2022 T6.1 USB-C - Can I add a USB hub to add USB-A

colball

VIP Member
Hi all,

I have a new T6.1 with the Composition Colour head unit and 2 x USB-C ports in the centre console. I would like to add a car play enabled USB-A socket in the glovebox. Is this possible?

I was thinking that perhaps if I added a USB hub I might be able to do it, but wasn't sure if the hubs support both USB A and C?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

It'll depend on a few things:

• If the hub is externally powered as the OEM USB-C sockets may not have enough power to support multiple sockets in a hub
  • If the hub transfers data as well as power

You may be better off using a USB-C to A adapter and then an extension.

Historically CarPlay has been fussy with the input quality so none of the above may work. They used to hate non-genuine Apple cables!

It'll depend on a few things:

• If the hub is externally powered as the OEM USB-C sockets may not have enough power to support multiple sockets in a hub
  • If the hub transfers data as well as power

You may be better off using a USB-C to A adapter and then an extension.

Historically CarPlay has been fussy with the input quality so none of the above may work. They used to hate non-genuine Apple cables!
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of using an OEM VW USB hub, which does have an external power supply.

Would it not be easier to buy a usb-c to lightning cable instead?

What’s the rationale behind wanting usb-a?

Would it not be easier to buy a usb-c to lightning cable instead?

What’s the rationale behind wanting usb-a?
I have a CPLAY2AIR which only comes with a USB-A connector, and I find it a little less reliable when using the USB-C adaptor and I want to get it into the glove box out of the way.

Yes, its

5G0 035 953 D​

That’s a hub for sure but you’ll need additional parts to allow it to plug any USBs into it and it won’t plug into your USB-C port, it’ll functionally replace it so you’ll need to add an LVDS back to the USB-C ports along with adding another LVDS and another port for the CPLAY2AIR device.

The above is a theory, from memory it’s not designed for that but I’ll check the documents for it later.

That’s a hub for sure but you’ll need additional parts to allow it to plug any USBs into it and it won’t plug into your USB-C port, it’ll functionally replace it so you’ll need to add an LVDS back to the USB-C ports along with adding another LVDS and another port for the CPLAY2AIR device.

The above is a theory, from memory it’s not designed for that but I’ll check the documents for it later.
Yes, that was the theory I had, I just didn't know if the hub can mix USB-A and USB-C - wasn't sure if the underlying technology was the same.

I've read so many comments but still cannot locate the fusee/fuses for the 2 USB c ports in my t6.1 panel van. Anyone got a good picture they could share?

Is it not fuse 15 on the fuse board located by drivers right knee?
E96001C6-A4A1-4860-998D-79CFFC8AF409.png
(Note that you can download the full diagram in the downloads area of the forum.)

Back