2016 180 Bi turbo CFCA engine failure is the EGR valve corrosion the cause of the scored and worn out bores

I fitted just 2 blanks inlet and outlet of the egr. Pipes are in place so i guess may be less obvious than removing the pipes.
When I lived in Oz I had a module that was easily installed and removed for MOT that did the same job as an EGR blanking plate. It was brilliant. Might see if they do one for the Transporter.

Sounds like a stupid question but am looking at a mint 4MOTION T32 DSG 180. Build Dec 2016.

Thanks, that is not too bad.
Get a Millers oils analysis to be confident all is good with the cooler.

Depending on skills, the Tafmet solution should be DIY I would guess.

Reactions: DXX
Get a Millers oils analysis to be confident all is good with the cooler.

Depending on skills, the Tafmet solution should be DIY I would guess.
At the moment if you buy a Miller Oil Analysis Kit (passenger car) from Miller website it’s cheaper than Opie Oils including their discount.
It turns out that it is still supplied by Opie Oils.

I have a new one in a box I am not going to use now if you are interested.

Going cheaper

My EGR has four reasonably thick blanking plates which means the original pipes won’t fit back on. It’s been spotted by two techs who have done oil changes that this will be spotted by an mot tester. So once I have a good oil test post blanking that there is a healthy reduction of aluminium in the oil I will look to modify the pipes and blanking plates so it looks OEM and not messed about with for the mot test later this year. Fingers are crossed. Don’t fancy the bill for a replacement EGR or worse still a new engine.
Get some thinner plates and put the pipes back on

I have a 180ps with a Rev D EGR, I don’t have any noticable oil consumption, DPF soot levels are very low and no noticeable reduction in power.
I have been monitoring with oil analysis and I took the decision to install a Tafmet kit. No issues, recommended to anybody with a 180ps.
Hi there. How do you test the DPF soot levels please?

In a Carista? I can see the soot levels of 14.07 grams in my van. Any idea what good or bad looks like?
No idea what good looks like but I’ve seen various values as low as 8gr and as high as 24gr during sporadic views in Carista. So I know my van is regularly regen’ing during my weekly 200+ mile each way M6 trips. Did I read somewhere over 30gr and auto regen’s might not happen and then need to be forced to do so?

I was chatting a to a guy the other day who has a couple year old 204 and its using a litre of oil every 600-1000 miles. Until these vans I have never heard of such oil consumption, and I wonder how the dpf copes with that running through it?

I was chatting a to a guy the other day who has a couple year old 204 and its using a litre of oil every 600-1000 miles. Until these vans I have never heard of such oil consumption, and I wonder how the dpf copes with that running through it?
204 is a 204. I have a 180 CFCA which is the discussion topic, it has never consumed oil. Oil consumption with a CFCA should never be regarded as normal IMO.

204 is a 204. I have a 180 CFCA which is the discussion topic, it has never consumed oil. Oil consumption with a CFCA should never be regarded as normal IMO.
Are you sure it’s never consumed oil? Or is it being replaced by fuel?

Hi all. I am looking at buying a 2016 T6 180 4Motion Auto with 123k on it. It has been regularly serviced, every 10k and maintained. No oil issues, smoke or engine lights cimjng on. It does have the older C EGR cooler which is a concern. If I have a compression and oil test and compression is normal, and oil contains no aluminium should I be ok knowing no engine damage, and just upgrade the cooler for the newer one? I have been offered a good discount on it by the seller to get this done, and he will also get the co.pression and oil test done for me or do I just move on and leave it? Lovely van with high spec camper conversion, suspension upgrade, lots of new bits too.

So glad i got shot of my 180. Now rocking a 150, still not the most reliable beast but it’s faults don’t tent to be terminal. FYI the 180 also suffers from the DPF blocking causing injectors blowing fuel past the rings filling up the sump with fuel and eventually blowing up due thin oil as well as, EGR problems, turbo problems, injector problems, random smoking and oil leaks 15 years as a Tec for vw really puts you off 180tys
I think this has just answered my questions and I will not buy my dream 4MOTION camper conversion 180 DSG . So gutted but at least I have been offered my deposit back. No issues with it but it is ot just the EGR, I am worried about turbo in the future etc.

If the seller is willing to undergo any test and inspection to assist the sale and the buyers peace of mind, then don’t dismiss it. Especially if priced well. Any van can go wrong new or old or version. So do the due diligence before parting with money.

If the seller is willing to undergo any test and inspection to assist the sale and the buyers peace of mind, then don’t dismiss it. Especially if priced well. Any van can go wrong new or old or version. So do the due diligence before parting with money.
I would agree buying any second hand vehicle is a potential mine field (not just vw transporters). Do some research and make your own judgement. You will never buy any vehicle again if you join every owners forum and read all the horror stories. Getting up and using the vehicle with nothing going wrong doesn't make a good post. Engines going bang does..... Alternatively you pay the extra for vehicle from the manufacturer with warranty . Just my thoughts , good luck with your future purchase

my last two trucks have been L200's, the last one by all accounts suffer with chassis cracks and weak gearboxes, but they were new and almost new respectively with years of warranty.

This old van (2014) with 135k on it, is the oldest thing I have owned for 20 years. Scary as hell handing over a bunch of money in a private sale, and I know way around an engine/cars/vans. I did lots of research and did my best to check the engine out before I bought it. I would be amazed if anyone will let you do a compression test, who pays if a glowplug snaps off taking it out?

This van: Its been okay, I bought something that I think was quite cheap, even if I had to put an engine in it one day. £6 to £10k for a rebuild or vw crate engine fitted. If you are buying a 180 take that into account and you will be okay. My one business owner from new Caravelle is straight as any car I have owned from new. Yep it has some wear and tear and needs a few k spent on it. My concern is any I would have looked at unless were low mileage (which I couldn't afford) will have the potential for issues.

Fact is I couldnt afford an almost new one. This is a second car for us and its mainly used for holidays and mtb transport, if it does more than 4-5k pa it will be a miracle.

I must admit I love having a rolling project, its great fun. I am rebuilding the front suspension next month. I cant wait :)

Back