240v Inverter vs Warranty.

vincethomas

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I need 240v at the back of the Van but the Van is still over a 1 year on warranty. Can that void warranty? Does it have to be done by VW or approved garage?

There are ways of getting 240v in your van without connecting to the vehicle at all.
How much power (Watts) do you want to draw, and for how long ?

Pete

Have a read of the VW Warranty agreement and if it’s not clear contact VW Customer Services. Once you have the VW reply in an email then keep it in case it’s needed.

There are ways of getting 240v in your van without connecting to the vehicle at all.
How much power (Watts) do you want to draw, and for how long ?

Pete
2 key cutting machines, soldering station, battery support unit to support customer cars, wifi router, so quite a lot. I did look on power stations but last thing I want to run out of power somewhere and not be able to do the job.

Have a read of the VW Warranty agreement and if it’s not clear contact VW Customer Services. Once you have the VW reply in an email then keep it in case it’s needed.
I did and quite unclear. I tried to contact them by phone but got directed to people that take bookings only and have no clue about cars. Waiting for contact from local VW van centre

no it wont void the warranty if its done properly.

( I've always had inverters and leisure battery systems and its never been questioned about warranty)

as above add up the watts of the kit you want to run. . . ie - 1000w

then multiply by the amount of time you plan on using them . . . ie - 2hrs

then factor in recharge time . . . . . ie - engine running time.

++++++++++++++++

going on above you will need 2kWh battery capacity (about 200ah lithium )

that means:

look at 100-250ah of lithium battery, - Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

look at a 1000w-2000w inverter, - [Guide] 12v/240v Power Inverters -- How I Done It --

look at a 20A-50A DC-DC charger, - [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

++++++++++++++

cheat sheet ( based on rough details above ) :

get this inverter - https://amzn.to/3GacSO2

1672594515644.png

get this dc-dc charger: - https://amzn.to/3vvS0vO

1672594561388.png

get this lithium battery: Roamer

1672594600843.png

go here for cable and fuse kit: - Auto & Marine Electrical Components & Accessories | 12 Volt Planet

1672594795401.png

Last edited:
2 key cutting machines, soldering station, battery support unit to support customer cars, wifi router, so quite a lot. I did look on power stations but last thing I want to run out of power somewhere and not be able to do the job.
Portable Power Stations are great - i love then.

but the issue will always be how to recharge them fast , when mobile,

as all of them will rely on a 8A slow charge from the vans 12v system. - which takes hours maybe over 24hrs depending on the Wh of the pack,

all fast charges will rely on 240v and normally 600-1200W - so to fast charge you will need either EHU or a mains inverter --> so back to square #1 if mobile in a van.

more on them here:

Would it matter as I've sent work vans, with inv
Apologies for this message. It didn't make sense as I was sorting the dog out and didn't know it had been sent.
What I meant was, I've seen work vans kitted out with inverters and lights and they would probably be lease vans. My work vans have always been ok though.

Portable Power Stations are great - i love then.

but the issue will always be how to recharge them fast , when mobile,

as all of them will rely on a 8A slow charge from the vans 12v system. - which takes hours maybe over 24hrs depending on the Wh of the pack,

all fast charges will rely on 240v and normally 600-1200W - so to fast charge you will need either EHU or a mains inverter --> so back to square #1 if mobile in a van.

more on them here:

I was looking on them as well and was thinking about that + solar panel on the roof . Eco Flow says that Solar panels can recharge the 2000W pack in 2h.

To charge in 2hrs you would need a stupidly large solar array and live in the Nevada desert.....

That's just not going to happen in the UK.

To charge in 2hrs you would need a stupidly large solar array and live in the Nevada desert.....

That's just not going to happen in the UK.
Do u recon that Eco Flow pro would be enough to power wifi router like 8h a day + laptop+ key cutting equipment but that is like 5 minutes max per key and maybe 3-4 times a day as programming equipment works off vehicle battery and I am thinking using a noco jump pack to support car battery.

Yes it will run all that....

A noco jump pack is only for jump starting a flat battery.

It's the recharge you need to consider.... Recharge when driving is limited to 8A ( or 8Ah)... So how long is you drive daily?

If the drive is too short you can always take it out and recharge at home.

When that get to Aggy you can go for the leisure battery, inverter and DC charger setup.

Yes it will run all that....

A noco jump pack is only for jump starting a flat battery.

It's the recharge you need to consider.... Recharge when driving is limited to 8A ( or 8Ah)... So how long is you drive daily?

If the drive is too short you can always take it out and recharge at home.

When that get to Aggy you can go for the leisure battery, inverter and DC charger setup.
Well I have 50A Battery support unit for flash programming but I am afraid that will drain this battery pack extremely quick.
It depends how for the jobs are really. From 2h to 4-5h. I do not have issue to reacharge the station when I am back home as long as it will last 8h during the day.

Back