2021 T6.1 Multivan Highline: my review

Blackhawk

So I picked up my brand spanking new Multivan Highline 2021 last week ( 450 model with diff lock and hill decent) and thought I would post a few observationsI have noticed. The sales people are pretty much hopeless as they just tell you to google anything technical you ask them...so first thing first... its a 100 grand van and doesn't have push to start ( disappointing ) no electric handbrake ( ditto ). Sport mode has been removed from the gear change...why? I did manage to find driving style through the myriad of sub menu's on the digital dash although for the life of me can't find it now?. The tail gate opens electrically by unlocking the vehicle first with the remote, then holding down the tail gate button and it will open automatically... oddly enough it doesn't close using the key. there's also no spare wheel but a space still exists under the van, you now get a compressor and a bottle of gook to seal any punctures .....those are the negatives... to be fair the van is very quick in just the drive mode, it's very comfortable and the electric seats have a lot of options to get you in the right driving position...if anyone has any questions let me know

Sorry, yes it's Australian dollars...still a chunka change for a van with no press to start/ proximity key or electric handbrake still it's nice and comfy on long runs

Hi Blackhawk, also from Aus, hopefully your van doesn't have too many problems. My van, delivered early May 21, also TDI450, 4Motion, Transporter with most of the expensive options available has had constant occasions of smelling hot and engine cooling fan running on when stopped/parked (even though it's winter here) service department claims it's the DPF burn off even though there is no warning light on the dash to indicate that it is happening (this started with less than 1500km on the clock!!!).
Useless Auto headlight sensor that constantly wants to turn on the headlights at all hours of the day and if you haven't put the headlight switch in Auto warning message comes and goes all day, service department says it's not adjustable and is normal!!!!
Media/navigation system will intermittently - not boot up, mutes itself, turns off while on - service department says nothing wrong with it.
But the biggest issue is the under body of the van, it has been coated in sea spray during transport to Australia and has signs of corrosion on several parts underneath - still waiting to see what VW Australia is going to do about it.
I previously had a 2019 T6 with no problems at all. Really pleased with the T6.1 on road performance and comfort but pretty disappointed with the problems so far and service department response.

Hi Blackhawk, also from Aus, hopefully your van doesn't have too many problems. My van, delivered early May 21, also TDI450, 4Motion, Transporter with most of the expensive options available has had constant occasions of smelling hot and engine cooling fan running on when stopped/parked (even though it's winter here) service department claims it's the DPF burn off even though there is no warning light on the dash to indicate that it is happening (this started with less than 1500km on the clock!!!).
Useless Auto headlight sensor that constantly wants to turn on the headlights at all hours of the day and if you haven't put the headlight switch in Auto warning message comes and goes all day, service department says it's not adjustable and is normal!!!!
Media/navigation system will intermittently - not boot up, mutes itself, turns off while on - service department says nothing wrong with it.
But the biggest issue is the under body of the van, it has been coated in sea spray during transport to Australia and has signs of corrosion on several parts underneath - still waiting to see what VW Australia is going to do about it.
I previously had a 2019 T6 with no problems at all. Really pleased with the T6.1 on road performance and comfort but pretty disappointed with the problems so far and service department response.
Hmmm interesting...I had the same burning oil smell which admittedly seems to be dissipating.. not had too many issues so far but the electric tailgate seems to have a mind of its own and needs to be checked by VW.. I'm told our new vans( we bought 2 for our business) were the first in oz.. highline 4 motions 450 tdi with diff locks and hill descent... as it's the highline it has a fairly complicated digital dash and after paying to get a tow bar fitted they had issues coding the heat unit and kept the van for 4 days.. although to their credit lent me another one..I agree with you about the performance. It does seem to be smoother and deliver the power effortlessly compared to my T5 which I owned from 2013.. I'll just see how things go over the next few weeks and post accordingly..btw where in Oz are you based?
Cheers

I also have the Digital Cockpit.
Had the dealer fitted tow bar installed (cost twice that of aftermarket) so it worked in with the digital cockpit but disapointed it doesn't disengage the engine stop/start function as described in the manual.
NSW Central Coast

I also have the Digital Cockpit.
Had the dealer fitted tow bar installed (cost twice that of aftermarket) so it worked in with the digital cockpit but disapointed it doesn't disengage the engine stop/start function as described in the manual.
NSW Central Coast
That's an easy fix.. on the battery there's a small black box.. disconnect this and it disconnects the auto off. which is a pain in the ass anyway

That's an easy fix.. on the battery there's a small black box.. disconnect this and it disconnects the auto off. which is a pain in the ass anyway
Also...I just had the tow bar fitted and thought VW have the software to code the unit properly and of it doesn't work I just keep taking it back

Hi Blackhawk When did you 1st order your van?
And what do they code with the toe bar. I am in
the southern highlands NSW and have a similar
van on order.

Hi Blackhawk When did you 1st order your van?
And what do they code with the toe bar. I am in
the southern highlands NSW and have a similar
van on order.
Hi Fredo. I ordered it around November last year and picked it up mid June...I'm led to believe that the harness is already in. the chassis and then they just connect the tow bar loom to this connector. Then due to the digital dash the head unit has to be recoded. A word of advice, there are 2 looms with the same code for this vehicle but only 1 works which is why my 1st one didn't ...averything seems in order now. Have you got an arrival date for your van?, and have you had one before?. This is my 3rd and they pretty much cover all the bases for me. Skiing in the winter in Thredbo, which is why I got the 4Motion and diff lock with hill descent. Also mountain biking in the summer along with beach trips .

Hi Fredo. I ordered it around November last year and picked it up mid June...I'm led to believe that the harness is already in. the chassis and then they just connect the tow bar loom to this connector. Then due to the digital dash the head unit has to be recoded. A word of advice, there are 2 looms with the same code for this vehicle but only 1 works which is why my 1st one didn't ...averything seems in order now. Have you got an arrival date for your van?, and have you had one before?. This is my 3rd and they pretty much cover all the bases for me. Skiing in the winter in Thredbo, which is why I got the 4Motion and diff lock with hill descent. Also mountain biking in the summer along with beach trips .
Thanks for that info. I ordered mine in December but I dont think I will see it to the end of the year. I have a MB Veto V6 and its been good so I hope the T6.1 will also be a good van. I got lots of stuff ready to put on it but no van yet. I have a great dealer in my area but they have no control on delivery times.

@Blackhawk , @FREDO , @raeelec

Too funny. I am in the Blue Mountains, so a big NSW group.

I'm just about to order a HIghline 4Motion as well. It does slightly kill me that it doesn't have push start and old school handbrake. I was waiting to see what the T7 looks like but not a fan at all even though I do like the panoramic sunroof and individual seats.

Talked to some dealers and they are saying cant guarantee anything at the moment. Pay a deposit and wait and see.

Surprising I'd rather have a key and an actual hand brake, less to go wrong is the way forward on a van surely...?
my mantra entirely, if it isn't broken don't fix it!

Back