2017 T6 204 dsg misfire and smoking

Tom0203

Hi,
My 204 kombi dsg is poorly sick. It broke down while on the motorway at about 75, heavy juddering and smoke from rear. Pulled over and really bad misfire. RAC diagnosed as turbo to get me home to the NW from Brighton. Garage diagnosed EGR valve, replaced and no better. They then swapped injector 1 and still no better. Tolerances on injector 1 still out so another injector was fitted. Yet, shock horror, still no better. It drives better now when it’s warm but still smokes and is fully on 3 cylinders when cold. If anyone’s suffered similar please help. I’m £2k out of pocket and still have no van. Garage is recommending stripping down to investigate internals. ££££££

what garage did you take it to . . .? - a VW dealer?

what year?

have they not miss diagnosed the issue from the start?

+++

loss of power and blue smoke from the exhaust can be a sign of a failed turbo - oil from the bearing being burned and no boost pressure.

faulty injector / leaking could cause white/grey smoke from unburnt diesel?

not sure what EGR may have to do with those symptoms?

Glow plugs normally kick in around below 16degC (@mmi did you have data on that?)

can you get any fault codes from the van?

how does it run when warm?

++++

Reactions: mmi
It’s a 2017. Wasn’t a VW dealer. The egr valve code was present On breakdown and wouldn’t reset. It drives with full power when it’s warm and under load. It’s pretty much a 3 cylinder when cold and Seems lumpy when it’s not under load when warm.
there’s no fault codes present now. It certainly looks like grey smoke.

so you have no codes or engine lights?

but you have got smoke out exhaust?

lots? . . little? . . . can you get a pic or vid clip?

the injector swap-a-roo. - where they coded for the new location in the engine ECU? - was it just a swap or new injector?

Hi,
No lights or engine codes.
It was a new injector and it has been coded. It isn’t a huge amount of smoke (as in it isn’t billowing out) but it tends to smoke more when it’s been sat idling.
the garage are leaning towards an internal mechanical issue as there’s no codes etc.
Rock and a hard place at the minute. Considering taking it to VW for a diagnostics. The biggest kicker is, I should have taken delivery of my new one but…… as we all know, delays delays delays covid covid covid

Lovely little update from the garage today, cylinder 2 is 50psi down on compression. Suspecting an internal catastrophe. Anyone got a 204 engine knocking around their garage? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lovely little update from the garage today, cylinder 2 is 50psi down on compression. Suspecting an internal catastrophe. Anyone got a 204 engine knocking around their garage? *♂️
You beat me to it! reading down the posts I was going to suggest a compression test. Possibly Swarf from EGR metals breaking down maybe getting into oil and scoring cylinder walls. Common fault on 204`s at certain build dates. Sorry to hear the news all the same.

Yeah, it’s not the best news I’ve had this week
I’ve be heard a few bits about the egrs causing havoc. I’m stuck between trying find a second hand engine or go down the rebuild route now.

Yeah, it’s not the best news I’ve had this week
I’ve be heard a few bits about the egrs causing havoc. I’m stuck between trying find a second hand engine or go down the rebuild route now.
Yes, best get prices for both at least then your in a better position to make a decision which way to go. I hope its not too bad Mate.

Possibly Swarf from EGR metals breaking down maybe getting into oil and scoring cylinder walls. Common fault on 204`s at certain build dates.
Any details to share about the dates please?

My t6 102 suffered a terrible misfire and smoke on cold start. Had to change all theee injectors and it was as good as new. My mechanic done a compression test and thought the engine was dead. But it wasn’t!!
Hope this helps! Vw must be getting injectors from Chad valley.

I’m £2k out of pocket and still have no van.
I was going to reply with how do garages stay in business replacing expensive parts without doing some really basic tests such as compression testing.
I guess with 2K here and another 2K there.
I would say politely that they don’t have the customers best interest at heart.
As for looking for a replacement engine without even inspecting the one you have first.

Turns out it was the locking bolt on the cam pulley. The retainer on the back of the pulley had cracked allowing the bolt to work loose. Allowing the engine to get out of time and well………. Happy to say I found a new garage.
Back running happy as Larry apart from needing a new dpf.

Wow. Just shows that we're at the mercy of mechanics. Who identified the actual fault for anyone in that area after a mechanic that knows something about VW's.

Turns out it was the locking bolt on the cam pulley. The retainer on the back of the pulley had cracked allowing the bolt to work loose. Allowing the engine to get out of time and well………. Happy to say I found a new garage.
Back running happy as Larry apart from needing a new dpf.
https://www.t6forum.com/forums/review-a-business of the garage that wasted your time and cash and another for the garage that fixed it might help others make a choice in the future.
Diesel ICE ancilliarys may have got more complex over the years but the ICE basics haven’t changed for decades. There seems to be a common issue with lack of training / awareness in the basics.

Back