20 x 10 on a 6.1 Cali advice

Abx

T6 Pro
Hopefully picking my up 6.1 Cali soon and will be needing to fit 20's as soon as it is on coilovers, so probably week 2 of ownership!

Been reading on here and seen some really helpful posts from Bognor Motors, so thanks.

The wheels I've seen are 20x8.5 ET35 front and 20x10 ET42 rear, fronts are fine but I'm worried the rears may catch the door card as the Cali I assume has a wider one, as I've not got the Cali yet I can't measure up myself and test on WillTheyFit so looking for reassurance here! I think it may be close (tyre choice dependent) and I may need to trim the door card, but on a 60K plus van I'm concerned it will look crap!!!

On Tyres, on my old 5.1 camper conversion I had 255 30's and 275 30's but wanted to go for 40's this time to fill the arch a little more and to give me a little more comfort, on the Cali I was thinking of going 255 40's and 275 40's , but on looking on BlackCircles the 255's don't seem to be load rated high enough at max 101 where as the Cali I think is 103, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance and any other options please feel free to pass on.
Arron

Last edited:
Hi Arron, i have just been through this dilemma the last few days and fitted 20x10 on the rear of my 2017 204DSG Caravelle Exec..

The Rears were Et43 20x10 with 255/40/20 the electric doors open ok (passenger side) and just brushes the tyre (not impeding at all) and i am lowered about 55mm - 60mm.. not tried the drivers side as yet but would have thought its the same. will be putting the wheels on Sunday so can confirm the other side is ok then

Those Et's you mention are they Veemann and the new versions are Et43 and not Et42

Reactions: Abx
Thanks so much, and yes please keep me posted.

As for 255 40, how does that sit on a 10" rim as thought a 255 may be too narrow, what wheel and tyre do you have on the front?

And yes they are Veemanns, good to see some more V-FS39's, same wheel I am considering

Looking forward to seeing if they open ok on both sides as I’m wanting a staggered set up on my velle exec and been reading about similar issues. I was originally wanting to go with 9/10.5 staggered Judd 311’s but was told I would need to modify the door cards. Which wheels are they please? Also to add I spoke with Leighton vans the other day and they are in the process of developing a bracket which can be retro fitted to the sliding doors which will then allow a 10.5 rear without any modifications to the door card.

Hopefully picking my up 6.1 Cali soon and will be needing to fit 20's as soon as it is on coilovers, so probably week 2 of ownership!

Been reading on here and seen some really helpful posts from Bognor Motors, so thanks.

The wheels I've seen are 20x8.5 ET35 front and 20x10 ET42 rear, fronts are fine but I'm worried the rears may catch the door card as the Cali I assume has a wider one, as I've not got the Cali yet I can't measure up myself and test on WillTheyFit so looking for reassurance here! I think it may be close (tyre choice dependent) and I may need to trim the door card, but on a 60K plus van I'm concerned it will look crap!!!

On Tyres, on my old 5.1 camper conversion I had 255 30's and 275 30's but wanted to go for 40's this time to fill the arch a little more and to give me a little more comfort, on the Cali I was thinking of going 255 40's and 275 40's , but on looking on BlackCircles the 255's don't seem to be load rated high enough at max 101 where as the Cali I think is 103, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance and any other options please feel free to pass on.
Arron
Modifying the door card on a California? With the camping table mounted in the door, I think it would be challenging to do what you propose. I’ve got very different wheels and tyres to what you are looking at but they are larger than standard. These are 245/65 R17 on 17X8.5 wheels for reference.
B3D33E21-2C48-40E5-A3B2-FE3E2A6D5936.jpeg428F31F5-64A0-4B7B-A137-558F4051A865.jpeg6F8CAE1C-B17A-41A9-AD43-76E7CD79570D.jpeg
The first image is with the door locked open, the second (slightly larger gap) with the door 3/4 open and the third is the door card/table bottom right corner from inside the vehicle.

There is also an issue for some California owners of the sliding door scraping the rear wheel arch; it’s more common on electric sliders than standard, so any wheel/tyre protrusion beyond the wheel arch is likely to snag the door card.

We ususally recommend a 10x20 on the rear ET45 for a Caravelle, Califorina or Shuttle to avoid the door card. With either a 265/40 or 275/35 tyre. It will be very close, but should work, dependant on what suspension setup you are on. It sound savage but worst case scenario you need to Dremel a couple fo mm of the bottom of the door card - Right at the back - You can hardly see it when the door is open or closed.

Happy to offer any advice to help, or we can do the modification, and supply correct wheels and tyres

Thanks Oli, yes it was one of your past posts I had been reading, so my ET being slightly lower at 42 may run me into some issues so the door card mod may be on the cards, any chance of a pic pointing to where I need to dremal?

Do you have a preference on the 265/40 or 275/35, either look better.

Finally what tyre do you recommend for a 8.5 rim?

Thanks and I'm heading to your website to look at wheels now!

Thanks so much, and yes please keep me posted.

As for 255 40, how does that sit on a 10" rim as thought a 255 may be too narrow, what wheel and tyre do you have on the front?

And yes they are Veemanns, good to see some more V-FS39's, same wheel I am considering

255 is in spec for. 10” wheel and not stretched, will get some better pics in the light the weekend as will be fitting them on.. that was just a trial fit and on the rear to make sure it cleared the door. Got 255/40 fitted on the fronts also today

B62CCB68-09D7-4A17-9EFA-436F7B2C7D08.jpeg

D69D5C79-FED7-4BBD-950F-6A17E27787F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes mate, they work fine with the sliding door.... no problems...

I don’t like the wheels thou.. , don’t look right on a red van IMHO so will be up for sale next week

@bamberjim thanks for letting me know. Asking as I’m wanting to get hold of some Judd 311’s but the rears are 10.5 et45. Been on will they fit and with a 255/35 tyre they poke out 4.3mm more than your set up. When you say yours pass, is there any wriggle room??
Shame you don’t like your wheels, I think they look nice. What’s next?

@bamberjim thanks for letting me know. Asking as I’m wanting to get hold of some Judd 311’s but the rears are 10.5 et45. Been on will they fit and with a 255/35 tyre they poke out 4.3mm more than your set up. When you say yours pass, is there any wriggle room??
Shame you don’t like your wheels, I think they look nice. What’s next?
I don’t think they will fit mate, mine brushes the door... also I guess it depends on how low you are

Ok, good to know. Getting coilovers fitted this week so need to decide how low. Can go upto 80mm I think.

Back