25 years since Thrust SSC set a new land speed record!

LondonLad

T6 Guru
Cannot believe it has been 25 years since Thrust SSC broke the sound barrier and set a new land speed record which remains unbroken!
My father in law recently passed away and one of his prized possessions was this titanium sheet from the car…just thought it interesting to share..

Notice the burn marks from the jet engine exhaust!

2A1EF7C8-60E1-46EA-9676-47DC6055413A.jpeg

1D9910DA-BE36-47A9-9A73-55D3F3A5F157.jpeg

Do you think it's likely we will see another attempt? I'd love to, just can't see it happening anytime soon. We don't do things to prove we can any more and push the barriers of what's possible, not unless there's a profit to be turned.

Do you think it's likely we will see another attempt? I'd love to, just can't see it happening anytime soon. We don't do things to prove we can any more and push the barriers of what's possible, not unless there's a profit to be turned.
Not sure how long until someone tries again. The more I read about Thrust SSC the more amazed I am at what they achieved, so little money, so little time. The world has changed tho so don’t think it’s possible to do it the way they did now…big money needed and many plans have come unstuck.

Cannot believe it has been 25 years since Thrust SSC broke the sound barrier and set a new land speed record which remains unbroken!
My father in law recently passed away and one of his prized possessions was this titanium sheet from the car…just thought it interesting to share..

View attachment 171161

View attachment 171162
What a momento to have. Secure the provenance while you can to ensure future generations of your family can rely on this heirloom

View attachment 171161

View attachment 171162
Get it framed and on the wall, shame to hide it away, a big part of history. Love stuff like that.

Artemis 1 might work better going horizontal with some wheels than it does going vertical

Emailed Richard Noble about the panel and he replied with some further info and said it was “a very valuable asset”.
Hard to put a price on it but think the panels must be pretty rare.

Reactions: JOG
If anyone is looking for tyre / alloy inspiration here is a wheel from Thrust SSC that I found in the cupboard under the stairs! o_O:)
View attachment 208693
From doing some research it seems as if this was a wheel with tyre built for use in the U.K. / on hard surfaces and the wheels for running in the desert had no tyres as in was metal on desert.

The van might not be able to achieve over 700mph but this bit of chassis from ThrustSSC certainly could! ;)
If anyone is interested in owning some ThrustSSC items I might be looking at selling some.
40FFCD28-9273-46A2-BDC0-90485C19B99B.jpeg

From doing some research it seems as if this was a wheel with tyre built for use in the U.K. / on hard surfaces and the wheels for running in the desert had no tyres as in was metal on desert
Yep the rotational speed at the record run speeds would have thrown any tyre off the hub so they were metal wheels.

I was lucky enough to be involved with a non public event involving the car after the run. At the time of the record run I remember some comments that they were not sure the vehicle could have done further runs due to to fatigue but thought it looked fine. However being close enough to touch it you could see it had been to hell and back mechanical stress wise with fatiguing everywhere.

Yep the rotational speed at the record run speeds would have thrown any tyre off the hub so they were metal wheels.

I was lucky enough to be involved with a non public event involving the car after the run. At the time of the record run I remember some comments that they were not sure the vehicle could have done further runs due to to fatigue but thought it looked fine. However being close enough to touch it you could see it had been to hell and back mechanical stress wise with fatiguing everywhere.
Interesting to hear - I heard from someone else involved that the desert in Jordan was bumpy and did quite a lot of damage to the car.

Back