235/50/18 vs 245/45/18 vs 255/45/18

Just wondering if anyone runs 245/50 r18's on 18" x 8j wheels. I know @chriscroft has previously posted about 1 size up tyres on 17" wheels, whereby the overall radius is about 12mm larger than normal.

245/50 r18 gives a 6mm radial increase, so almost like half a size up. Seems to be a few 103+ load rated tyres available too.

Last edited:
Just having a little play on the iPad (very rough mocks ups) to help decide on what wheels to get...

I'm thinking the A18" WOLFRACE EUROSPORT AD5 ALLOY WHEELS? Like the sport lines also in gloss black, but they come with polished lip, thinking that will get smashed up in now time!

What ya all think?

before.jpg

sportline.jpg

wolf.jpg

plenty of people run summer tyres all year round,
I prefer to run All-seasons; there is no real down side in summer, especially for a van; but come ice/snow/stood water/ or driving off the pavement etc, they are so much better; also they last upto 3 times longer in terms of milage.
Tyre Bridgestone 255/45 R18 103Y XL, FSL, 3PMSF | Weather Control A005 | TyreLeader.co.uk
View attachment 38798

This tyre gets really good reviews if you google it, Worth thinking about!

@chriscroft as you seem to be the tire man. Still yet to order rims/tires yet! Thinking of sticking with 18x8J, so I have options for tire sizes in the future. Struggling to find many A/S tires in 255/45/18 seems more in 235/50/18 and in 101 load rating.

I have a T28 and load rating under the bonnet is 1550kg per axle so only 775kg.

Spent endless time reading reviews on here! Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Reviews. Thinking GOODYEAR VECTOR 4SEASONS G2 in 235/50/18. Going mad trying to decide on the right combo! Want to order today/tomorrow, so your advice would be appreciated.

Summary!
  • 235/50 on 8 inch rim be too square and not offer much rim protection?
  • Would you run AS 235/50/18 or summer 255/45/18 if you had a choice?
  • What comfort and less road noise than image!

I would always run A/S end off, and not summers on my van for loads of reasons.

If you go down the A/S route:
I think you are in a really good position choosing between the Bridgestones & Goodyears.
Both around us £150/corner; both first class tyres with really good performance characteristics re noise/wet braking/fuel.
If snow/ice performance was very important to me the narrower tyre may win over.
Both tyres can do 35k+ miles with 3mm of tread still left. = very good value imo
If comfort was the most important the wider tyre with a higher max load rating may win over, as you could run it at a lower pressure, it will be quieter and more comfortable; but maybe drink a bit more fuel.
Either config would need spacers imo, if your wheels have a similar ET Off-set to a standard VW T6 wheel

Just as an odd ball, I've just fitted these on 18 x 7.5J. Fractionally oversized (6mm) but if comfort is a priority, worth considering perhaps. I be very surprised if they lasted 35k but then they're half the money. I've seen a few magazine reviews but they seem to be a budget tyre that can hold there own with some of the premium brands. Certainly thoroughly impressed with the Maxxis Vansmart Snows that I use in winter. So will see how these fair...

20190403_183257.jpg

I would always run A/S end off, and not summers on my van for loads of reasons.

If you go down the A/S route:
I think you are in a really good position choosing between the Bridgestones & Goodyears.
Both around us £150/corner; both first class tyres with really good performance characteristics re noise/wet braking/fuel.
If snow/ice performance was very important to me the narrower tyre may win over.
Both tyres can do 35k+ miles with 3mm of tread still left. = very good value imo
If comfort was the most important the wider tyre with a higher max load rating may win over, as you could run it at a lower pressure, it will be quieter and more comfortable; but maybe drink a bit more fuel.
Either config would need spacers imo, if your wheels have a similar ET Off-set to a standard VW T6 wheel
Hey Chris thanks again! ET of wheels is 42 so they would stick out 28.1mm further than the stock 205/65/16. I’m guessing the spacers are for just that? Still learning…

tireleader (trusted site I guess?) have the Goodyear’s in 235 for approx £124
And have a rim flange, is that effective? Could be useful with running 235s on a 8j.

Just as an odd ball, I've just fitted these on 18 x 7.5J. Fractionally oversized (6mm) but if comfort is a priority, worth considering perhaps. I be very surprised if they lasted 35k but then they're half the money. I've seen a few magazine reviews but they seem to be a budget tyre that can hold there own with some of the premium brands. Certainly thoroughly impressed with the Maxxis Vansmart Snows that I use in winter. So will see how these fair...

View attachment 40786
Nice

View attachment 40786
Maxxis make awesome MTB tires so I know of the brand. I’ve seen these, seem to get some decent press reviews as well. Let us know how they ride!

I will do @LT2019 . Just need a little more time with them to give them a fair assessment in combination with the new wheel size. (Compare fuel consumption, wet/damp conditions on the twisties, fully loaded and so on). But so far my thoughts on them are favouable, and looking as though the pro's may out weigh the con's. I think Maxxis as a brand are better known for car/van/truck tyres in North America and Asia than they are here. But yes, well known in the cycling world.

stock 255/45/18 size is under rubbered imo (side wall)
245/45/18........well......... is even smaller
But it is all personal opinion

Running 255 45 18 here and that extra 10mm of tread width makes... well let's be honest, not a lot of difference...

It's 10mm meaning the tread on my 255s is 230mm wide and the 245 will be 220mm wide, changing the aspect ratio now that will make a difference to the look of the tyre.:eek:

20200531_183801.jpg20200531_183801.jpg

What tyre pressures are you running?

Off the top of my head 40 psi... ish:whistle:

Definitely don't get any tyre squeal or smearing through corners even though the tyres are the budget type you get with entry level tyre and wheel packages... I'm soooo tight at times.

Back