've just ordered 20s the same offset as you but gone with 255,40 on front only got eibach 30mm lowering springs fitted do you think I will have an arch rub problem cheers paul

Hi mate just a question not sure if you know but I've just ordered 20s the same offset as you but gone with 255,40 on front only got eibach 30mm lowering springs fitted do you think I will have an arch rub problem cheers paul
I'm no expert but think you will be fine. I'm 40mm lowered which is 10mm more and your tyres are 8mm less sidewall height than mine. So you should have plenty of room as mine don't rub ever.

Are these tyres wearing evenly? 5% speedo error ?
Yes they are wearing very evenly, in fact hardly seem to be wearing at all. They are slightly oversize compared to the standard VW sizes. I have found that the slight speedo under read error that they introduce is simply offset by the fact that with standard size tyres the speedo is designed to over read. I believe that my speedo is now more accurate than it was with a standard size wheel and tyre.

Back